• September 27th @ The Blue Jays

Posted by on September 28th, 2010 · Comments (6)

Look out, Melido Perez, you might have company. Thanks to Burnett’s atrocious outing last night (2.1 7 7 7 1 1) the Yankees lost 7-5 and Burnett now sits one loss behind Perez’s mark for most losses by a Yankee pitcher (16) since 1992. Some other sorry facts and figures regarding Burnett’s abysmal performance (courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information):

• Burnett has allowed at least 6 ER in 10 starts this season, the most such starts in a single season since Eric Milton had 10 in 2005 and the most in the AL since Sidney Ponson had 10 in 2004.
    • Only 3 AL pitchers since 1940 have had more starts with at least 6 ER in a season: David Cone (2000), Tim Belcher (1997) and Jim Bibby (1974) each had 11.
    • Since 1920 among Yankees, only David Cone with 11 in 2000, has more than Burnett’s 10.

It’s safe to say that, if not for the $87.5M contract he signed last year, the Yanks should’ve thought about skipping Burnett at some point this year and relegated him to the bullpen.  That they didn’t shows a total lack of regard for Javier Vazquez’s feelings because he’s had the better MLB career but wasn’t spared that humiliation on two separate occasions this year.

As for the rest of the game, Toronto starter Marc Rzepczynski (5 4 2 2 3 9) absolutely shut down Yankee hitters over the first four innings until the lineup made hay in the 5th and 7th innings.  There’s just not much to say here.  If Burnett pitches like a decent MLB pitcher, the Yanks probably win this game.

Coupled with Baltimore’s win over Tampa, Burnett’s stinker hurts just a little bit more.  It’s painful to think that the Yanks could’ve re-taken first place but blew their opportunity.

Comments on September 27th @ The Blue Jays

1. Corey Italiano
      September 28th, 2010 | 11:00 am

I know how this might sound, but I stick to it…

When the ball almost hit Burnett in the head, I was kind of praying that it would glance off of him and give him a mild concussion…or something that would keep him out of the playoffs.

I’m not talking about permanent injury here, just sayin maybe somethin that would put him on the 15 day during the middle of the year.

2. #15
      September 28th, 2010 | 11:00 am

Last night sealed it for me. AJ cannot start in the postseason. Hard to see how Nova can do worse than 7 runs in 2.1 innings.

The sluggish Yankee bats can be somewhat forgiven after the late game on Sunday night and the following flight to Toronto. They scored 5 runs. AJ just needed to keep them in the game.

3. MJ Recanati
      September 28th, 2010 | 11:17 am

@ #15:
      I honestly don’t think Nova is much better. I agree with you that Burnett shouldn’t get a playoff start under normal circumstances but the team just doesn’t have a legitimately better alternative. It has alternatives, but not absolutely better ones.

4. Garcia
      September 28th, 2010 | 11:56 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

I know how this might sound, but I stick to it…

Me too! Then I started adding Joba to that list too.

5. nwyank
      September 28th, 2010 | 12:02 pm

Where to start?
      They are lucky Okajima lost the strike zome, be/cs the offense would not have won that game under their own power.
      It’s home run or nothing. Lester, DiceK, Rzipzinski and various others make the starting 9 look feeble. I’ve always loved Jeter, but does it even make sense to re-sign him? Not hard to find SS who hit .260 w/ minimal power, for a lot less money.
      Run out of patience w/ Burnett. He deserves to be left off the playoff roster. Good luck w/ his replacements, though. The lack of pitching depth in the minors if catching up. Can’t keep buying 30+ yr old free agents and expecting resurrection of old glory.
      I don’t blame Girardi. In general, he’s starting his best players. They’ve just had a horrible month, and more.
      Year 2000 taught me to not predict playoff success by Sept performance, but man I have no confidence in this team.
      Buchholz is very good. Ditto Lester. 2 Cy Young candidates. And I say NYY would not even be going to the playoffs if Youk and Ped were healthy all year. Heck, it still might be the case.

6. #15
      September 28th, 2010 | 2:13 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      So, what’s your call? AJ? Javy? Nova? Mosley? Mitre?