• September 28th @ The Blue Jays

Posted by on September 28th, 2010 · Comments (30)

It took WAY longer than it should’ve but, finally, the Yankees punched their ticket to the 2010 playoffs by beating the Blue Jays 6-1.  In holding down the Blue Jays through eight full innings, CC Sabathia (8.1 3 1 1 2 8 ) put on a clinic of dominance and efficiency until finally losing a bit of steam in the bottom of the ninth inning.

Offensively, the Yankees were effective enough (although by no means perfect) in support of Sabathia’s gem.  So, with the win, the good starting pitching and the workmanlike effort by the lineup, all is well, right?  Well, almost.

After watching Mariano Rivera look shaky over his past few outings, I would’ve preferred that the Yankees throw cannon fodder out for the last two outs of the game instead of spending the valuable bullets remaining in Rivera’s gun.  And therein lies my frustration with Joe Girardi.  In high leverage spots over the past two weeks, Girardi has routinely gone to some of his least-qualified options.  Tonight, in a game where the Yankees needed two outs before they gave up five runs, Girardi went to Rivera.  Perplexing, at least to me.

In any case, the Yankees are now playing for another World Series.  It was a tough road to get here but hopefully this is the sign of better days ahead.

Comments on September 28th @ The Blue Jays

1. September 28th, 2010 | 10:35 pm

Rivera needs to pitch to get the kinks out of his system. He and Eiland have identified a mechanical issue that they were working on. Rivera has never pitched this few innings over a healthy season, and only had fewer appearances in one such season. He had pitched once in the last week. He needed the work.

2. MJ Recanati
      September 28th, 2010 | 10:46 pm

@ yagottagotomo1:
      Agree to disagree my friend.

3. September 28th, 2010 | 10:53 pm

Out of curiosity, did you not want them to use him until the postseason?

4. MJ Recanati
      September 28th, 2010 | 10:59 pm

@ yagottagotomo1:
      I’d have preferred that he be held out a few more days, at least. He was obviously going to work in the bullpen to fix whatever issues he and Eiland were talking about but as far as game action, I don’t see the great need to burn Rivera in meaningless innings when something has clearly been off this month.

5. MJ Recanati
      September 28th, 2010 | 11:00 pm

@ yagottagotomo1:
      I guess to answer your question, they didn’t have to keep him out until the ALDS but they could’ve certainly kept him out of this series, especially as his presence wasn’t necessary in a 6-1 game. I’d have been fine with Rivera not pitching again until Friday in Boston.

6. September 28th, 2010 | 11:05 pm

Fair enough. I guess I have a hard time being critical when he hasnt been used much over the last week and has those mechanical issues. As you said, agree to disagree.

7. Evan3457
      September 29th, 2010 | 1:57 am

Mariano’s use in that spot didn’t seem very unusual to me. In fact, it seemed very usual:

1) Yanks have traditionally had Mo close out everything where there was the remotest chance the opposition could possibly rally.
      2) He has just worked with Eiland and they wanted to try it out.
      3) He was on a day’s rest.
      4) If additional rest is needed, he has up to 6 days off now.

Guess who was on the mound last year in the 9th inning, Game 155, Yanks up 3-0, 6.5 ahead, with 7 to play, closing it out to clinch the division title? You’ll never guess who.

Seems to me that with a magic number of 1 and 7 games left, there’s have been no need to go to Mo for that one. When Mo came in tonight, the Jays were one base runner from a save situation.

The only sour note is that he cutter still wasn’t cutting; he was throwing some cement mixers in there.

8. MJ Recanati
      September 29th, 2010 | 6:49 am

Evan3457 wrote:

The caveat, of course, is that a 3-0 game — even a meaningless 3-0 game — is a save situation and all managers follow convention there.

9. YankCrank
      September 29th, 2010 | 8:49 am

Congrats to the Yankees, and thankfully we get to come back here and debate October baseball for another year.

Idk if i’m the only one thinking this, but let’s really enjoy this one. With the talent and competition growing fast in the AL East, all it will take is a couple big injuries or a couple off years from key players to not make the dance in ’11. Just look at the ’10 Red Sox for example.

They weren’t perfect but they made it, and i’m very excited to watch them play in October again!

10. MJ Recanati
      September 29th, 2010 | 9:04 am

@ YankCrank:
      I agree. We should enjoy it every year and not be so jaded overall as a fan base.

I’d love to win the division too, but that doesn’t appear to be in the cards. Hopefully, however, a sense of pride and a healthy dislike of all things “Red” gives the Yanks 14 more victories this season: three this weekend and another 11 after that.

11. clintfsu813
      September 29th, 2010 | 9:07 am

@ YankCrank:
      I was very humbled after ’08. The Post season is never guaraunteed so lets enjoy every one.
      Also, I know the talent is growing in the East, but I’m pretty confident about the team that Cash has made for the future. We have some good young guys and some pretty damn decent talent in the Farm.
      P.s. Part of me wants Minny, but the other part wants HFA. Thoughts?

12. clintfsu813
      September 29th, 2010 | 9:08 am

And does anyone think there’s a chance in hell that AJ, DOESNT start in the LDS?

13. MJ Recanati
      September 29th, 2010 | 9:17 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

P.s. Part of me wants Minny, but the other part wants HFA. Thoughts?

1) What’s “HFA” stand for?

2) I’d rather play the Rangers without Josh Hamilton, if only because the Twins are due to break through and beat us one of these days.

14. MJ Recanati
      September 29th, 2010 | 9:20 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

I think there’s a chance Girardi goes Sabathia-Pettitte-Hughes and then figures out if Sabathia can go on short rest in Game 4.

If Girardi’s got half a goddamn brain left, that’s what he does. AJ is yesterday’s trash and should only pitch if he has to, not because he’s well-paid or because he won games in last year’s playoffs.

15. Corey Italiano
      September 29th, 2010 | 9:28 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Aren’t they all meaningless for the rest of the year now?

16. MJ Recanati
      September 29th, 2010 | 9:32 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Aren’t they all meaningless for the rest of the year now?

Yes, they are. All I was saying — and, really, you said this yourself the other day too — is that it would make sense to me for Rivera to have gotten more than one day off between appearances, especially considering that last night’s game didn’t require him to pitch in a non-save situation.

17. clintfsu813
      September 29th, 2010 | 9:38 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Home Field Advantage….geez ;)

I agree about AJ, I’m just worried they’ll pitch him solely based on his salary.

18. Corey Italiano
      September 29th, 2010 | 9:48 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Fair enough, and I did say that…but that was also going on the notion that I thought they’d clinch a few days ago. Now there’s not much time to rest them anymore.

If you ask me, it was the right call to pitch him last night. Now they can give him tonight off, Friday off and then pitch him back to back the last 2 nights of the season. I like that best if there’s truly a mechanical flaw (Which who knows).

19. MJ Recanati
      September 29th, 2010 | 9:57 am

@ clintfsu813:
      Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, I don’t see Girardi trying to get the division or home field. We can expect the B-team to play a lot the next few days, starting with Javy Vazquez tonight, in place of Andy Pettitte. Over/under 8 runs by the Jays?

20. clintfsu813
      September 29th, 2010 | 10:14 am

Im gonna go with 8, with Bautista havin a few more to his total. Why are they not pitching Andy? You’re telling me he needs MORE rest?

21. Corey Italiano
      September 29th, 2010 | 10:21 am

@ clintfsu813:
      To set him up to pitch game X (be it 2 or 3)

22. MJ Recanati
      September 29th, 2010 | 10:29 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

To set him up to pitch game X (be it 2 or 3)

Correct. Hopefully it’s Game 2, with Hughes going in Game 3.

Anyone but AJ. There’s just no point in starting him in the playoffs, if it can be avoided. If it can’t, then you just hope for the best.

23. clintfsu813
      September 29th, 2010 | 10:30 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      Just seems like too much rest for a guy that just came back off DL, IMO.

24. Corey Italiano
      September 29th, 2010 | 10:31 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Hopefully it’s Game 2, with Hughes going in Game 3.

To me it depends on whos got home field advantage..if you can pitch Hughes on the road, you do it IMO.

25. Corey Italiano
      September 29th, 2010 | 10:33 am

@ clintfsu813:
      There’s not enough games for him to pitch twice…so you pick the game that sets Pettitte up to pitch in the playoffs on normal rest.

26. clintfsu813
      September 29th, 2010 | 10:37 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      Gotcha.
      P.s. Didnt you get the memo…its called “HFA” frome here on out :D

27. Corey Italiano
      September 29th, 2010 | 10:44 am

@ clintfsu813:
      lol you kids and your crazy acronyms!

28. MJ Recanati
      September 29th, 2010 | 11:12 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

I’d rather never concede games in the playoffs. If your best two starters are CC/Andy, you pitch them in order. I’d rather put myself in the best position for a 2-0 series lead.

29. Corey Italiano
      September 29th, 2010 | 11:14 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      I understand that, but Hughes is much, much better on the road. I’d roll the dice on the splits.

30. MJ Recanati
      September 29th, 2010 | 12:46 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      I like Hughes, but I wouldn’t put that much faith in him yet.