• Robbie Cano, Where’d Ya Go?

Posted by on September 29th, 2010 · Comments (15)

Since August 10th, including tonight’s game, Robinson Cano is batting .280 in his last 186 At Bats. Now, two-eighty ain’t terrible. But, it’s not the .330 that he was batting (on the season) on August 10th. And, in fact, his overall season batting average is now .314 (after tonight’s oh’fer).

If Cano plays all three of the Yankees remaining games and goes one for thirteen in those contests, his season average will be .309 this year. Again, that’s far from poor. And, it’s one point better than his lifetime average (.308) coming into tonight’s game. But, boy, remember when it looked like he was going to bat three-fifty this year?

Comments on Robbie Cano, Where’d Ya Go?

1. G.I. Joey
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:55 am

And yet he is still an MVP candidate.

2. 77yankees
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:36 am

And now doing Nike commercials with Bo Jackson.

And apparently these days…….Bo knows Double Whoppers and Devil Dogs. :-)

3. September 30th, 2010 | 10:53 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

And yet he is still an MVP candidate.

What’s his WAR these days compared to Longoria’s?

4. G.I. Joey
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:09 am

5.5 vs. a 7.6, but it’s not like a 5.5 sucks.

5. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:11 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

What’s his WAR these days compared to Longoria’s?

AL WAR leaders:

Josh Hamilton (8.0)
      Adrian Beltre (7.2)
      Carl Crawford (7.0)
      Jose Bautista (6.7)
      Evan Longoria (6.5)
      Miguel Cabrera (6.4)
      Robinson Cano (6.3)

6. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:12 am

@ G.I. Joey:
      Did you get yours from B-R?

I got mine from Fangraphs.

7. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:15 am

Sabathia for MVP IMO

8. G.I. Joey
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:16 am

@ MJ Recanati:

Yeah, I got mine from B-R.

In any event, I was merely trying to point out that I think that it’s a little nit-picky to highlight this cold streak in what has been a fabulous season for the Yanks second baseman. He may not win the MVP, but I’ll be astonished if he doesn’t get a Gold Glove.

9. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:49 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Sabathia for MVP IMO

Pitchers rarely win MVP’s. To be honest, as good as Sabathia’s been this year, I wouldn’t support his candidacy. He hasn’t even been the best pitcher in the AL so I can’t see how he’d win the de-facto best player award.

10. September 30th, 2010 | 11:53 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

CC would get my vote. Take him off the Yankees this season and then they’re the Toronto Blue Jays.

11. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:55 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Depends on your definition of MVP. For the BBWA, it’s often (most) times the best player in the league.

To me, it’s the most valuable. There’s no 1 player, in my mind, that’s more important to their team than Sabathia is to the Yankees. I can’t imagine this team making the playoffs without him. Hamilton was very important to the Rangers, but I think they have a chance to make the playoffs had he missed half the year.

I agree that he’s not even the best pitcher in the AL, and would give the Cy Young to one of the other often mentioned candidates. I may be alone in this line of thinking but, again, I’m going with value to their team.

12. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:13 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Take Hamilton off the Rangers, they’re not very good either. Ditto Cabrera and the Tigers, etc. Your argument is too simplistic.

13. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:19 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Yes, but the AL West is garbage. The Ranger would still have a shot at the playoffs.

Personally, I think the MVP should come from a playoff team. But then again, this is all my opinion and the MVP will be voted on by “Greater” baseball minds.

14. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:52 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      It doesn’t matter if the division is garbage or not. The AL Central is garbage too, so should Joe Mauer never win another MVP again because he plays all those games against the Royals and Indians? Jeter was robbed of an MVP in 2006 but, truly, the AL East wasn’t that competitive that year so was that a fair downgrade of Jeter’s value?

15. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 2:00 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      I never said that, I’m just saying that in 2010 I think that Sabathia means more to his team’s chances at making the playoffs than Hamilton does to the Rangers. Thus has more value, to me.