• Sympathy For The Devil

Posted by on September 29th, 2010 · Comments (12)

Don’t get me wrong. I never want to see Javy Vazquez pitching in a game, ever again, while wearing a Yankees uniform. But, at the same time, I kinda/sorta feel bad for the guy, at this moment, with respect to his 2010 season. I mean, after all, it’s not like he’s doing this on purpose. No one could possibly want to suck as bad as he has sucked this year, right?

Comments on Sympathy For The Devil

1. JeremyM
      September 29th, 2010 | 11:26 pm

I feel bad for him too. I mean, he’s toast basically. It looked like he had maybe figured some things out, but he crashed even harder than before. So much for having a decent #4 for the playoffs….

2. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      September 29th, 2010 | 11:27 pm

At least Javy appears to be upset by his failure. Burnett on the other hand has faith Joe will keep him in the rotation. That has to be sheer stupidity to expect that AND to do it!!!

3. JeremyM
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:33 am

Let me add one more thing- one guy I do not feel sorry for is Austin Kearns. If you look at the way he has performed over the last month and the playing time he’s received, you could make a case that he has cost the Yankees the division. He has been awful, and he certainly earns the ‘K’ in his name. I shudder to think at how many RISP he has had with less than 2 outs.

4. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      September 30th, 2010 | 1:10 am

@ JeremyM
      Would you have been happier with Randy Winn?

5. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 8:50 am

RobertGKramer@AOL.Com wrote:

Would you have been happier with Randy Winn?

Seeing as though Kearns didn’t arrive in New York until August 1st and Winn was cut on May 22nd, it’s hardly a fair point you’re trying to make. The Yanks didn’t release Winn for Kearns, after all.

6. JeremyM
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:25 am

Actually, I’d be happier if he wasn’t taking at-bats from Gardner.

I understood when Gardner was hurt, but now they seem to be in some kind of platoon, which makes no sense to me. Gardner is about the same against lefties offensively (slightly better from what I can tell), with better speed and defense.

7. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:43 am

@ JeremyM:
      Agreed, there’s nothing that Kearns brings to the table IMO.

8. September 30th, 2010 | 9:48 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Agreed, there’s nothing that Kearns brings to the table IMO.

Zach McAllister?

Seriously, FWIW, Kearns did get off to a good start:

9. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:55 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Zach McAllister?

What’s he got to do with it (besides being the PTBNL in the Kearns deal)? McAllister had an atrocious 2010 season and was passed over by several other pitchers on the list of prospects.

10. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:57 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Zach McAllister?

I don’t get it.

What I was saying is that Kearns offers us aboslutely nothing. He’s not a plus defender, he’s got nothing to offer at the plate.

11. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      September 30th, 2010 | 4:06 pm

@MJ
      To me Berkman, Kearns, and Wood were all at least indirect replacements for Johnson, Park, and Winn. They fill the same rolls.

I like Kearns over Winn and wonder if you feel the same?

12. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 4:16 pm

@ RobertGKramer@AOL.Com:
      You could look at it that way, I suppose.

I like Kearns over Winn for the simple reason that Kearns has a pulse while Winn was already DOA by the time the Yanks signed his corpse.

That being said, Kearns doesn’t bring much to the table either. He started out well enough but has become a worthless player.