• Yankeeland Not Too Confident About Their Team’s Chances In ALDS?

Posted by on September 29th, 2010 · Comments (20)

I just had a quick exchange with four other Yankees fans. These four are long-time Yankees fans. Go to a lot of games at the Stadium. Watch just about every game on TV. Wear Yankees gear a lot of the time when not dressed for work. And, two of them have actually traveled to see the team play out west at sundry times.

Here’s how it went down:

Steve: So, do you like the Yankees chances in the post-season this year?
    John: No, not at all.
    Tara: I’m not too confident. Minnesota and Texas are so strong, both hitting and pitching. Our pitching is inconsistent, and you know that pitching makes the world go ‘round.
    Carmen: I’m not as confident as last year, that’s for sure. Minnesota is better. I think they are going to regret playing so poorly lately and not winning the division, because having to maybe play a Game Five or Seven on road could come back to burn them.
    Bill: CC and lots of rain…that’s their best chance.

Sound like a conversation that you’ve had lately with any of your Yankees fan friends?

Comments on Yankeeland Not Too Confident About Their Team’s Chances In ALDS?

1. Corey Italiano
      September 29th, 2010 | 4:44 pm

Twins vs. non AL central opponents = 46-40

2-4 vs. The Chanks

I’m confident.

2. alterity
      September 29th, 2010 | 4:55 pm

Yankeeland = 4 people Steve knows.

3. Garcia
      September 29th, 2010 | 5:16 pm

They’ve played badly, but they are in it — that’s all that matters. No? I’d like for them to win the division, but even if it doesn’t happen, then I doubt this will be going thru Tex’s brain when he’s batting in the top of the 9th: “shit, man, if only we had home-field advantage, i would be doing this back in nyc, my pajamas would be warm when i got home and I’ll be able to go to one of the 10 million Ray’s Pizza in NYC”.

I think nobody really knows how the Yanks will do, we have holes, so do other teams, but I doubt there’s any team saying: “it’s going to be so easy to beat the Yanks this year”. These men are competitors. The post-season hero could very well be Joba (whom I hate) and Granderson (whom I love), or our goats can be CC and Tex. Nobody knows a thing.

BTW, where are your anti-Granderson posts?

4. 77yankees
      September 29th, 2010 | 6:17 pm

Let’s imagine what a conversation between Twins fans is leading up to next week:

Twins Fan #1: Boy, I hope we don’t have to play the Yankees next week. We’re snake bit against them.

Twins Fan #2: Yeah, they’re the champs and we’re always intimidated against them. Look at the base running blunders we made against them last year. And that blown call in Game 2 – the Yankees always get the breaks

TF #1: Who knows how good Mauer will be all banged up? And no Morneau. Or Joe Nathan….but hey, look at how bad he’s blown up against NY in the past – maybe it’s a plus he’s out – LOL. But Matt Capps……..

TF #2: Yeah, a guy who pitched for the Pirates and Nationals – the last time he pitched in a pressure environment was probably in high school.

TF #1: We’re playing well at Target Field and we may have the home field, but hey, we couldn’t even beat them in the Metrodome in the playoffs.

TF #2: Sure, remember Santana tired in Game 4 in the Dome in 2004, and then Sierra hit that bomb to tie it?

TF #1: Yeah, I’m not confident at all, but hey, we still got the Vikes!!!

5. The Sandman
      September 29th, 2010 | 6:48 pm

According to Bodog.com the odds for teams to win the 2010 WS
      Yankees 275
      Philies 275
      Rays 400
      Twins 650
      Reds 900
      Rangers 1000

These are the amounts you win if you make a $100 bet. Yankees and Philies are the two favorites. I’m guessing the guys making these odds are more informed than “Yankeeland”.

6. jay
      September 29th, 2010 | 6:53 pm

Actually, it sounds like 4 random Mike Francessa callers. You guys must have a blast watching games together.

7. Garcia
      September 29th, 2010 | 7:29 pm

jay wrote:

That’s a hilarious thought. I love seeing Francessa with his cardigans and telling Steve, “YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT”.

8. September 29th, 2010 | 10:41 pm

You guys are all going to show up after the ALDS is over this year, right? Or, is it going to be like when the Yankees lost 6 of 7 this month – and were a Swisher walk-off HR away from losing seven in a row – and all the snarky internet humps were hiding because their fav Yankee fanboy chest-thumping shirts were out to the cleaners?

9. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      September 29th, 2010 | 11:21 pm

Well Steve, I hate to travel at all, watch over 300 games on TV and computer(AAA included), went to seven games this year (all minor league), am now watching AZ vs. SF on TV and am about to pull up CC vs. SD on computer, don’t work so I always have a Yankee cap on when I’m awake and not dressed formaly and am a fan for 60 years. I like the Yankees chances as well as any team. But, if they fall out of the Playoffs, I’ll make do switching to one of my Phillies caps and cheer for them. FYI, I was known as the “Baseball Junkie” on another blog until yesterday.

10. YankCrank
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:06 am

To be honest, most of the conversations have either sounded like your conversation or something along the lines of “What the hell do you do with AJ Burnett?”

I’m as optimistic a Yankee fan you can find, but i’ll even agree the way they’ve been playing has left me less confident than I was a month ago.

11. Garcia
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:18 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

So you’re saying you can’t wait till they get bounced out of the playoffs so you can:
      1. Puff your chest out and tell us how you knew it all along.
      2. Tell us how we are all too blinded by the interlocking NY to see the forest for the trees but, not you.
      3. How Cashman sucks.
      4. How Hughes isn’t a major leaguer.
      5. How the Granderson trade was awful.
      (didn’t include Javy, Nick Johnson or AJ since I figured that would be used as ammunition for #2)

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Yeah, at some point even a broken record gets old. Watching Yankee games is fun enough, and at times frustrating enough, it’s fun to talk and banter about with my friends. It’s not about coming here to show face so you can wag your finger at us, but it can be that for you. To each their own. If they lose so be it, but at least I can honestly say I’m not looking forward to it.

12. September 30th, 2010 | 12:44 am

Garcia wrote:

So you’re saying you can’t wait till they get bounced out of the playoffs so you can.

Nope, I’m saying that this is the first time that the Yankees have gone into the ALDS, in the last 16 years, where I didn’t feel that they should win the ALDS. Even when they lost in 1995, 1997, 2002, 2005, 2006 and 2007, I felt like they had a shot to win going into those ALDS. This time, that’s not the case.

13. September 30th, 2010 | 12:46 am

YankCrank wrote:

Yeah, but, were you talking to random Mike Francessa callers too? ;-)

14. September 30th, 2010 | 12:48 am

@ RobertGKramer@AOL.Com:

It will be interesting to see if we’re going to have a repeat of the 2008 or 2009 WS this year.

September 30th, 2010 | 1:15 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Given the way those series turned out, then not expecting them to win this year’s a good thing, isn’t it? :D

16. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      September 30th, 2010 | 1:18 am

Sure looks to me like it will be all east coast by the LCS or at least east of Illinois.

17. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      September 30th, 2010 | 1:19 am

Both LCS.

18. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 8:45 am

@ The Sandman:
      Betting odds represent the best way to get betting action on both sides of a number. The Yankees have gotten money and moved their payoff down but I’d hardly imagine that the sharps setting lines know more about baseball than any other similarly knowledgeable baseball fan.

19. BOHAN
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:03 am

i dont think minnesota’s pitching is that much better then ours if at all… ill take cc pettite hughes over liriano pavano duensing/slowey/blackburn. and theyre lineup isnt nearly as good as ours. and i think itll be easier playing in target field then the metrodome. that metrodome got loud as hell when the fans got into it and that roof made it pretty damn hard for visiting teams.

20. 77yankees
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:38 am

BOHAN wrote:

And the Yanks still beat them there too!