• A-Rod’s Strong Finish While Yankees Are Losing

    Posted by on September 30th, 2010 · Comments (42)

    In his last 18 games, including last night, Alex Rodriguez’ BA/OBA/SLG line is .290/.378/.667 (in 82 PA).

    And, in fact, A-Rod has slugged 8 homeruns and had 23 RBI in these 18 games.

    However, the Yankees have gone 7-11 in these same 18 games. And, half of those eight big flies by Alex have come in games that the Yankees lost.

    Overall, this season, to date, the Yankees are 18-7 in games when A-Rod hits a homerun. So, this “homering in losses” thing is somewhat isolated to the last 18 games for Rodriguez.

    Of course, if the Yankees were playing better, this would all be moot since then the homeruns would have come in wins. But, clearly, as great as A-Rod has been swinging the bat lately, it hasn’t translated into many wins for the team.

    Comments on A-Rod’s Strong Finish While Yankees Are Losing

    1. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:45 am

      Wow.

    2. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:47 am

      Corey Italiano wrote:

      Wow.

      You’re surprised?

      Last year, when A-Rod hit #30 in Tampa, there was a post with something to the effect of him hitting that second HR in an act of selfishness. As if batters are supposed to swing and miss on purpose, just so no one gets the wrong idea.

    3. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:54 am

      @ MJ Recanati:
      I know…but after all the posts about how terrible the starting pitching has been…I thought maybe, just maybe this wouldn’t come.

    4. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:58 am

      @ Corey Italiano:
      Nah…it is what it is at this point. When it comes to A-Rod, nothing will ever be good enough.

    5. G.I. Joey
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:59 am

      We’ll just have to see if he has any HR’s this postseason and if they translate to wins. My guess is yes.

    6. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:01 am

      G.I. Joey wrote:

      We’ll just have to see if he has any HR’s this postseason and if they translate to wins. My guess is yes.

      I’m with you. And I find it encouraging that Alex is playing his best baseball right now. If he can stay hot for another few weeks, he gives the Yanks a really good shot to win again. He’s the only impact bat in the lineup at this point (beyond Granderson).

    7. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:01 am

      @ G.I. Joey:
      And then we can question if he was on HGH or not

    8. September 30th, 2010 | 10:09 am

      In his last 18 games, including last night, Alex Rodriguez’ BA/OBA/SLG line is .290/.378/.667 (in 82 PA).

      This is a FACT.

      And, in fact, A-Rod has slugged 8 homeruns and had 23 RBI in these 18 games.

      This is a FACT.

      However, the Yankees have gone 7-11 in these same 18 games. And, half of those eight big flies by Alex have come in games that the Yankees lost.

      This is a FACT.

      Overall, this season, to date, the Yankees are 18-7 in games when A-Rod hits a homerun. So, this “homering in losses” thing is somewhat isolated to the last 18 games for Rodriguez.

      This is a FACT.

      What’s that old line about some not wanting the truth because they can’t handle it?

    9. September 30th, 2010 | 10:09 am

      Oh, and this is a FACT too:

      Of course, if the Yankees were playing better, this would all be moot since then the homeruns would have come in wins. But, clearly, as great as A-Rod has been swinging the bat lately, it hasn’t translated into many wins for the team.

    10. September 30th, 2010 | 10:10 am

      Everything stated in this post is a FACT. So, what’s the beef?

    11. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:11 am

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      It has nothing to do with the truth, it has to do with your slant. You’re making it seem like the Yankees are losing because A-Rod is hitting home runs, or that A-Rod only wants to hit home runs when they are losing.

      I mean, I feel like an Indians fan beating the same drum for years…there has to be a time where you can let it go otherwise you’re going to drive yourself nuts for the better part of this decade.

    12. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:12 am

      If the pitching gives up 8 runs a night, what is A-Rod gonna do? Knock in 9 runs a game?

    13. September 30th, 2010 | 10:14 am

      Corey Italiano wrote:

      You’re making it seem like the Yankees are losing because A-Rod is hitting home runs, or that A-Rod only wants to hit home runs when they are losing.

      That’s projection on your part and unfair and not true. What I wrote was: As great as A-Rod has been swinging the bat lately, it hasn’t translated into many wins for the team.

      Period.

      And, again, that’s 100% FACT.

    14. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:16 am

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      Then where’s the same post on Granderson? Why A-Rod?

    15. September 30th, 2010 | 10:17 am

      @ Corey Italiano: Has Granderson hit 8 HR in his last 18 games?

    16. September 30th, 2010 | 10:20 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      @ Corey Italiano: Has Granderson hit 8 HR in his last 18 games?

      Just checked, he has 7 HR in the last 18, and the Yanks are 7-11 in them. So, yes, the same exact things said here can be said about Granderson. Good find Corey. I was not aware of that.

    17. September 30th, 2010 | 10:22 am

      Then again, Granderson has 7 HR in his last 13 games. And, the Yankees are 6-7 in those games. So, maybe it’s not exactly like A-Rod? PERHAPS that’s up for debate?

    18. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:27 am

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      A-Rod too has 7 homers in his last 13 games.

    19. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:30 am

      @ Corey Italiano:
      And the team is 6-7 in both 13 game stretches for A-Rod and the Grandy Man

    20. September 30th, 2010 | 10:43 am

      Wouldn’t it just have been easier for everyone involved to say that its pretty transparently a *good* thing that the team’s best offensive player is getting hot heading into the playoffs following a year where he was out-of-his-mind hot in the playoffs?

    21. JeremyM
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:49 am

      Steve, I guess the point is what’s the point? Yes, these are facts, but what does it have to do with anything? The way I read it is that they would be worse than 7-11 in these last 18 games if A-Rod wasn’t hitting so well. Is that your argument? Likely not :) It seems like you’re making the argument that A-Rod’s hitting is not beneficial to the team because everyone else has decided to suck (other than Granderson) while A-Rod has went on a tear.

    22. September 30th, 2010 | 10:49 am

      Corey Italiano wrote:

      :
      And the team is 6-7 in both 13 game stretches for A-Rod and the Grandy Man

      So, that tells us that as great as A-Rod AND Grandy have been swinging the bat lately, it hasn’t translated into many wins for the team.

      And, that’s exactly what I wrote in this post. Sans the Grandy inclusion.

    23. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:06 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      So, that tells us that as great as A-Rod AND Grandy have been swinging the bat lately, it hasn’t translated into many wins for the team.

      But, as JeremyM wrote directly above, why is this a noteworthy fact to point out? If there’s no larger negative correlation you’re trying to make, what new, revelatory information did we gain here?

    24. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:08 am
    25. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:14 am

      @ Corey Italiano:
      LOL!

    26. September 30th, 2010 | 11:19 am

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      But, as JeremyM wrote directly above, why is this a noteworthy fact to point out?

      It’s the “team first” concept in me, I guess? Many are quick to point out how great A-Rod (and Grandy) have been lately. And, my first thought to that is “What does it mean for the team?” – because the team result is all that matters, in the end. Thus, that’s why I wanted to see, and share, what I found WRT to how the good recent fortunes of batter have helped the team, or not, or how much, etc.

    27. Garcia
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:35 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      MJ Recanati wrote:
      But, as JeremyM wrote directly above, why is this a noteworthy fact to point out?
      It’s the “team first” concept in me, I guess? Many are quick to point out how great A-Rod (and Grandy) have been lately. And, my first thought to that is “What does it mean for the team?” – because the team result is all that matters, in the end. Thus, that’s why I wanted to see, and share, what I found WRT to how the good recent fortunes of batter have helped the team, or not, or how much, etc.

      Steve, I was all ready to post this:

      This where I don’t get it, I didn’t see any slant about A-Rod. These were all, as Steve put it, FACTS. Why are people so paranoid when it comes to all things A-Rod?

      ——
      But then I just saw your last comment, now I see the slant. You’re off here, IMHO.

    28. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:41 am

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      The “team first” concept? Huh? What you just said makes absolutely no sense to me. It’s not even worth starting a back-and-forth about it.

      If you want to sit there thinking that A-Rod or Granderson aren’t good because the team is losing while they’re playing great ball, I guess that’s your right.

    29. September 30th, 2010 | 11:51 am

      What does it say about the state of Yankees fans, if, on the morning of September 30th, the biggest discussion topic is whether or not A-Rod is being properly respected as opposed to discussing the impact of Andy Pettitte’s bad back and the impact it may have on the team’s chances in the ALDS?

    30. Garcia
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:55 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      What does it say about the state of Yankees fans, if, on the morning of September 30th, the biggest discussion topic is whether or not A-Rod is being properly respected as opposed to discussing the impact of Andy Pettitte’s bad back and the impact it may have on the team’s chances in the ALDS?

      Because Pettite’s bad back requires a doctor, perpetuating a fraud that certain players only do well when the Yankees lose is something we can easily prove you wrong on. IMHO.

    31. Garcia
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:00 pm

      Steve, it just comes across as petty, like these players kicked your dog or something. I certainly didn’t have a problem with your original post and your initial defense of it in the comments section, but then you started associating their success with the Yankees losing and I think many people don’t see the correlation. So, very simply, how do you see that correlation?

      Basically what I’d like to see is a bunch of FACTS that prove these players only want to play well when the Yanks lose. If you can’t supply that information, then it’s real easy to see why this is being challenged more than stating there’s empirical evidence stating Pettite has a bad back.

    32. September 30th, 2010 | 12:09 pm

      Garcia wrote:

      Because Pettite’s bad back requires a doctor, perpetuating a fraud that certain players only do well when the Yankees lose is something we can easily prove you wrong on. IMHO.

      …a fraud that certain players only do well when the Yankees lose…?

      Whoa. When did I say that here? Did you miss the part where I wrote:
      Overall, this season, to date, the Yankees are 18-7 in games when A-Rod hits a homerun.

    33. throwstrikes
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:15 pm

      I’d be more concerned with the teams record when a starting pitcher can’t get through the 5th inning, when a reliever blows a lead or when the players leave a small village on the bases more than the Yankees record when A-Rod hits a HR.

      To each their own.

    34. Garcia
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:28 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Whoa. When did I say that here? Did you miss the part where I wrote:
      Overall, this season, to date, the Yankees are 18-7 in games when A-Rod hits a homerun.

      No, you implied it here:

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Many are quick to point out how great A-Rod (and Grandy) have been lately. And, my first thought to that is “What does it mean for the team?” – because the team result is all that matters, in the end. Thus, that’s why I wanted to see, and share, what I found WRT to how the good recent fortunes of batter have helped the team, or not, or how much, etc.

    35. Garcia
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:31 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      So, that tells us that as great as A-Rod AND Grandy have been swinging the bat lately, it hasn’t translated into many wins for the team.

      And there.

    36. JeremyM
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:48 pm

      Well, all I know is that the TEAM doesn’t win the Series last year without him, and doesn’t sniff the playoffs a few years during his time with the club. And the spectacle seems to have basically disappeared from the guy, so I have no problems with him. I’d sure take another October like last season from him….

    37. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:53 pm

      JeremyM wrote:

      I’d sure take another October like last season from him….

      Many Yankee fans are right there with you. I know I sure am.

    38. September 30th, 2010 | 1:03 pm

      Garcia wrote:
      No, you implied it

      One man’s “you implied it” is another man’s “you’re putting words in my mouth that aren’t there.”

    39. Garcia
      September 30th, 2010 | 1:21 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Garcia wrote:
      No, you implied it
      One man’s “you implied it” is another man’s “you’re putting words in my mouth that aren’t there.”

      Wow, Steve, you were pretty explicit here:
      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      So, that tells us that as great as A-Rod AND Grandy have been swinging the bat lately, it hasn’t translated into many wins for the team.

      So the moral of the story, when they play good the Yanks lose and you somehow see a correlation there. Again, I had no problem with your original post, but in the comments section you made it pretty obvious what you trying to imply and then explicitly stated. So, no, I never put words in your mouth that weren’t already set in motion by your own boca.

    40. Evan3457
      September 30th, 2010 | 7:24 pm

      A-Rod’s WPA for the season: +3.689
      For the last 20 games: +1.761

      +1.761 WPA for 20 games is +14 WPA for the season. That simply never happens.

      Included in this 20-game stretch are 3 enormous, game reversing blows by A-Rod in the late innings, only 2 of which became the game-winning blows because of Mariano blowing 2 saves.

      A-Rod’s been huge in pushing the Yanks toward wins in this stretch. Granderson’s had a number of huge hits himself. The rest of the team has been pushing harder in the other direction, that’s all.

      What this points up is the absurdity of the idea that one player (or even two) can “carry” a baseball team for any significant length of time.
      ========================================================
      To be fair, I really don’t think Steve meant to insult A-Rod here. More of a lament that all of his good hitting has been to little effect. I didn’t detect any snark in his original post.

      I could be wrong, but I don’t think so.

    41. Evan3457
      September 30th, 2010 | 7:25 pm

      Edit fail:

      Of the 3 enormous, game-reversing blows, only ONE became the game-winner; the 3-run shot in the 9th in Baltimore off of Uehara.

    42. BOHAN
      October 1st, 2010 | 12:27 pm

      “half of those eight big flies by Alex have come in games that the Yankees lost.”
      this also means half have come in wins

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.