• September 29th @ The Blue Jays

Posted by on September 30th, 2010 · Comments (7)

Funny, I could’ve sworn I set the unofficial over/under on last night’s score at eight runs for the Blue Jays.  Sure enough, the Yanks dropped the rubber match to the Jays by a score of 8-4, courtesy of Javier Vazquez’s last performance in pinstripes (one would imagine, anyways).  Coupled with Baltimore’s defeat of Tampa, the Yankees wasted their last and best chance to overtake the Rays in the race for the AL East division title.  Well…at least I know I can fall back into a life of professional gambling if this whole career thing doesn’t work out.

Apart from Vazquez’s likely final humiliation as a member of the Yankees (4.2 10 7 7 2 0), the only other noteworthy point to make from this game involves A-Rod’s personal milestone.  With his 30th homer of the season, Alex extended his MLB-record streak of consecutive 30 HR/100 RBI seasons to 13 (1998-present) and extended his MLB-record streak of 30 HR/100 RBI seasons to a 14th season, two more than Babe Ruth’s previous record.

Congrats to Alex!  It hasn’t been an easy year for him but, once again, he reminds us that we are truly lucky to have him as a part of our beloved ballclub.  Alex may not be for everyone but he’s still one hell of a great baseball player.

Comments on September 29th @ The Blue Jays

1. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:42 am

A-Rod is a beast.

2. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:46 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      He most certainly is. Even at 35 and clearly not what he was just a few years ago, he’s still better than most.

3. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:55 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      I don’t know…I have a feeling he was playing hurt for much of the year. Just take a look at the numbers he’s put up lately..that’s classic A-Rod stuff.

Guess we’ll find out next year.

4. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 9:59 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      I agree completely. But the issue is that his aging has caused him to be more injury prone or subject to those long stretches of time where he’s ineffective.

When he’s on, he’s on. But he’s just on less often or has longer periods of being off.

I agree, however, that we’ll find out next year. My gut tells me that 2008, 2009 and 2010 were all too similar to expect that 2011 would be any different. He’s getting up there and the body can’t do what it used to on a 150-game basis.

5. 77yankees
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:31 am

You can’t expect him to keep putting up .320-45-130 every year. If he keeps going at .280-30-110 for a few more years, would anyone find that unacceptable?

6. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 10:40 am

@ 77yankees:
      I certainly wouldn’t. If A-Rod goes .280-30-110 for another three or four years, that would be fantastic.

7. nwyank
      September 30th, 2010 | 12:40 pm

Feel great for Alex, bad for Javy. The stuff just isn’t there.
      Is that 10 straight losses against lefties? Cecil 4 wins vs NY in 1 year? This Sept has been very frustrating, despite earning postseason bearth. Expected more from this team.
      No confidence in either NYY pitching or hitting going into next week, but they’ve fooled me before.