• The Extra Mile?

Posted by on September 30th, 2010 · Comments (9)

ESPN Boston just published an abridged transcript of Boston GM Theo Epstein’s radio interview with WEEI-850AM and, among the usual generalities that come with GM-speak, I saw this little nugget:

On getting outbid by the Yankees for Kerry Wood at the trade deadline:

“There were four major league relievers who were traded during the year who ended up helping their club, five if you count August, when [Brian] Fuentes was moved. Two of those guys we had given opportunities before…One…we couldn’t have gotten unless we gave up [Daniel] Bard, and Fuentes was behind us in the waiver order, and the last one was Kerry Wood.

“That was an important decision. We scouted [Wood] on rehab, we liked what we saw. He was available last minute at the deadline … and we put in what I thought was a pretty aggressive financial bid for him and we were outbid by the Yankees when they were willing to take on just a little bit more of his salary. It ended up being a great move for them and cost us.

I’ve added the emphasis to point out that the Yankees took on $1.5M of the remaining $3.67M on Wood’s contract at the time of the trade.  I find it somewhat hard to believe that Boston couldn’t pony up that kind of money if they felt that Kerry Wood would give them a greater chance to be competitive.  Either Epstein is blowing smoke and trying to deflect criticism by once again evoking the fictional “little Red engine that could” or he never intended to trade for Wood at all.

What was it that George Steinbrenner once said about Red Sox executive Larry Luccino when the Red Sox famously let Alex Rodriguez end up in New York instead of Boston?  “Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra mile for his fans in Boston.”

I never thought Kerry Wood and $1.5M would be another case of the same, sad story in Boston.  They live for self-deception up there in the so-called Hub.

Comments on The Extra Mile?

1. Corey Italiano
      September 30th, 2010 | 4:59 pm

Teflon GM?

2. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 5:08 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Teflon GM?

To be fair, I don’t live in Boston or read any Red Sox blogs to know how he’s covered or if he has his share of detractors.

I probably wouldn’t call him a “Teflon GM” simply because it would be hypocritical of me to say that about Theo when I so strongly argue against that charge for our own GM.

Theo is a very good GM. He’s just not perfect, as no GM’s are perfect.

September 30th, 2010 | 6:54 pm

They were probably better off keeping Bard, anyway.

4. MJ Recanati
      September 30th, 2010 | 7:15 pm

Raf wrote:

They were probably better off keeping Bard, anyway.

With respect to trying to trade for Matt Capps, yes, absolutely they were right to keep Bard. But the offer likely wasn’t Bard for Wood so, to me, the Red Sox passing on Wood was because they had conceded the playoffs. If they were really in it to win this year on July 31st, $1.5M wouldn’t have stood in the way.

5. KPOcala
      September 30th, 2010 | 11:27 pm

Peter Gammons has paved the so-called Red Sox Nation propaganda BS on so thick that every other idiot believes that “little Red engine that could” thing across the country. I can’t stand listening to the talking heads at ESPN anymore… Funny thing about GMs, they can go from being a “genius” to an idiot inside of 5 years, stay tuned…

6. MJ Recanati
      October 1st, 2010 | 6:29 am

@ KPOcala:
      I’m with you 100%. Gammons and ESPN have done Boston’s bidding for years and it’s nauseating.

7. G.I. Joey
      October 1st, 2010 | 9:44 am

@ KPOcala:
      @ MJ Recanati:

I stopped watching that hack channel years ago. Thank god for the MLB Network.

8. Corey Italiano
      October 1st, 2010 | 9:49 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

Thank god for the MLB Network.

Agreed.

9. MJ Recanati
      October 1st, 2010 | 10:25 am

@ G.I. Joey:
      @ Corey Italiano:
      Me too. ESPN is rubbish at this point. John Kruk? That’s the best they could do?