• Big Question In Yankeeland As We Head Into The ALDS

Posted by on October 3rd, 2010 · Comments (12)

Lest we forget…the Yankees have lost 17 of their last 26 games this season. And, that should lead to some questions on how they’ll do this post-season.

Of course, to the Yankees faithful, at least those who turn a blind eye towards the perils of exaggerated self pride or self-confidence, the questions are more along the lines of “Why so serious?” and/or “What me worry?”

But, back on planet earth, the question remains – can the Yankees get it up for the ALDS?

What do you think?

Comments on Big Question In Yankeeland As We Head Into The ALDS

1. October 3rd, 2010 | 9:04 pm

I think it all depends on Pettitte. If he can get it going, they have 3 solid starters heading into October and a deep lineup that can actually run a bit, unlike in the past. If he’s weak, 2 starters might not be enough. Then again, the Rays and Twins have major question marks in their rotations as well. I like their chances, but Pettitte pitching well would go a long way.

2. Corey Italiano
      October 3rd, 2010 | 9:27 pm

@ yagottagotomo1:
      Agreed on Andy…

I missed the games this weekend as i was in PA, how’d Andy pitch? I saw it was a short outing, but the K totals were up so I don’t know what to make of it from the box score.

3. October 3rd, 2010 | 10:14 pm

@ Corey Italiano:

“I’ve scuffled with my command, no question about it,” [Pettitte] said. “I thought I was pretty solid my first start back [six innings, three hits, one run in a no-decision versus the Orioles on Sept. 19], and it’s just a matter of getting my rhythm going again. I know I struggled in these past two games and that’s not how you want to finish up, but I’m ready to get going.”

4. October 3rd, 2010 | 10:19 pm

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

I assume you’re counting Hughes as one of those “solid” starters.

Yes, that’s the same Phil Hughes whose ERA over his last TWENTY THREE starts of the season was 5.06 (in 135.3 IP). Yes, FIVE POINT OH SIX.

“Solid”?

5. October 3rd, 2010 | 10:42 pm

That’s a pretty simplistic view of his season. How about this: over the last two months he’s been pretty solid. Over the full season he’s been pretty solid. If you look at his game log, he is a pretty good bet to pitch into the 6th and allow between 2 and 4 runs. Not amazing, but not too bad either. Solid to me. You can call it what you want.

6. October 3rd, 2010 | 10:43 pm

@Corey

From all accounts that I have heard, he looked healthy and his stuff looked sharp, but his command was all over the place at times. Not sure what to make of that.

7. Evan3457
      October 3rd, 2010 | 10:49 pm

8. MJ Recanati
      October 3rd, 2010 | 11:14 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

9. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      October 3rd, 2010 | 11:36 pm

I hope we can count on Hughes!
      I hope we can count on Pettitte!
      I hope we can count on Posada!
      I hope we can count on Jeter!
      I hope we can count on Gardner!
      I hope we can count on Granderson!
      I hope we can count on Swisher!
      I hope we can count on A-Rod!
      I hope we can count on Teixeira!
      I hope we can count on Cano!
      I hope we can count on the Bench!
      I hope we can count on the BullPen!
      I hope we can count on Girardi!
      I hope we can count on the Coaches!
      I know we can count on Mo!
      I know we can count on CC!
      Others not mentioned are beyond hope!
      Two out of twenty five?
      I hope I can count on my Phillies!

10. G.I. Joey
      October 4th, 2010 | 10:09 am

A poor September is not a death sentence for the postseason. There is plenty to be concerned about, but overcoming adversity is part of being champions.

11. Evan3457
      October 4th, 2010 | 3:24 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:Hughes was throwing the ball much better at the end of the season than he had been in July and August. The ERA may not show it, but his last 3 starts were good.I agree with the spirit of your comment but disagree with one point. Hughes’s start on Tuesday, 9/21 vs. the Rays was not good. Five walks is never good. Doesn’t matter that he held the Rays to three runs, that’s just too many walks and too many baserunners.

I’d feel worse about it if he hadn’t been facing them for the 2nd straight start.

Game before was the Johnson 2 HR in which he dominated as much as a pitcher who gives up 4 runs in 6 2/3 IP can do.

Rays went with different approach in the next game, and drew 5 BB, and they still couldn’t knock him out early.

Then came the gem on Sunday night at the Stadium vs. the Sox.

12. JeremyM
      October 4th, 2010 | 6:55 pm

Remember when Andy was brought back to be a “#4 starter.” :) Have to agree that he is the key. It’s difficult to see them winning any series that CC loses a start in.