• A-Rod: 2010 Yanks Are David And Not Goliath

Posted by on October 6th, 2010 · Comments (15)

Um, last time I checked, Lil’ David didn’t have a $200 million slingshot…

Via ASAP Sports with a h/t to David Brown

Q. Alex, do you find it odd that for the first time in a long time you’re not the favorite to win the World Series?

ALEX RODRIGUEZ: Well, you know, I said it down the stretch in September, all the teams that are in the postseason are very capable of winning a world championship. We have tremendous parity in our game today, more so than I have seen in my 15 or 16 years being at the Major League level. So that’s great for our game overall. At some point every team in the American League has had their struggles and challenges and have had to deal with major injuries. But that’s a good thing. I mean, for us to be David in this situation I think is great.

The Yankees are always going to be somewhat favorites because we’re the Yankees and that comes with the territory. It is something that we embrace and we like. But they want to call us underdogs, we’ll take that role.

At times, I really wish A-Rod would pull the Sammy Sosa “No Habla” routine…well, actually, most times I wish he would do that…

Comments on A-Rod: 2010 Yanks Are David And Not Goliath

1. MJ Recanati
      October 6th, 2010 | 8:53 am

To each his own, I guess, but there’s nothing in that quote that makes me cringe or otherwise feel shame. A-Rod actually spoke pretty eloquently and succinctly there. As much as it’s hard for someone to think the Yanks are true underdogs in the financial sense of the word, the truth is that the Yanks aren’t the runaway favorites in this series as they were last year.

I respect everyone’s right to hate — I hate #62 — but objectively, this quote is fine.

2. jrk
      October 6th, 2010 | 8:58 am

This is a harmless quote, Steve. Wait and see if A-Rod strikes out with the bases loaded in the 9th to start any bashing.

3. MJ Recanati
      October 6th, 2010 | 9:00 am

jrk wrote:

Even that shouldn’t result in any bashing.

4. G.I. Joey
      October 6th, 2010 | 9:12 am

/yawn

5. G.I. Joey
      October 6th, 2010 | 9:15 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

jrk wrote:Wait and see if A-Rod strikes out with the bases loaded in the 9th to start any bashing.Even that shouldn’t result in any bashing.

Alex could hit 10 runs this postseason and lead the Yanks to another championship and he’s still going to get grief here b/c he’s a bit of a weirdo off the field and has a habit of putting his foot in his mouth (something he hasn’t done that much of since the beginning of 2009).

6. G.I. Joey
      October 6th, 2010 | 9:16 am

*homeruns

7. MJ Recanati
      October 6th, 2010 | 9:27 am

@ G.I. Joey:
      I agree. Some people will never like Alex for their own reasons.

Anyway, who cares. Those same people will be lining up to kiss his purple lips when he’s put into Cooperstown with the interlocking NY cap on his plaque.

8. October 6th, 2010 | 9:30 am

@ MJ Recanati:

Will Cooperstown put “Slappy McBluelips” on that plaque? ;-)

9. mondoas
      October 6th, 2010 | 9:32 am

Things change a lot in life EXCEPT for your poking at A-Rod. I can guarantee that if I left for a year and came back to this site, there will be something negative brought up about A-Rod. Honestly, do you know that you do that? After a while, it gets ridiculous. Anyway, there was nothing wrong with what he said. It was honest and he made a lot of sense.

10. MJ Recanati
      October 6th, 2010 | 9:43 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Will Cooperstown put “Slappy McBluelips” on that plaque?

No, because Cooperstown actually has respect for the game and its players.

That slappy bullshit has been done so many times, even by members of the Red Sox, that it’s just a tired old motherf**king joke now. Hypocrisy reigns.

11. October 6th, 2010 | 10:01 am

@ MJ Recanati:

You know what I noticed? None of the New York papers/websites are playing up this “David” quote. A few years ago, it would have led the back page. Even Ian O’Connor, who has written some pretty brutal stuff on A-Rod over the years, wrote a very positive piece on him today.

12. MJ Recanati
      October 6th, 2010 | 10:11 am

@ lisaswan:
      I actually went back and read this story on the NY Times site and noticed that Teixeira also made the allusion to the Yankees as underdogs but did so in a tongue-in-cheek way. Wouldn’t surprise me if Alex feels the same way as Teixeira and that this is merely a rallying cry within the clubhouse to get themselves pumped up for the playoffs.

13. October 6th, 2010 | 10:42 am

I am always amazed at how one less than glowing A-Rod comment has the flies to a road apple effect. The dude really is a lightning rod, ain’t he?

14. MJ Recanati
      October 6th, 2010 | 11:39 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I think you’re overreacting, actually. If you look, five different people other than yourself commented in this thread. GI Joey “yawned”, JRK said he thought this was much ado about nothing and I said more or less the same in my first comment. Only one person pointed out something about the post relative to your own opinion of A-Rod.

I think you’re being too sensitive or looking too closely at something that isn’t there in this case.

15. Evan3457
      October 6th, 2010 | 12:20 pm

If it is not necessary to say anything, then it is necessary not to say anything. About this article, then: