• Next Stop, Texas

Posted by on October 7th, 2010 · Comments (14)

Lance Berkman & Carl Pavano Game 2 ALDS 2010 Carl Pavano…
    …meet Lance Berkman.

O.K., now, you can start thinking about that ALDS Winner parade…

Andy Pettitte

The dude just rocks.  Man, am I going to miss him when he hangs them up.    Hopefully, someday, Cooperstown will call his name.  And, if they do, I’m soooooooo there, that day.

Lastly…Yowza, you have to feel bad for the Twins and their fans.

When was the last time the Twinkies won a post-season game? It must seem like 1933 for them.  And, what truly must sting…some of these games are sorta/kinda close…it’s not like they’re getting blown out.  Go figure.

Comments on Next Stop, Texas

1. 77yankees
      October 7th, 2010 | 9:12 pm

Fat Elvis > The Freddy Mercury ‘stache

2. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      October 7th, 2010 | 9:26 pm

This isn’t fair…….but I don’t care! No finer Mo…ment!!!

3. jay
      October 7th, 2010 | 9:28 pm

What’s the verdict this time around? Wasted bullets? Got lucky? Come on, this becomes the most entertaining part of my day.

4. Evan3457
      October 7th, 2010 | 9:49 pm

But Steve!

It’s the Twins, and the don’t count! ;)

========================================
      The real stinger in for the Twins is that they have now lost 8 straight playoff games to the Yanks…and the Twins scored first in ALL EIGHT GAMES.

That’s right, the Yanks are 8-0 in their last 8 playoff games vs. the Twins, and they’ve come from behind in all eight.

Only a run or two each time, but still..

5. JeremyM
      October 7th, 2010 | 9:54 pm

First off, Steve can be very negative and maybe unreasonable with certain players- but he is a Yankees fan to the core, so chill.

Shame on me. I was very leery of what Pettitte would bring to the table. And the Cashman pickups, Wood and Berkman, could not have been bigger. When Berkman is hitting like that from the 8 hole, this team is very, very tough.

6. jay
      October 7th, 2010 | 10:13 pm

JeremyM wrote:

You chill. Steve has been the eternal pessimist every step of the way for as long as I can remember, and especially so for close to 3 years.

7. October 7th, 2010 | 10:14 pm

jay wrote:

Come on, this becomes the most entertaining part of my day.

Then, I’m very sorry for you.

October 7th, 2010 | 10:19 pm

Nothing is official until they advance. But, being up 2-0 going home, I like their chances.

9. October 7th, 2010 | 10:20 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Jeremy – it’s OK. I fully understand who reads the blog, who enjoys it, who doesn’t, who leaves comments, and why. And, more times than not, the people who leave comments are the ones who don’t agree with me, and/or who don’t like me, and/or who just want to be the thing they accuse me of being – a hater. I get it. I don’t take it personal. Now, why anyone would waste their time reading something that they don’t like, day after day, and leaving comments about it here, or on their twitter pages, I’ll never get. It’s as if they enjoy being annoyed…oh, what, that’s what they say about me too. Funny, huh?

10. October 7th, 2010 | 10:21 pm

Raf wrote:

Three to play. Two at home. Only need one. Yeah, I like their chances now too.

11. Jim TreshFan
      October 7th, 2010 | 11:09 pm

Yeah, too bad the Yanks didn’t win the Division and had to settle for the Wild Card berth ;).

12. MJ Recanati
      October 8th, 2010 | 6:34 am

Raf wrote:

Agreed. Cautious optimism that Phil can get the job done at home, even if his home splits don’t reflect well on his chances.

Overall, this is precisely why I wanted to pitch Andy in Game 2. I’d rather be up 2-0 coming home than risk being 1-1 and Andy being forced into a critical near season-saving situation.

Final thought: thank you to Lance for doing (legally) to Carl what millions of fans wanted to do years ago (kick his ass!).

13. redbug
      October 8th, 2010 | 6:50 am

Andy was dandy. His command was great. 7 innings, 1 walk, 2 runs, Can’t ask for more than that.

Very sweet getting that stinking Pavano. How ugly is that guy when he’s looking in at the catcher? He looks like the dumbest ass you’d ever see.

Let’s hope Hughes can win tomorrow night so CC doesn’t have to pitch on short rest.

14. #15
      October 8th, 2010 | 6:55 am

Both the Yankees and the Rays limped into the playoffs, gassed from a killer schedule in the AL East and worn down by a 6 month-long pennant race. The Yankee Championship pedigree is shining through. Those were a couple of well played games, on the road, against a solid, but not elite, Twins team. Really like the way the Yankees “out grinded” a team that prides itself on being full of grinders.

Andy was a wizard last night. I concede the point re: my earlier stated preference to start Hughes in game 2 on the road. As the game grew late and Minni started to grip, he went softer and softer, and they hacked and slashed harder and harder. He hit the corners when he needed to and had just enough life on the fastball to push it by them when they tried to time his offspeed stuff. Jorge, for all of his obvious limitations at this point, called a hell of a game and was in the middle of important scoring momnets at the plate for the second time in two game.

Mo cutter looks very, very sharp. He might even be overthrowing it a bit.

Really hope Hughes has a sharp game in his toolbelt. It will really help the Yankees cause if they can put the Twins to sleep on Sat. and save the extra start by CC. I like our chances against Texas better than Tampa. Go Reds!!! (my prefered opponent in the WS – what are these guys even doing in the playoffs?).