• Hughes Concern For Yanks In Game 3?

Posted by on October 8th, 2010 · Comments (9)

In his last 16 starts made at Yankee Stadium this season, Phil Hughes has allowed 19 homeruns and his ERA in these games is 5.06 (in 94.3 IP). Seeing this, how do you feel about Hughes chances against the Twins in Game 3 of the 2010 ALDS?

Comments on Hughes Concern For Yanks In Game 3?

1. October 9th, 2010 | 12:16 am

I think the Yankees would have been better served not to announce a game 3 starter until after game 2. Like it or not after CC and Andy, Hughes is the best of the rest. At 1-1 or 0-2 I think you have to pitch him, but with a 2-0 edge I would have taken a chance on AJ. Whatever chance the Yanks have to repeat depends on AJ being no worse than a serviceable starter. Without AJ in the mix, I just don’t think the pitching is there to make this happen. If the Giants or Phils (and it clearly looks like it will be one or the other) make the series, an ugly end awaits I fear. In the case of the Phils it could be very ugly. The Yanks might be able to survive one Hughes start, but I’d be surprised at anything we get beyond that.

October 9th, 2010 | 2:31 am

Hughes has been better on the season than AJ, I can see why the Yanks went with him.

3. MJ Recanati
      October 9th, 2010 | 8:31 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

While it’s true that the Yankees will have to pitch AJ Burnett in the ALCS/WS (assuming they get there), that doesn’t mean they should pitch AJ Burnett in the ALDS. I fail to see the relationship between knowing that Burnett has to pitch in the later rounds and using the ALDS as the petrie dish to see if he can pitch well enough now to clinch the series.

Hughes earned the Game 3 start because, as Raf said, his body of work in 2010 is superior to Burnett’s body of work. To skip Hughes in the ALDS because you want to figure out what might happen in the next rounds makes no sense. You have to get there first.

4. Evan3457
      October 9th, 2010 | 11:02 am

I realize it would’ve set Hughes up for game 5 and not Andy, but I would’ve started Hughes in game 2 for this reason. The Twins lineup is loaded with left-handed power able to take advantage of his home-run dispensing tendencies, especially at the Stadium. I put the over/under on HR’s allowed by Phil tonight at 2. (as in 50% 2 or more).

I know Andy pitched a great game in game 2, but I think setting up the two lefties for the Stadium and Phil for two games in the huge OF of Target Field plays to the individual pitchers strengths.

5. Jim TreshFan
      October 9th, 2010 | 11:11 am

I’m not too concerned. There’s not all that much pressure on winning today and he’s pitching in front of a home crowd. Let the Twins do the worrying.

6. Corey Italiano
      October 9th, 2010 | 12:40 pm

My only concern is that I’m going, and I have a history of seeing Hughes get smacked around in person. Sometimes history doesn’t change, ask the Twins.

7. Evan3457
      October 9th, 2010 | 12:49 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

I’ll be there tonight, too. I wish I had known this before I bought the tickets.

;)