• October 8th @ The Twins

Posted by on October 8th, 2010 · Comments (8)

I’m really glad that the Yanks took 2 from the Twins at Target field. They must have some of the most idiotic fans of any ball club. I’m sorry, but it’s true. Why would you chant “Yankees Suck!” when your team is losing to the Yanks? They did it during the regular season, and they did it in both of these playoff games. They don’t even chant it when the Twins are winning. Makes no sense to me.

Offensively, Berkman went nuts off Pavano with an absolute bomb to left-center, and then a double that one hopped the wall in nearly the identical spot. People are probably going to point out that Berkman should have struck out right before he crushed the double, but I like to point out that the umpire had the same exact strike zone for Andy (bunch of pitches called a ball on the black), the difference being it didn’t come back to haunt Pettitte. Granderson continued his absolute tear, going 3 for 4 with all of his hits being laser shots.

One thing I do want to credit Posada for, since I’ve been bashing his defense behind the plate so much, is that last night and tonight he scored from first. I can’t recall Posada doing that that often all year, let alone on consecutive nights. The guy does hustle and want to win, there’s no denying that.

Pettitte gave the Yanks everything they could ask for, and outside a mistake pitch to Orlando Hudson he was pretty flawless. What can you say about the guy, he shows up for the big game time and time again.

Next stop for the 2010 World Series champs, the Bronx. There, they look to sweep the Twins with Hughes on the mound. I’ll be there in person, and I’ll take a bunch of pictures for the recap that will be up on Sunday morning. Look for it.

Comments on October 8th @ The Twins

1. MJ Recanati
      October 8th, 2010 | 8:18 am

Did you just crown the 2010 Yanks as World Champs? They’re nine wins away! Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here!

2. JeremyM
      October 8th, 2010 | 8:22 am

No kidding Corey, loooooong ways to go still.

The Twins fans are terrible at judging balls and strikes too.

3. Corey Italiano
      October 8th, 2010 | 8:27 am

I’ve been crowning them that since Spring Training, shouldn’t surprise anyone. I’ve always thought that this team was better than last years team. (And I’ve been vocal about it).

4. MJ Recanati
      October 8th, 2010 | 8:50 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      That’s true, you’ve definitely been consistent in saying that.

5. G.I. Joey
      October 8th, 2010 | 9:37 am

@ Corey Italiano:

I had a lengthy conversation yesterday about how Twins fans are really really dumb. From their “Circle me Bert!” signs to their misplaced “Yankees Suck!” chants, they are an annoying bunch of clowns and whiners. They would rather make delusional claims about the opposition than profess faith in their ballclub.

6. Jim TreshFan
      October 8th, 2010 | 9:44 am

Looking Ahead — Do we dare even think about it? Meetin’ and Beatin’ the Texas Rangers in an ALCS showdown? That would give the Yanks at least one pennant in ten consecutive decades. It would also give the “Core Four” a chance of joining Babe Ruth and Yogi Berra for the record of playing on World Championship teams in three different decades.

Looking Around — One day after Roy Halladay no-hit the Reds Tim Lincecum rang up a two hit, 14K shut-out versus the Bravos. What the hell is next? A Perfect Game with 21 Ks?

Looking Back — Ten years Ago Today: Mariano Rivera induced Eric Chavez to pop out to Tino Martinez to close out a 7-5 Game 5 victory over the A’s in the ALDS. It was Rivera’s 16th career Post Season Save, breaking Dennis Eckersley’s record of 15. Today Rivera’s record stands at 41 Post Seaon Saves (and counting). Brad Lidge is second with 16. The only other active closer on the (far) horizon is Jonathan Papelbon—with 7.

7. MJ Recanati
      October 8th, 2010 | 12:11 pm

Jim TreshFan wrote:

What the hell is next? A Perfect Game with 21 Ks?

Yes, by Phil Hughes!

Jim TreshFan wrote:

That’s insane. May Mariano always be healthy, happy, interested in playing baseball for the Yanks and armed with that one sick pitch of his. I’d love to be talking about Rivera closing in on his 70th career post-season save 10 years from now.

8. GDH
      October 8th, 2010 | 12:22 pm

Mo’s record is up there with DiMaggio’s hitting streak and Cy Young’s 511 wins. No one touches that Mo on this. Ever.