• What The Twins Want & What Yankees Want To Avoid

Posted by on October 8th, 2010 · Comments (7)

Here are the seven teams to comeback and win a post-season series after being down, 0-2, and then winning three straight postseason games:

1. 1981 N.L.D.S.: Dodgers over Astros
    2. 1982 A.L.C.S.: Brewers over Angels
    3. 1984 N.L.C.S.: Padres over Cubs
    4. 1995 A.L.D.S.: Mariners over Yankees
    5. 1999 A.L.D.S.: Red Sox over Indians
    6. 2001 A.L.D.S.: Yankees over A’s
    7. 2003 A.L.D.S.: Red Sox over A’s

I remember 1995 – very well.  That one hurt like a mother.  I’m not sure how I would feel if that happened again in 2010?  How about you – would it bother you as much as 1995 did?  How about compared to 2004?

Comments on What The Twins Want & What Yankees Want To Avoid

1. MJ Recanati
      October 8th, 2010 | 4:23 pm

I was in college at the time of the 1995 ALDS and, in the age before widespread internet, I felt totally removed from that series. I saw Leyritz hit his HR and then didn’t see anything else. So that one doesn’t sting as much as, say, the ’04 ALCS loss.

Incidentally, although this series is by no means finished, I don’t think the Twins will be adding their names to this list…

2. Jim TreshFan
      October 8th, 2010 | 5:00 pm

When you make it a list of teams that lost the first two games at home it becomes very short, vero?

3. October 8th, 2010 | 6:18 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      I was living in Texas in 2005 and that was the first year of the Wild Card. So they had this dopey idea of showing them based on what region you lived in, and New York-Seattle didn’t make the cut in my state. I didn’t get to see any games until Game 5!

4. MJ Recanati
      October 8th, 2010 | 6:31 pm

@ lisaswan:
      Did you grow up in Texas or were you there for college?

5. JeremyM
      October 8th, 2010 | 7:13 pm

1995 was soul-crushing to this 15-year old enjoying his first postseason. The fact that 1994 and a very good Yankees team were wiped out didn’t help. I just remember being stunned that Wetteland didn’t close the game out and Cora being called safe on his bunt.

October 9th, 2010 | 2:33 am

I was attending Westchester Community College. I watched it from beginning to end. Actually, I have the game on tape.

7. redbug
      October 9th, 2010 | 8:12 am

Nothing would be bother me as much as ’04. (the only one that came close was the ’01 WS loss) I absolutely hate that we can’t chant 1918 any more and that I can’t wear.

While I wouldn’t like it one bit if we lost to them at this point, it’s not like they haven’t lost in other 1st rounds in the last few yrs. And, I don’t have strong feelings about the Twins.