• Gris Gran Octava

Posted by on October 15th, 2010 · Comments (6)

Tonight reminded me of this.  You just  don’t see top of the 8th inning rallies in the post-season this large, everyday, do you?  Wow.

Comments on Gris Gran Octava

1. 77yankees
      October 16th, 2010 | 8:54 am

Have the Yankees ever rallied from four runs down in the 8th inning or later of a playoff game before last night?

Of course there was also Game 7 2003 LCS & Game 4 1996 WS, but in those they were three runs down entering the 8th.

2. MJ Recanati
      October 16th, 2010 | 9:13 am

77yankees wrote:

According to ESPN, it last happened in the 1997 ALDS vs. Cleveland.

3. 77yankees
      October 16th, 2010 | 9:24 am

Joe Morgan must be doing their research for them then, because this was the only game that would have applied, and the Yanks rallied in the 6th inning, not the 8th:

Then again BSPN doesn’t remember anything about baseball unless it occurred in October 2004 or October 2007.

4. antone
      October 16th, 2010 | 9:31 am

I would just like to thank Mr. Ron Washington for this victory.

The fact that he let Darren O’Day with an average fastball velocity of 85.7 MPH face A-Rod instead of bringing in Feliz (96.3 MPH) or even Ogando (96.4 MPH), when A-Rod clearly has trouble catching up to top speed fastballs, is probably enough to get him fired if the Rangers go on to lose this series.

I think I definitely would have brought Feliz in there even if I had to stall to get him warmed up. The Yankees had the middle of the lineup up with the bases loaded. If that isn’t the time to bring in your best reliever than I don’t know when the right time is.

I thought it was just as bad that he brought in that other bum lefty Caly Rapada to face Cano just because he threw left-handed. His fastball is only 85 MPH and he isn’t very good to begin with so I don’t think it matters what hand he throws with to Cano. Probably would have made more sense to come in with Holland or bring Feliz in there too.

5. October 16th, 2010 | 9:44 am

FWIW, in addition to Game 1 of the 2010 ALCS, we have Game 6 of the 1923 World Series and Game 5 of the 1910 World Series as the only post-season games in baseball history where the visiting team batted around in the top of the 8th inning.

6. October 16th, 2010 | 9:44 am

And, that’s per my research that will be posted at the blog at B-R.com later today. ;-)