• Teixeira’s Hamstring

Posted by on October 19th, 2010 · Comments (6)

My first thought, seeing this moments ago, was: Reminds me of Reggie Jackson in the 1972 ALCS.

My second thought? That’s a Grade 2, and, he’s cooked.

Comments on Teixeira’s Hamstring

1. ken
      October 19th, 2010 | 10:48 pm

Looks like more than Texeira is cooked.

2. JeremyM
      October 19th, 2010 | 10:51 pm

Girardi managed as bad a game as a man can manage.

3. ken
      October 19th, 2010 | 10:58 pm

I don’t understand all the Girardi bashing. Everyone kills him for overmanaging and overuse of his relievers. Now we 2nd guess keeping the starter in for one batter? No way Molina should hit a HR there.

The problem here is the hitting. In 4th and 5th innings Yanks have 2 on with not outs and score one run on an infield fielder’s choice. And Texeira doesn’t pull the hammy if he gets a hit to the OF.

It’s the hitting, stupid. (Just an expression. No insult intended.)

4. ken
      October 19th, 2010 | 10:59 pm

One thing I might 2nd guess is playing Cervelli. Yanks need bats.

5. JeremyM
      October 20th, 2010 | 12:09 am

ken, my thing is it was AJ Burnett, who was playing with fire all night long. I would’ve pulled him while they were ahead Neagle style (2000 World Series, game 4). But it may not have mattered as the pen was shaky again. I also didn’t like the move with Thames, who is awful in the field and promptly had a ball drop in front of him that anyone else on the team fields.

6. MJ Recanati
      October 20th, 2010 | 12:16 pm

ken wrote:

I don’t think people reflexively bash Girardi for overusing his relievers. I think people justifiably bash him for not knowing what route to take (starter vs. reliever) or which reliever to use.

ken wrote:

Based on how Burnett was losing his command of the strike zone, yes, of course Girardi should’ve known to make a switch. If you’re walking the lefty (Murphy), you might as well then bring in a fresh righty to maintain the platoon advantage you were aiming for (RHP vs. RHB). Why “no way Molina should hit a HR”? A fastball hitter facing a fastball pitcher whose pitches were no longer moving to anywhere but the middle? What else should happen there?

I do agree, however, that the offense hasn’t helped at all. But Girardi has to manage the cards he’s dealt. If the offense isn’t hitting, he’s got to make sure Burnett doesn’t give up three runs on one pitch.