• So, Yankeeland, How’ya Feelin’?

Posted by on October 20th, 2010 · Comments (10)

The 2010 ALCS is now heading to Game 6 – with the Texas Rangers leading the New York Yankees, three games to two.

Three games to two. What’s that mean?

More importantly, how does that feel?

Most of Yankeeland, coming into Game 5 of this ALCS, were not feeling groovy about the state of their ballclub in this series. New York was out-played in 35 of the 36 innings played, to that point, in this match-up…or something close to that. After a miracle comeback win in Game 1, the Yankees dropped three games in a row – in lackluster fashion. After Game 4 of the ALCS, most Yankees fans were already lamenting how their team had brought this post-season to an end.

But, it wasn’t over, completely, yet. And, now, it’s still not over. As Yogi says, it ain’t over till it’s over, right?

Of course, one win, today, in Game 5, doesn’t obliterate the sickly pinstripe pallor that the Yankees cast in the first four games of this ALCS. Three losses in a row, albeit book-ended with wins, will do that to you.

However, what if it wasn’t W-L-L-L-W here? What if it was L-W-L-W-L, would “three games to two” feel better then? Or, what if it was W-W-L-L-L instead of W-L-L-L-W, to date? In that case, W-L-L-L-W would look a lot better, no? Yet, in the end, they’re all “three games to two.” And, does it matter what sequence derived that state? This said, how are you feeling, Yankeeland?

Feeling better today than yesterday? And, looking forward to Game 6, now, more than you were looking forward to Game 5, this morning? Or, is it no different now, compared to then, and will be no different tomorrow? You tell me…

Comments on So, Yankeeland, How’ya Feelin’?

1. 77yankees
      October 20th, 2010 | 9:17 pm

We’ve seen it before – in a situation like this – how one win can snowball and turn into two, and then into three. (And six years ago snowballed into four).

You may think, how can a team that’s two games down in a series and not hitting come back against the Rangers? Well, Tampa nearly did it a week ago, didn’t they?

As much as they can hang their hats on Cliff Lee pitching in Game 7, if the Yanks triumph Friday evening – which team is the pressure on Saturday night if they do?

2. Evan3457
      October 20th, 2010 | 9:35 pm

Only a little better.

They needed to win, but their ace had to stretch to the max to get through 6 very hard innings. Wood was brilliant. Mo was Mo.

They hit some longballs, but still left a lot of guys on.

The subjective odds of coming back just dropped from 100 to 1 against to about 30 to 40 to 1 against. A long, long way to go to get to nirvana.

But the journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

3. JeremyM
      October 20th, 2010 | 11:15 pm

Well, they’re playing Friday, so that’s good enough for now. Of course, we saw what usually happens to teams that go down 3-1 and win game 5 last year (Philly and Anaheim of LA)- they lose game 6. Still, until they run out of outs, I won’t give up.

4. redbug
      October 21st, 2010 | 6:20 am

Well, like Jeter says, play one game at a time. Yesterday, if you thought you had to win 3, it seemed impossible. Now, it’s just Fri night to think about. Yanks win, the Series is tied.

5. Jim TreshFan
      October 21st, 2010 | 9:29 am

What’s interesting to me is that it all has come down to one game—Game 2. I think going into this thing the consensus was that the Yankees would lose Game 3 to Lee and Game 4 with Burnett, but win Games 1,2,5, and 6. At least that’s what I supposed when I heard all those “Yankees In Six” predictions. But losing Game 2 threw all of that into the October wind and Yankees fans into a panic. It’s strange what one game can do.

BTW, has anyone else been watching the NLCS on Fox? There’s no “blackout” up here in Rochester so I get to see all the games. Last night’s was a real good one. In case you didn’t know the Giants have beaten Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt for their three wins.

6. MJ Recanati
      October 21st, 2010 | 10:04 am

@ Jim TreshFan:
      Good point, Jim. Hopefully the Yankees can rectify their original Game 2 mistake by winning the Hughes-Lewis rematch.

Incidentally, nope, Fox is still blacked out here in my neck of the woods. I haven’t seen a single pitch of the NLCS (and I’m due to miss my second straight week of NFL football). Fox and Cablevision are both horrendous organizations.

7. G.I. Joey
      October 21st, 2010 | 11:15 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Fox and Cablevision are killing me!

8. MJ Recanati
      October 21st, 2010 | 11:15 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

Fox and Cablevision are killing me!

Me too. They’re both a bunch of bastards.

9. GDH
      October 21st, 2010 | 12:53 pm

Giants & Phils are great games, and although the Gigantes are playing a little over their heads, Philadelphia’s powerful offense is AWOL. Sound familiar? That, and the SF pitching and Buster Posey are the real deal – 100%. I’d be very surprised if the Freak doesn’t put them to sleep today, which would be a huge upset IMHO.

10. MJ Recanati
      October 21st, 2010 | 1:07 pm

GDH wrote:

I’m definitely rooting for the Giants, that’s for sure.