• Congrats To The 2010 A.L. Champion Texas Rangers

Posted by on October 22nd, 2010 · Comments (22)

A-Rod. Looking. And, that wraps it up, Yankeeland.

In the end, during the regular season, the Yankees were better than the crippled Boston Red Sox. But, not as good as the Tampa Bay Rays. And, in the post-season, the Yankees were better than the Minnesota Twins. But, not as good as the Texas Rangers.

The Rangers beat the Yankees brains out in this series. And, they did it only having to use Cliff Lee once over the course of six games. Think about that for a moment. Wow.

That’s all I got for now. Is there really a need to say anything more at this moment. On to the post-game YES coverage for now…

Comments on Congrats To The 2010 A.L. Champion Texas Rangers

1. Jim TreshFan
      October 22nd, 2010 | 11:28 pm

Here’s hoping the Rangers will go all the way. They deserve it.

I personally hold nothing against Phil Hughes. He came into this season as the Yankees’ fifth starter and ended it as the Yankees’ last hope. That’s a tough position to put him in.

So it’s on to a Texas – San Francisco World Series perhaps. Not exactly a ratings bonanza, but we’ll all be watching I’m sure.

2. 77yankees
      October 22nd, 2010 | 11:38 pm

Congrats to the Rangers – they outplayed us and they deserve to move on.

Remember all, to win like a champion, you have to lose like one as well. Last year we were able to take it all the way, but this year, we just weren’t up to the challenge. It happens.

Now it’s time to watch football, and look forward to Spring Training 2011.

3. ken
      October 22nd, 2010 | 11:40 pm

I think the story to this series is lack of offense by the Yanks. Too much pressure on the pitchers. Also, the Rangers were young, talented and hungry. I’m just hoping that the bigger is not that this team is showing its age. And they are not getting any younger.

4. October 22nd, 2010 | 11:44 pm

Just how bad were the Yankees batters tonight? Record setting bad:

5. Rob Mains
      October 22nd, 2010 | 11:54 pm

Wow, spot-on timely research, Steve.
      Going into the series, these were two exceptionally well-matched teams on the mound: Yanks’ xFIP of 4.31 was 7th in AL, Rangers’ 4.36 was 8th. Subversive conclusion: Once again, good hitting beats good pitching in the postseason.

6. Evan3457
      October 22nd, 2010 | 11:55 pm

Yep, Yanks got beat straight up and hard this series.

I got no kick coming about that.

BTW, what idiot posted this?
      It works for Lewis, but not for Hughes, Pettitte or Lee.

Rangers have seen Pettitte and Hughes enough times for seeing them again not to be that much of a factor. Ditto for Lee. If they hit Lee, it’ll be because 1) they win game 6 first, and 2) Lee makes uncharacteristic mistakes.

Lewis is a different matter. Before Game 2, the Yanks hadn’t see him in 7 years . Seeing him a 2nd time in a week should make a significant difference.

Whoever he was, he sure was dumber than a box of rocks.

7. SFYanks
      October 22nd, 2010 | 11:55 pm

ken wrote:

Actually, they ARE getting younger. The ’09 Yankees were actually older than the ’10 Yankees. And if memory serves me correctly, I think they won something called the MLB Champio… no, the SuperBall…no that’s… Oh! I remember now… the WORLD SERIES. Yes, they won the World Series with an older team. Now that we’ve eliminated that excuse, let’s try: The Yankees have no heart! Or, how about, ‘Not enough grit and hustle!’ ?

8. ken
      October 23rd, 2010 | 12:25 am

@ SFYanks:

Well, next year will be 2 years later than the WS in 2009. That’s a long time for a team whose key players are in mid-30′s and higher. Also, maybe age played a part in Yanks bats fading this Sept and again in TEX series. Not that I can be certain, but it’s something to think about. Especially if Jeter and Posada get multi-year contracts.

9. JeremyM
      October 23rd, 2010 | 12:42 am

Colby Lewis shut down the New York Yankees, twice. That’s what I don’t get. Twice!

Just didn’t feel like anything could go there way other than the Swisher “wild pitch.” How many double plays were spoiled by the timely hit and run? Just wasn’t meant to be and the Yankees got their ass handed to them. It stinks, but the better team won so it’s nowhere near as painful as losing every other series other than 2009 has been.

10. JeremyM
      October 23rd, 2010 | 12:55 am

@ ken:
      Well, say what you will about Cashman, but he has to have a better offseason then last season. No more Javys and Nick Johnsons…

But Posada is not a free agent so don’t worry about that one- he has one year left.

11. October 23rd, 2010 | 1:19 am

The Yankees did better than I expected. I wasn’t sure the team that finished the season could beat the Twins. The fact that they won two games in this series was amazing enough as it is. Games two, three and four were virtual blowouts by the time the games ended, game one, the team looked ready to be buried, saved only by the Ranger bullpen meltdown. This could have been a four game sweep and really should have been a four game sweep. I can live with being defeated by Texas, but it would have made me sick to get beaten by the Phils or the Giants in the World Series.

The bigger question, is this fixable in the short term or was this the last waltz for the foreseeable future.

12. SFYanks
      October 23rd, 2010 | 2:05 am

ken wrote:

maybe age played a part in Yanks bats fading this Sept and again in TEX series.

Or maybe it’s as simple as Lewis having great stuff in 2 starts while Hughes NOT having great stuff in 2 starts. If Hughes has it going and Lewis pitches like he normally should and not like Cy Young, this is probably a different looking series.

But whatever, they lost. Everyones going to place blame as they see fit.

13. redbug
      October 23rd, 2010 | 7:04 am

On Yes last night, someone said the Yanks were .500 for their last 60 games. I knew Sept was bad, wasn’t thinking that stretched back to Aug, too. That kind of record’s not going to get anyone far in the PS.

Add to that, having the starting rotation start the 1st four games w/ too many days off their regular rest didn’t help.

But, except for Cano, Grandy, and a little bit of Jeter, there was no offense. Not really much at all, probably stretching back those 60 games. That was the major killer.

Someone earlier said we’ll all watch the WS. I may watch it in part but I have little interest in Texas. None if it’s Philadelphia.

14. Evan3457
      October 23rd, 2010 | 9:39 am

redbug wrote:

Right about now, I’m actually HAPPY to be stuck with Cablevision.

15. JeremyM
      October 23rd, 2010 | 9:46 am

I’d like to see the Giants win their first title in San Fran, but my gut tells me they’re not going to get past Philly. But I’ve been wrong before….

To me, this series felt like the DS against the Angels in 2002, where the Yankees basically got their brains beat in other than one comeback win in game 1 that made us all feel that the Yankees would roll. I know they won game 5 in this series, but the feel was the same.

16. Corey Italiano
      October 23rd, 2010 | 9:55 am

@ Evan3457:
      haha

17. Corey Italiano
      October 23rd, 2010 | 9:58 am

One thing that’ll be interesting to see…if the Rangers win the world series, if that’ll give Lee a little more incentive to resign. It sounds like they are gonna throw the bank at him, so the only other incentive to signing with the Yanks would be the allure of winning a world championship which would be gone in this scenario.

18. Jim TreshFan
      October 23rd, 2010 | 10:06 am

You know, prior to this game there was talk about Sabathia, Wood and Rivera being available to go 6 innings if necessary — i.e. as early as the 4th inning. It turned out to be total bullshit. When the Yankees got into serious trouble in the middle innings Girardi went to a middle reliever to save the season. A few pitches later it was all over.

But what was really painful for me was watching the Yankee hitters roll over and play dead at the end of the game. In the last two innings they sent 7 men to the plate, 5 of them struck out and another hit a weak ass grounder. Pathetic.

19. ken
      October 23rd, 2010 | 10:07 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

That’s the Big Question.

20. Evan3457
      October 23rd, 2010 | 11:08 am

Jim TreshFan wrote:

Yeah, Joe probably should’ve gotten Wood up and in there in the 5th, if he was willing to go to him in the 6th.

21. ken
      October 23rd, 2010 | 11:47 am

Yankee bats looked dead from the start of the game. They really needed a few early runs. Didn’t get it.

Just heard M Kay interviewed on 1050 who I don’t really like but he gave a realistic picture of the Yanks issues going forward. Among them: Arod’s horrible contract; where does Jeter play?; no young fastball-throwing pitchers (where’s our Lester, Bard, Feliz, etc); what to do with Posada?; aging left infield; potential of signing Lee creates too much money in 3 pitchers and another long term pitching contract that could go bad in late years. Good points all.

22. GDH
      October 23rd, 2010 | 11:51 am

Evan3457 wrote:

My gut was screaming when he walked Josh Hamilton to pitch to Vlady, I was sure he’d pull Hughes at that point and stick Wood in there, if nothing else to make Vlady wait a bit and make him hit against someone else. That was the turning point of the game for me. When Vlady hit that double I knew we were screwed. If you can keep it 1-1, there’s a chance you work Lewis out of the game and win it in the late innings.