• Yankees Reaction To Post-Season Ouster

Posted by on October 23rd, 2010 · Comments (7)

First, Alex Rodriguez via The Post -

Alex Rodriguez declared the Yankees’ season a failure, admitted not winning a championship this season will hurt for a long time, and said he fully expects to have a big season next year.

“The goal is to win a championship every year, and obviously it hurts very much not to get the ultimate goal accomplished,” Rodriguez said after the Yankees lost Game 6 of the ALCS to the Rangers, 6-1. “Bottom line is: I didn’t do enough, the team didn’t do enough and we’re accountable.”

Rodriguez suffered through a miserable ALCS, hitting a lowly .190 (4-for-21) with two RBIs, both of which came in Game 1. He was also homerless for the entire nine-game postseason.

“I felt comfortable pretty much all series, especially after Game 4,” Rodriguez said. “You go out there, you hit rockets and nobody really wants to hear about that. They want to hear about results.”

Rodriguez characterized the season as a disappointment.

“The team didn’t accomplish a goal,” he said. “I’m one of the leaders of the team and therefore it’s a failure.”

Next, words from Brian Cashman via Chad Jennings (here and here) -

“[The Rangers] dominated us,” Brian Cashman said.

Last last night, in the hours after the Yankees were eliminated from the posteason, Brian Cashman said he not begun thinking about the offseason. He wasn’t thinking about Derek Jeter’s expiring contract, he had not explored the free agent and trade markets, and he had yet to set a plan of action with ownership.

But that day is coming, and it’s coming soon.

“It’s not something that’s on my mind right now,” Cashman said. “We’ll deal with that stuff this winter, and winter is upon us. Now we’ll start that whole process of assessing what our needs are, begin negotiating with the guys to try to bring those guys back, and then look at the trade and free agent market.”

“Our team has areas of weakness that we have to tackle,” Cashman said. “I think we have a great team, but Texas just proved they’re better. It’s as simple as that. Obviously the job is to attack areas of weakness and hope that your current strengths remain strengths.”

From Hal Steinbrenner – ‘tho I suspect it’s off the memo pad of Howard Rubenstein -

Hal Steinbrenner, the club’s managing general partner, issued this statement: “On behalf of the New York Yankees I want to congratulate the Texas Rangers, Chuck Greenberg, Nolan Ryan and their entire ownership, staff and organization on winning their first American League pennant. They played like champions

New York Yankees players look on from the dugout in the seventh inning of Game 6 of baseball’s American League Championship Series against the Texas Rangers Friday, Oct. 22, 2010, in Arlington, Texas. ((AP Photo/Chris O’Meara))and we wish them the best of luck representing the American League in the World Series.”

Lastly, Derek Jeter via Mark Feinsand -

Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte are free agents this winter, and while the smart money is that all three will be back in pinstripes in 2011, they didn’t have much to say regarding their respective futures after Friday night’s ouster at the hands of the Rangers.

“I can’t think about that,” Jeter said. “We just lost, what, 15 minutes ago? I’m not thinking about myself right now.”

“You’re trying to come back, trying to win the game,” Jeter said. “It would have been unfair for me to be thinking about it. We lost and it feels bad. I’m not sitting here thinking about my future.”

Comments on Yankees Reaction To Post-Season Ouster

1. jvk
      October 23rd, 2010 | 10:52 pm

It’s obvious that Jeter and Rivera are going to come back to the yankees. Andy it’s obvious that Andy Petite would love to play for them too. The only question with Andy is will he come back. I’m 90% sure that the yankees will sign Cliff Lee to a big contract. So say that happens and Andy comes back. The worlds nice and dandy in the yankees rotation. But whaat if he doesn’t come back? They’re obviously not going to resign Javier Vazquez. So who is their other starting pitcher in the rotation? And what are the yankees going to do in the DH spot? Will they resign Lance Berkman or move Posada to the DH spot and make Cervelli the full time catcher? I say they dump Berkman (no offense to him) and put Posada in that spot. If they want another catcher on the bench so that they don’t lose the DH spot during the game because of injury then they can call up one of their almost ready for the Majors (if they’re not ready now) catching prospects like Jesus Montero or Austin Romine to do that. I say you use Montero because he can also play first base and if they need him to (which they wont) DH for them. I say call him up June 10th (because if you call up prospects then the arbitration clock is delayed a year) and in in the 2 and 1/2 months he has until then teach him how to play third that way you have a good bat to give A-Rod a day off when he needs it.

2. MJ Recanati
      October 24th, 2010 | 10:37 am

@ jvk:
      You can’t teach Montero to play third. By all accounts he’s not much of a pure athlete and, at his size, he’d make like a statue at the hot corner.

3. ken
      October 24th, 2010 | 10:50 am

I never heard anyone suggest this but I have always thought about moving Cano to a corner OF position. His arm looks like it would be great from the OF. He hits like a corner OF’er. Am I crazy?

Also, this may solve the Jeter problem: put him at 2nd.

4. Hobbie
      October 24th, 2010 | 11:31 am

The team’s strength is the right side of the infield and I wouldn’t start subtracting from that to shore up weakness. Although I like Lance Berkman, I wouldn’t pick up his option. There are plenty of DH candidates on the Yankees. the position could be used to give half days to A Rod, Jeter, Posada and Tex.

A certain switch hitting outfielder has just been made available by Atlanta. I would consider resigning Melky Cabrera. It is convenient having another switch hitter who can play the outfield and he is still young(27). Acquiring him would allow us to reduce our reliance on Nick Swisher. Swish has been less than licious small twice now in the playoffs. If Nunez subs for Jeter and A rod in the field during their DH games the net effect will be better coverage on the left side. A Rod is quickly losing his lateral mobility. He ought to try the same drills that Jeter did after the 2008 season.
      The most desirable free agents are Cliff Lee and Rafael Soriano(RP). The latter would be a priority if Mo decides to retire. I view Ivan Nova as a spot starter and a long relief candidate a la Ramiro Mendoza. He does need to learn how to consistently throw strikes when pitching from the stretch, a flaw that marred his first campaign. My only interest in Jason Werth and Carl Crawford would be to increase their eventual cost to their 2011 employers

5. JeremyM
      October 24th, 2010 | 12:03 pm

A few things- Cano is a great second baseman and the best in the league. No way do you move him. I believe they agreed not to pick up Berkman’s option when they acquired him- either that or not offer arbitration- or both. It was for big money anyway, so there was no chance of it getting picked up regardless. He still sees himself as an everyday player and likely will be back in Houston.

Not sure on where they go with the DH situation but Posada/Montero alternating is probably on the table, if I had to guess. They still hold an option on Nick Johnson too….. ;)

6. jvk
      October 24th, 2010 | 12:37 pm

I was just watching Mike Francesa on the YES Network and he mentioned maybe but probably wont happen moving A-Rod to full time DH and moving Jeter to 3B. He doesn’t think it will happen but it could happen. It work so A-Rod can focus on his offense and Jeter loosing his range goes to 3B so he doesn’t have to move as much. And at SS i say you use Nunez but you can also pick up a differnent SS that has speed and is a good fielder and is young. You can also not get a DH but get extra guys who are young, can field, and hit and just put in Jeter, A-Rod, Posada, Teixeira, and a few other guys maybe whenever they need the rest. Those guys you can pick up don’t have to be all-stars either. You can use Nunez at 3B and SS, Montero for C and 1B, and pick up a fast OF who’s young and can play in all three spots. I think Melkey Cabrera is the best fit for that role. He’s fast enough to play CF, he has a strong enough arm to play RF, those two qualities make the perfect LF. I don’t know what I was thinking about Montero learning to play 3B. MJ Recanati was right he would be a big statue with a sign around his neck saying “Hit it over here!” Montero is a first basemen in my eyes, he can also catch but he wouldn’t be a good defender then. And if Jeter, A-Rod and them don’t like the idea of being the DH once or twice a week then Montero and Thames can platoon that role while still trying to mix in the old people (no offense to them lol).

7. MJ Recanati
      October 25th, 2010 | 1:59 pm

@ Hobbie:
      Melky Cabrera is terrible and he’s certainly not better than Swisher, who is also a switch-hitter. Swisher’s lousy playoffs notwithstanding, there is more than enough data at this point in their respective careers to know that Swisher is the better player and that Cabrera doesn’t belong on the Yankees at all.