• AzFL Notes: Brandon Laird

Posted by on October 25th, 2010 · Comments (8)

A nice little puff-piece about Yankees 3B/OF prospect Brandon Laird, courtesy of Baseball America.

The more positions this kid learns, the better.  He’ll start 2011 in Triple-A and will either see time at the big league level on a replacement basis or he’ll be a trade chip for bench/bullpen help around the July trading deadline.  Realistically, Laird has next to no shot of ever logging time as a regular in New York.  His best value to the Yankees is for his bat to be coveted by another team that wants a young, cost-controlled hitter.

Comments on AzFL Notes: Brandon Laird

1. clintfsu813
      October 25th, 2010 | 4:23 pm

My buddy Steve will hate to hear that, lol. He got his autograph in ST this year and was hoping it was like getting Jeter’s or Posadas in the early 90s.

2. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      October 25th, 2010 | 11:16 pm

“next to no shot”? You must not have seen him play in Trenton like I did this year!

3. MJ Recanati
      October 26th, 2010 | 7:07 am

RobertGKramer@AOL.Com wrote:

Minor league stats notwithstanding, you’re missing the bigger picture. The Yankees already have Teixeira and Rodriguez entrenched at their positions for at least the next two seasons. Laird would have to supplant one of the existing outfielders to make this ballclub and I don’t see that happening.

The Yankees would be doing him no favors by bringing him up to sit him on the bench and, furthermore, if there’s a market for his services, the Yankees would be doing themselves no favors by not trading him for something of value to them.

If you haven’t yet realized that the Yankees use their farm system as currency to acquire established players, you’re not really paying attention. The only in-house players the Yankees tend to keep are high-ceiling pitchers and internal relief options. Jesus Montero will be an interesting test case as he’ll be the first premium batter to graduate the Yankee system and potentially stick with the club in over a decade.

Laird isn’t Montero, hence he’s best used as a trade chip.

4. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      October 26th, 2010 | 5:20 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      I see “Inadvertently” has changed. That “bigger picture” is also changing and your comments on Nova and Nunez exclusion in the failed Lee trade tells me you’re still influenced by George Steinbrenner’s ghost. There’s no way to tell if Laird’s talent potential will be fully realized or what offers Cashman will receive for him. But to say “next to no shot” for the Eastern League MVP is too short sighted for my taste so I’ll skip reading your material.

5. MJ Recanati
      October 26th, 2010 | 6:26 pm

@ RobertGKramer@AOL.Com:
      Robert, I have no idea what you’re prattling on about.

I said Laird has next to no shot to stick with the Yankees as a regular player. I didn’t say he has next to no shot to make a major league roster or to have a productive MLB career. In case you haven’t realized yet, the Yankees only keep their elite prospects and use everyone else — from the very bad to the merely very good — as trade chips. When a team has everday players at Laird’s positions earning in excess of $20M annually, it’s very hard to see where Laird fits in with this team. That’s not a knock on Laird, it’s merely a statement of fact.

That Laird won the Eastern League MVP is an irrelevant bit of trivia. If anything, it helps bolster his trade value to the Yankees. But merely winning a minor league award doesn’t change the fact that he’s blocked at 1st and 3rd, isn’t considered an elite prospect by any talent evaluators or instrumental to the future of the big club.

Finally, I’m actually far from influenced by George Steinbrenner. I always thought the so-called Steinbrenner doctrine was pure rubbish on its face and then recycled noise used by the mainstream media to create expectations that were neither healthy nor realistic. I don’t advocate senseless chasing of championships and I don’t think my post about Nunez/Nova and Cliff Lee reflected any betrayal of that ethos whatsoever. As with Laird, Nova and Nunez are not otherworldly talents and if one or both of them could’ve been used to acquire one of the two best pitchers in all of baseball, it would’ve been a justifiable and sensible move to make.

As to no longer reading my work, that’s your choice to make. I don’t see why a disagreement of viewpoints warrants such a petty reaction on your part but I sure won’t stop you. Have a nice afternoon, Robert.

6. MJ Recanati
      October 26th, 2010 | 6:48 pm

@ RobertGKramer@AOL.Com:
      One final point, to frame the discussion a little differently.

If Laird were not a 3B but a SS or C (or a starting pitcher), there’s no doubt he’d warrant greater enthusiasm from the Yankee brass. But the fact that he won the Eastern League MVP and was still sent to the Arizona Fall League is telling. The Yankees want him to learn how to play the outfield because they don’t see an opening for him in the infield. That should tell you that the Yankees don’t see much of a chance that he’ll be able to make it to the big leagues as a member of the Yanks. There’s just nowhere to put him.

For that reason, learning the outfield will get him to the big leagues faster and, in all likelihood, to a different team that needs a young, cost-controlled hitter that could turn into a 20-25 HR player.

Bottom line, I’m surprised you think Laird will be a regular player for the Yankees, knowing everything you know about the team. I wish Laird well but I just don’t see any realistic chance that he ever plays more than 20-30 games in a single season for the team. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him traded by July 2011, if not sooner.

7. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      October 27th, 2010 | 1:10 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Pass!

8. MJ Recanati
      October 27th, 2010 | 1:49 pm

@ RobertGKramer@AOL.Com:
      You’re a weirdo. Enjoy LoHud and their 500 idiotic commenters.