• Downcast A-Rod Parties It Up In Miami After ALCS Loss

Posted by on October 25th, 2010 · Comments (9)

The Yankees Alex Rodriguez is quoted, below, directly after the Yankees lost the 2010 ALCS, via a New York Post report entitled “A-Rod downcast after postseason without homer” –

“This is going to hurt. And it’s going to hurt for a while. And it should. We expect to win every year and our front office has put a team on the field that’s expected to win and should win, and we came up short.”

…This is going to hurt. And it’s going to hurt for a while. And it should…

O.K., remember those words. And, now, see this report from TMZ entitled “A-Rod Mourns Playoff Loss with LeBron” -

The day after the New York Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs, Alex Rodriguez partied at a Miami nightclub with someone who is no stranger to playoff failure … LeBron James.

The two kicked it at the grand opening of the Arkadia at the Fontainebleau Hotel on Saturday night to attend Drake’s 24th birthday party.

Spies inside the club tell us both A-Rod and LeBron partied until 1:00 AM — and were each seen drinking Grey Goose La Poire vodka.

Since they’re each worth roughly a bazillion dollars — who do you think pays for drinks?

Hey, what can I say? It’s stuff like this which is the reason why so many see A-Rod has being totally disingenuous.

Comments on Downcast A-Rod Parties It Up In Miami After ALCS Loss

1. G.I. Joey
      October 25th, 2010 | 2:25 pm

Some people party in order to distract themselves from what is bothering them and to not deal with it. Just because he said this is going to hurt and didn’t lock himself in a closet doesn’t mean that the result of the season doesn’t bother him.

2. MJ Recanati
      October 25th, 2010 | 2:30 pm

The same old bullshit. How is A-Rod being disingenuous by going out to a club?

Steve, it’s a credit to you that you can make idiots like me jump up and down in your now-obviously calculating way. I no longer believe you believe any of the junk you write about A-Rod, you only do so for the reaction.

At least I hope that’s the case — and I’m OK with being played like a fool — because the alternative paints you as either entirely too rigid in your expectations of other human beings or, worse yet, someone sorely lacking in perspective.

3. October 25th, 2010 | 3:58 pm

@ G.I. Joey:
      @ MJ Recanati:

I’ve never lost an ALCS, period, much less one that I was supposed to win, or, at the least, put up a decent fight.

That said, I can’t imagine that losing it is as bad as learning a loved one is very sick, or, losing someone close to you. It’s baseball, not life or death.

But, I do imagine that losing an ALCS, to a ballplayer, would be the same as Joe Everyday suffering a setback that’s more than “Oh, crap, I missed out on the free donuts at work” and less than “The bank is taking my house away.” Somewhere just right to the middle – say, along the lines of “You just lost $65,000 today in your 401K because of something crazy in the market and your balance went from $90,000 down to $25,000 in the span of 24-hours.”

Now, let’s say someone who know just had THAT happen to them. And, they said that they were numb, devastated, and in a state of shock that would take a good while to recover from, etc. You would believe that – and totally understand where they were coming from, etc.

And, THEN, the next day, you saw them partying it up like their 401K just went up $65K in a day, as opposed to losing that in a day – tripping the light fantastic, acting like they were king of the world, etc.

Now, you probably would not deny them the right to do this – nor would I. However, would you not also think, to yourself or out-loud, I guess it wasn’t as bad as they said they were when this happened – because the way they’re acting now is very atypical of someone who truly was in that downcast state…?

Be honest. And, then apply that to A-Rod in this situation.

4. October 25th, 2010 | 4:24 pm

After my last serious relationship break-up, which left me numb, devastated, and in a state of shock that took me a while to recover from, what was the first thing I did? I played five straight games beer pong and drank myself silly an hour after it happened. I went out every single day of the week, spent money on dinner outings, drank part of the time, celebrated life with my friends, etc.

I consider the break-up to be the equivalent of a ball-player losing in the ALCS because you spend so much time working for a goal, building something with your teammates (or g/f) and the sudden end to that journey can be shocking.

People handle situations differently. Some just numb themselves and deal with it all later, which is what I did there. I wouldn’t judge him (or myself, for that matter) as harshly as you seemed to.

5. October 25th, 2010 | 4:27 pm

Just to continue that narrative on, I dealt with the bitterness, anger, and the like the week after the break-up and I dealt with it for two straight months.

What happened after that period? I found the girl who I’ve now been with for two and a half months with the same goal in mind: developing the relationship further and getting to know her better.

What’s going to happen a few months down the line for A-Rod? A new season with the same goal in mind: to win the World Series.

6. MJ Recanati
      October 25th, 2010 | 4:28 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      If that’s how you would react, that’s fine for you. The fact remains that expecting everyone else to behave the way you would is irrational and unrealistic.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that Alex was disingenuous by saying how upset he was at the ALCS result simply because he went out to a nightclub. There is no evidence to suggest that he’s not disingenuous for that reason, either. It is simply a subjective matter and that’s where my issue with you is. You see things as black-and-white and don’t leave room for individual interpretation. Not everyone is the same, Steve.

7. redbug
      October 25th, 2010 | 5:36 pm

Arod could have had the brains to keep his partying private. I’ve been down since Friday – not only because they lost but because the season is over.

Notice we don’t know how Jeter spent his weekend.

8. JeremyM
      October 25th, 2010 | 7:14 pm

I really could not care less how A-Rod spent his time. As long as it doesn’t impact his play, I don’t care. Since the season’s over, I think it’ll be fine…

9. October 25th, 2010 | 8:48 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      It’s not often that I agree with you on the A-Rod criticisms, Steve, but I think you have a point. You want athletes to at least pretend to be as upset as the fans are for some sort of grace period. Being out at Drake’s birthday party with LeBron James the very next night was really dopey of A-Rod to do.

Last week, I heard about how one of the Twins players got criticized on Twitter for saying on the site that he was enjoying having nothing to do. It was an offhand line a week after his season ended, but fans reamed him for not being more upset in October. That’s the way it is.