• Mrs. Cliff Lee Not In Love With Yankees Fans

Posted by on October 26th, 2010 · Comments (10)

Via Andrew Marchand -

Fans’ treatment of Cliff Lee’s wife at Yankee Stadium might not help recruitment of one of the game’s top left-handed pitchers.

During the AL Championship Series games in New York between the Yankees and Rangers, fans were extremely rude to Kristen Lee, spitting and throwing beer in her direction and shouting obscenities, according to USA Today.

“The fans did not do good things in my heart,” Kristen Lee said, according to the newspaper. “When people are staring at you, and saying horrible things, it’s hard not to take it personal.”

Kristen Lee sat in the visiting family section, according to USA Today.

What could counter-balance Kristen Lee’s bad experience is her close relationship with CC Sabathia’s wife, Amber. They have been close since Sabathia and Cliff Lee played together in Cleveland.

Cliff Lee and Sabathia are friends as well. The Sabathias and Lees already were discussing where the Lees should live when it appeared as if the Yankees were going to make a trade for Lee in July.

Hey, for what it’s worth, $150 million buys alotta ear-plugs.

Now, that said, if Lee wins a ring with the Rangers and falls in love with the franchise, and, if the state tax advantage that Texas has comes into play, and, if the Rangers come close to being in the range of what the Yankees offer…then this could be something that comes back to hurt the Yankees in their chase for the pitcher.

Comments on Mrs. Cliff Lee Not In Love With Yankees Fans

1. MJ Recanati
      October 26th, 2010 | 1:33 pm

All these types of stories are just conversation pieces. At the end of the day, money talks and ____ walks.

What I want to know, however, is how Yankee fans knew she was Cliff Lee’s wife. I just Googled her. She’s not a model or celebrity so unless she was wearing a “Mrs. Cliff Lee” nametag, I have no idea how people would know who she was enough to take the time to demean her and make her feel uncomfortable.

For that reason — and without completely dismissing her claims — I am at least somewhat dubious that she’s being completely honest here. I’m not saying it definitely didn’t happen, I’m just casting a little bit of doubt.

2. satchel
      October 26th, 2010 | 1:38 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Perhaps openly rooting for Lee and for Texas (which she presumably did) was enough to get her the treatment she described. These morons may have had no idea who they were abusing.

People like this are the reason I don’t talk about baseball and the reason I never tell anyone I am a Yankees fan. They are the root cause of statements like “Yankees fans are obnoxious assholes” – because those of us who act our age and don’t heap abuse on fans of other teams are obscured by these shit-for-brains idiots.

I hate them and hope they choke on their piss-water beers for ruining it for the rest of us.

3. MJ Recanati
      October 26th, 2010 | 1:45 pm

@ satchel:
      And yet it’s a safe assumption that she was sitting in the “moated” section of the ballpark. I’m pretty sure the folks that sit there don’t throw beer or obnoxiously yell at the people sitting next to them.

Again, I’m not saying it didn’t happen but it sounds to me like she’s probably overrreacting to something else.

Either way, I agree with you in general that behavior of that sort isn’t appropriate. I don’t agree with you, however, that it’s only common among Yankee fans. Bad drunks are common in all walks of life, not just at Yankee Stadium. Ever been to Wrigley Field or Fenway Park? Those people are lunatics too.

4. satchel
      October 26th, 2010 | 6:37 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:
      <blockquote I don’t agree with you, however, that it’s only common among Yankee fans. Bad drunks are common in all walks of life, not just at Yankee Stadium. Ever been to Wrigley Field or Fenway Park? Those people are lunatics too.

Oh, I didn’t say it was only common among Yankees fans. But I don’t have a personal stake in Red Sox fans or Cubs fans making asses of themselves. ;) It doesn’t reflect on ME.

Anyway, like it or not, the rest of the baseball world holds us to a higher standard – it’s not fair, but they do. After all, it’s not the Cubs and their fans that all of America loves to hate.

Both the Yankees and the Phillies were eliminated this weekend. Yet what I see on Facebook (just to pick one slice of data) is “Condolences to my Phillies fan friends” versus “Thank God I don’t have to listen to those bastard Yankees fans crowing this year. Suck it Yankees fans!” The only reason the people I work with haven’t harassed me (I live in Boston) is because nobody knows I am a Yankees fan. I learned that lesson a long time ago. I don’t talk about it.

I have a Mets fan friend who is constantly a dick about how much she hates the Yankees and their “obnoxious fans.” Someday I will point out to her that when she and I talk baseball, only one of us is obnoxious, and it ain’t the Yankees fan.

5. satchel
      October 26th, 2010 | 6:38 pm

Sorry, I munged MJ’s quote there. The first paragraph is MJ’s; the rest is all my ranting.

6. Evan3457
      October 26th, 2010 | 7:05 pm

The no state income tax thing is vastly overrated. The max rate in NY is 7.85%

This means that if the Rangers offer $125 million over 5 years, the Yanks top it by offering $135 million.

7. October 26th, 2010 | 11:08 pm

@ Evan3457:
      It’s also the city tax, too. Take it from me, somebody who moved from Texas to New York — it’s a significant jump. Factor in cost of living, and the Yanks will need to offer considerably more than 10 million extra to match Texas.

8. MJ Recanati
      October 27th, 2010 | 8:49 am

@ lisaswan:
      You’re telling me an extra $2M annually wouldn’t cover the NYC tax rate and cover COLA between the Metroplex and NYC?

Nah, I don’t buy that. The NYC tax rate isn’t bracketable, meaning high net worth individuals don’t pay more, as they do federal income taxes. Cliff Lee’s COLA isn’t more than $2M annually. No way.

9. clintfsu813
      October 27th, 2010 | 10:16 am

Cash is gonna pay whatever the difference is to bring Lee to the Bronx. We WILL overpay for Lee. Thats just the way it is. Always will be. If he wants to take a good chunk less to stay in Texas…good for him. We’ve won it without him and we can do it again.

10. 77yankees
      October 27th, 2010 | 10:18 am

This is nothing more than just posturing to extract a higher offer from the Yankees – nothing more.

If she was getting spit on, why didn’t she or a Rangers team official seek out Stadium security?

I’ve been to many Yankee games over the years, and if you’ve never sat near or around a clown(s) unable to manage their liquor intake, then you’ve been sitting next to the Yankee dugout. So I’m not saying it can’t or doesn’t happen.

But what I am saying is that it’s curious to blatantly publicize something when there’s obviously an ulterior motive.