• Mets Hire Sandy Alderson

Posted by on October 27th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Via ESPN and credit Jon Heyman with the scoop –

Sandy Alderson will be the next general manager of the New York Mets, a source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.

An announcement could come Friday, on the off day between Games 2 and 3 of the World Series.

Alderson, 62, has been considered the favorite to land the position since the outset.

SI.com first reported his selection Tuesday night.

Alderson led the Oakland Athletics to three straight World Series appearances, including the 1989 championship, while serving as general manager from 1983 to 1997. After a stint with Major League Baseball concentrating on umpiring and building the game internationally, Alderson served as chief executive officer of the San Diego Padres until resigning in March 2009 when that ballclub was purchased by a group headed by Jeff Moorad.

Alderson is supposedly a bright guy. (Go read Moneyball.) But, when I think of him, the first thing that comes to mind is that he was the guy who turned a blind-eye to a team full of juicers from 1986 to 1997 and then got rewarded for that when Bud Selig gave him a cushy job in with MLB. In any event, if he does a good job, I wonder if that will bother the Yankees Brian Cashman? Remember a few years back when Cashman was upset because some fan sent him an email that said “You’re no Theo Epstein”? What will happen now if the media starts to extol Alderson and use Cashman’s failures as a basis of comparison? Now, that could be interesting…

Comments on Mets Hire Sandy Alderson

1. MJ Recanati
      October 27th, 2010 | 8:54 am

Cashman isn’t as sensitive as you make him out to be. I’m not trying to change your mind, just merely pointing out that repeating it over and over and believing it with every fiber of your being doesn’t make it true.

In any case, Alderson has to achieve success with the Mets first before anyone can start comparing him to Brian Cashman. Until the Mets overcome their $150M annual disaster, it’s pointless to even speculate on how much better Alderson will be than Brian Cashman.

I understand why the Mets hired Alderson — Bud Selig practically forced them — but I think they made an uninspired choice.

2. October 27th, 2010 | 9:51 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Cashman isn’t as sensitive as you make him out to be.

See two years ago:

3. MJ Recanati
      October 27th, 2010 | 10:07 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      A self-referential link doesn’t prove anything, sorry.

I’m not in the mood to debate here. All I’m saying is that I don’t think you’re in a position to just unilaterally state that he’s overly sensitive.

4. October 27th, 2010 | 10:21 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

And, I don’t think you’re in a position to just unilaterally state that he’s not overly sensitive.

5. MJ Recanati
      October 27th, 2010 | 10:36 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I’m not, and never have.

6. 77yankees
      October 27th, 2010 | 10:55 am

Never mind the squabbling, guys. There’s a much bigger story here:

Are Sandy Alderson and Ed Coleman the same person?

7. Jim TreshFan
      October 27th, 2010 | 11:05 am

Does Alderson have any clue what he’s getting into with the Mutts?

8. MJ Recanati
      October 27th, 2010 | 11:44 am

Jim TreshFan wrote:

Does Alderson have any clue what he’s getting into with the Mutts?

Probably not. He’s doing his buddy Bud Selig a solid by taking over that craptastic disaster in Queens. He’ll stick around for three to four years, do the best he can but will eventually retire knowing that the Wilpons are hard to work for and are bipolar in their approach to the game.

9. ken
      October 27th, 2010 | 4:39 pm

Is this like when everyone said that Geithner was the only person in the country who could fix the economy? How did that turn out? I don’t see a good ending for this arrangement.