• You Know What The Rays & Yankees Are Thinking

Posted by on October 27th, 2010 · Comments (12)

Was that really Cliff Lee out there tonight in San Fran?

Comments on You Know What The Rays & Yankees Are Thinking

1. 77yankees
      October 27th, 2010 | 11:06 pm

Hey, at least the Mrs. didn’t get spat upon…….allegedly.

2. Evan3457
      October 28th, 2010 | 12:41 am

Maybe…if the Yanks can’t sign Lee…they need to sign some free agents away from the Giants. Burell, Ross, Uribe and Huff are all available….

And all this goes to show that you never know what’s going to happen on the field. A team can be superior and still lose a game, or a short series of games…

…as if that hasn’t been going onn for the last 140 years of major league baseball…

3. MJ Recanati
      October 28th, 2010 | 7:40 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      My thoughts exactly. As I was watching Lee get rocked out there, I was thinking “I can’t believe he picks now to get bombed! He couldn’t have shown up with nothing in his arm last Monday?!”

4. nwyank
      October 28th, 2010 | 10:45 am

Lee was due for a clunker. Only human.
      Question: is there any player on the Giants who would start on the Yankees? Posey maybe? Burrell/Huff/Ross? Don’t think so.

5. #15
      October 28th, 2010 | 10:59 am

Lee’s games against both the Rays and Yankees were masterful. The PitchTrac showed what a great job he did in those games of hitting the corners, stretching the strike zone north and south and in general keeping the ball out of the middle of the strike zone. Add in 4 pitches to contend with and you have little or no chance as a batter. I thought either the Rays or the Yankees, behind a decent effort by their respective number 1′s, likely would have won that game last night.

BTW, when was the last time Tiny Tim was drug tested? Something tells me he’s still blazing doobies on a regular basis. Perhaps it’s also why he’s a fan favorite in the Bay Area… http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/They-Think-Were-Smoking-Weed-105909923.html?dr

Of course, Ron Washington and J-Ham might have their own issues as well.

6. GDH
      October 28th, 2010 | 12:34 pm

@ #15:
      I’m actually surprised that it wasn’t worse. Burrell missed at least 3 cookies (only because he tried to hit them to Oakland) and there were multiple misses down the middle fouled straight back. Even the Ks looking got too much of the plate. I’d like to think that if that were the Yanks they’d have had 8 runs in 2 innings, but given what I saw in the ALCS, that would be wishing a lot. Still it was sweet to see that guy’s “mystique” turn into “mistake.”

7. October 28th, 2010 | 1:05 pm

Just imagine what’s going to happen if Lee throws a game like this one in his 1st start of the 2011 post-season after he signs a $150 million deal with the Yankees.

8. MJ Recanati
      October 28th, 2010 | 1:38 pm

nwyank wrote:

Question: is there any player on the Giants who would start on the Yankees?

Buster Posey, absolutely. He’s everything we pray that Montero can turn into. Defensively, Montero will never be Posey. Offensively, Montero may surpass him.

Other than that, there isn’t another player among the Giants regulars that would play in New York.

9. MJ Recanati
      October 28th, 2010 | 1:39 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

A little too soon to be in doomsday mode. Everyone is too quick to forget all the other starts he had that were brilliant.

10. October 28th, 2010 | 1:56 pm

@ MJ Recanati:I think you got me wrong here. I’m not saying the guy sucks. He’s an excellent pitcher. As I have stated before, to me, he’s an in shape and more intelligent verison of David Wells, in his prime.

What I meant was – I fear that Yankees fans, if he were to sign with the Yankees, are going to expect a 3-hitter with 13 Ks every time he pitches in the post-season, based on the way he threw vs. New York. And, sadly, when he doesn’t meet that insanely high bar, Yankeedom is going to turn on him and treat him like he’s Javy Vazquez.

Well, maybe…at least it’s possible they may…

11. MJ Recanati
      October 28th, 2010 | 3:01 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I don’t think Yankee fans would turn on him and treat him like Javy Vazquez. A season full of great outings wouldn’t be erased by one playoff stinker otherwise fans would hate CC Sabathia too for how poorly he pitched in the 2010 playoffs and I haven’t seen or heard any negativity towards him.

12. BOHAN
      October 28th, 2010 | 4:37 pm

nwyank wrote:

i would love to have posey… very good ball player. can hit and is very good defensively with a cannon for an arm