• Madden: Cashman Sees Nunez As Jeter’s Heir

Posted by on October 31st, 2010 · Comments (9)

Via Bill Madden

No, the real [Cliff Lee trade] deal-breaking prospect, as far as the Yankees were concerned, was infielder Eduardo Nunez. Yankee GM Brian Cashman was willing to sacrifice Montero – despite all the scouts’ raves about his power potential – because he has a surplus of catchers. Nunez, on the other hand, is viewed by Cashman as a big part of the Yankee future which is why, when Mariners’ GM Jack Zduriencik asked for his inclusion in the deal as a substitute for injured second-base prospect David Adams, the Yankee GM essentially said: “Enough!” Turns out Zduriencik was right about Adams being potentially damaged goods – the hard-hitting second baseman never came back from the severely broken ankle he suffered at Double-A Trenton and then underwent additional surgery after the season, precluding him from making up for all the lost time in winter ball – but in asking for Nunez he was asking for the player the Yankees are now viewing as Derek Jeter’s successor. Though no one in the Yankee high command is ever going to even speculate about the future after 2011 – especially with the very sensitive contract negotiations with Jeter about to get underway – but it’s becoming increasingly clear the plan is to phase out Jorge Posada next season when his contract expires, opening up the DH slot for Alex Rodriguez, thereby allowing Jeter to move to third, making room for a more athletic shortstop, which would be the 24-year-old Venezuelan, Nunez, who hit .289 with 50 RBI and 23 stolen bases in 118 games at Triple-A Scranton this season.

So what’s the deal with Nunez? Is he the real deal? Here’s what a couple of scouts had to say about him – and Montero.

“Nunez is your consummate ‘tools’ guy,” said the first scout. “He’s got a plus arm, he can hit, has some pop and can run. He has a tendency, however, to get lackadaisical in the field and he needs to learn not to chase so many pitches.”

“Do I think Nunez can be a ‘plus’ major league shortstop?” asked the other scout. “Yes, but he’s still got a lot to learn. The ability’s there. Will he perform to it? I don’t know. I’m just not sure about the makeup. (Robinson) Cano was the same way when he was that age, and he grew up. It says a lot for Nunez that he batted third most of the season at Triple-A. He hit a lot of mistakes which he won’t see that much of in the majors.”

Meanwhile, a now 32-year old Erick Almonte is playing first base for the Brewers’ Triple-A team…

Comments on Madden: Cashman Sees Nunez As Jeter’s Heir

1. Corey Italiano
      October 31st, 2010 | 10:16 am

This all sounds like Cashman speak for Nunez will be traded soon.

2. Evan3457
      October 31st, 2010 | 11:09 am

Meanwhile, Jeter was 29 when Almonte got his 100 AB in the majors in 2003.

Jeter is now 36, going on 37.

Meanwhile, Nunez is a better hitter on all minor league levels than Almonte ever was.

Nunez can bust out, also, but he’s a much better prospect than Almonte was. And it’s not close.

3. Evan3457
      October 31st, 2010 | 11:12 am

I clarify: the batting lines look similar, but Scranton is a tougher park to hit in than Columbus. And Nunez’ season at age 22 in Trenton (an even tougher hitters’ park) is more impressive than anything on Almonte’s minor league record.

4. October 31st, 2010 | 6:12 pm

I would have made the Lee deal even if it meant giving up Nunez. I don’t see Nunez as a blue chipper, and championship teams don’t grow on trees.

5. Scout
      October 31st, 2010 | 7:58 pm

The part of the story that disturbs me is the notion that Jeter can replace A-Rod at third. There is no way that an aging Jeter can provide sufficient offense at third; his bat plays decently at shortstop, yes, but not at a position where power is at a premium. If this is the logc behind ginving Jeter a contract of more than two years, it is sheer stupidity.

6. MJ Recanati
      November 1st, 2010 | 5:06 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

I agree. And, honestly, all this “Nunez is good” talk is news. To this point, scouts have all tagged Nunez as a utility player and from what I saw at the end of this season, I agree.

7. Evan3457
      November 1st, 2010 | 9:25 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Joseph Maloney wrote:

It’s just my opinion, but Nunez has room to grow into a slightly above average regular shortstop, and that has real value.

8. MJ Recanati
      November 1st, 2010 | 9:37 pm

@ Evan3457:
      Offensively or defensively? I’m not convinced of either but I think he’s got a better shot being an average bat. I didn’t like the glove at all for a supposed glove man.

9. McMillan