• Rangers CEO: Yankees Fans “Violent, Apathetic And An Embarrassment”

Posted by on November 1st, 2010 · Comments (9)

Via Wally Matthews

The CEO of the Texas Rangers called New York Yankees fans “violent,” “apathetic” and “an embarrassment” for their behavior during the American League Championship Series in an interview on Monday with ESPN Radio in Dallas.

Responding to a question about Rangers fans’ demeanor during the postseason, Chuck Greenberg digressed into a critique of Yankees fans which included an unflattering characterization.

“I think our fans have been great,” Greenberg said on the “Ben and Skin Show” on 103.3 KESN. “I think particularly in Game 3 of the World Series they just blew away anything I’ve seen in any venue during the postseason. I thought Yankee fans, frankly, were awful. They were either violent or apathetic, neither of which is good. So I thought Yankee fans were by far the worst of any I’ve seen in the postseason. I thought they were an embarrassment.”

Yankees president Randy Levine declined to comment in a statement issued through a spokesperson: “At this time, we are honoring the commissioner’s policy regarding respecting and not distracting from the World Series.”

As Greenberg’s comments started to make the rounds, Rangers spokesman John Blake issued a statement: “Chuck really doesn’t have much to add. Basically all he’s saying is he’s proud of our fans and he’s focused on Game 5 of the World Series.”

Update: Greenberg backpedals.

Comments on Rangers CEO: Yankees Fans “Violent, Apathetic And An Embarrassment”

1. YankCrank
      November 1st, 2010 | 4:02 pm

Best revenge would be keeping his mouth shut and eventually signing Cliff Lee.

2. MJ Recanati
      November 1st, 2010 | 4:54 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Best revenge would be keeping his mouth shut and eventually signing Cliff Lee.

And ours would be signing Cliff Lee, issuing a statement saying that the Yanks go above and beyond for their fans and then smoking the Rangers next year while they miss the playoffs.

Bottom line, Greenberg has to say anything he can about the Yanks because he has to make sure his fan base knows who the enemy is when Cliff Lee doesn’t get signed. It’s the oldest trick in the book.

As I said when Mrs. Lee made her statements as well: I simply don’t believe a word of it. Fans in the “moat” don’t behave that way. If they did, we would’ve have spent the last 2 years talking about how rich fans have no passion and aren’t true fans because they’re only there to eat and hobnob in the good seats.

3. November 1st, 2010 | 5:10 pm

I doubt the Yankees put the Rangers family inside the moat for those games. Field level? Yes. Inside the moat with all those perks? I would be shocked. Do we have a confirm that they were inside the moat?

4. November 1st, 2010 | 5:19 pm

According to Wiki, if you can trust that, Greenberg has had a long-time association with Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. When they lived in Pittsburgh, the two were neighbors, and both attended the Temple Emanuel synagogue.

Seems like Greenberg is trying to become the Cuban of baseball.

Either that, or, this is his way of dressing up as Larry Lucchino for Halloween.

5. #15
      November 1st, 2010 | 5:50 pm

Hey,
      First hand experience this year in Arlington. This gas-bag needs to go sit up in the cheap seats in his own house. Loud mouth drunks are a universal constant and The Ballpark is no exception. Just in this year, I’ve seen it in LA at a Yanks vs Dodgers game, in Houston (though not against the Yankees), and Arlington (in the playoffs vs the Yankees). By comparison, in my games in NY this year I observed some needling of the opposition fans, but not like what I witnessed firsthand as a Yankee fan (with my teenage kids with me) at these other parks.

Call this #15′s first rule of fandom….. The proportion of vulgarians, and elevated blood alcohol levels, move inversely to seat price.

Bottom line is… I do hate the common man, no matter what team they support.

6. MJ Recanati
      November 1st, 2010 | 7:05 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Unless we’re talking about Field Level in the outfield, the common theme has been that “expensive seats = not true fans.” If that’s true, then Greenberg and Cliff Lee’s wife are full of shit. If Greenberg and Cliff Lee’s wife are telling the truth then we can dispense with the idiotic notion that the average joe is priced out of Yankee Stadium at Field Level because that sort of behavior is pretty much in line with the so-called passionate fan all of these populist pleas have lamented.

7. November 1st, 2010 | 9:46 pm

Completely disagree with this: “Betcha Levine is rooting for a Giants win tonight, and for the Series to be over, so he can let loose on this one.” Levine didn’t defend the Yankees before the WS, when Cliff Lee’s wife complained of knuckleheadsed fans. And the team announced Girardi’s re-signing during WS week. I doubt he’ll say anything at all about it.

November 1st, 2010 | 10:20 pm

Meh, the same charge is pretty much levied against fans all over MLB.

9. Jim TreshFan
      November 1st, 2010 | 10:55 pm

Well, the Texas Ranger line-up looked rather apathetic and were certainly an embarrassment to the Junior Circuit tonight.