• Hal Stein: Jeter Talks “Could Get Messy”

Posted by on November 3rd, 2010 · Comments (12)

Oh, boy…

Via Mark Feinsand -

Hal Steinbrenner wants Derek Jeter back in pinstripes next season. Just not at any cost.

The Yankees’ managing general partner did a pair of radio interviews Tuesday, and while Steinbrenner seemed most eager to defend his fans in the wake of Rangers owner Chuck Greenberg’s unprompted attack on Monday, his words about the Yankees’ captain stood out.

“He’s one of the greatest Yankees in history; no doubt about it,” Steinbrenner said on WFAN. “But at the same time, I’m running a business. I have responsibilities.

“Hank and I are responsible to our partners, so we have to remain somewhat objective. I want to get a deal done that he’s happy with, but also that I’m happy with.”

During his interview on 1050 ESPN Radio, Steinbrenner acknowledged that drawing a line in the sand with a player of iconic stature such as Jeter can be risky.

“There’s always the possibility that things could get messy,” Steinbrenner said. “Our fans are very emotional, and that’s what we love about them, but I’ve got to try to do my job on behalf of the partnership and everybody involved in the organization. Hank and I need to keep a level head and realize that we’re running a business here.”

Comments on Hal Stein: Jeter Talks “Could Get Messy”

1. clintfsu813
      November 3rd, 2010 | 9:31 am

This is good news. Its nice to know the owners are going to make a smart decision about Derek and not go over the top. I feel like George would have given Derek a blank check.

2. November 3rd, 2010 | 9:35 am

Like Hank gave A-Rod?

3. clintfsu813
      November 3rd, 2010 | 9:54 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Exactly.

4. MJ Recanati
      November 3rd, 2010 | 11:11 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

I agree. I just hope that he sticks to his words and gives Jeter a contract that reflects both his stature and HOF credentials, as well as reflects his horrid 2008 and 2010 seasons and advancing age.

3Y/$50M, not a year longer nor a penny more. If Jeter doesn’t like it, tell him to hit the road and collect hit #3000 as a member of the Seattle Mariners.

5. PocketAces
      November 3rd, 2010 | 11:48 am

I don’t believe there is a shred of a chance it will be 3Y/$50M.

I do think it could be 3Y/$60M….just an opinion, but let’s be honest from Jeter’s stand point, he can say he is making $20M/year. From Yankees stand point, it is “only” $3.33M/Year more per year. No big deal for the Yankees

6. clintfsu813
      November 3rd, 2010 | 12:02 pm

PocketAces wrote:

But the point is that Jeter doesnt deserve MORE. He deserves less than his current salary.

7. MJ Recanati
      November 3rd, 2010 | 2:37 pm

@ PocketAces:
      I hear what you’re saying but I agree with Clint’s comment (above). Jeter doesn’t deserve even the nearly $17M I suggested. Unlike A-Rod, Posada and Rivera’s last contract negotiations, Jeter is coming off two bad seasons out of three. Other than his name and his standing in the community (and team record books), he shouldn’t have the leverage to command much more than that.

8. clintfsu813
      November 3rd, 2010 | 3:12 pm
    9. MJ Recanati
      November 3rd, 2010 | 3:46 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      LOL! If Jeter asks for six years, all I can do is chuckle. The Yankees won’t show the spine they’ll need for this negotiation but I’d support them 100% if they told Jeter to shove his six year demand while he’s playing in KC or Seattle.

10. redbug
      November 3rd, 2010 | 5:18 pm

If Hal had any sense, he’d just shut up. There’s absolutely no need to negotiate Jeter’s contract publically. Notice we haven’t heard one word from Jeter. Hal needs to be careful and not seem disrespectful of Jeter. Jeter’s brought only the playing record of a Yankee legend and a world of class to the Yankees. They must treat him with the same level of class.

11. MJ Recanati
      November 3rd, 2010 | 6:04 pm

@ redbug:
      Actually, negotiating in public is smart. He stirs up the feeling of loyalty to the laundry instead of to the player. Negotiating in private could lead to overpaying. Negotiating in public gives him an out when he doesn’t want to sell the farm for a 36 year old SS coming off two of the worst seasons of his career in ’08 and ’10.

12. Scout
      November 3rd, 2010 | 9:40 pm

Anything over two years is a mistake. The Yankees will be fortunate if he is not a detriment to their chances of winning before that. Beyond two years and you may as well attach a ball and chain to the roster — it’ll be dead weight, one way or the other.