• One SS List Jeter Will Never Make

Posted by on November 5th, 2010 · Comments (7)

Here it is.

Hey, Derek can’t make them all, right?

Comments on One SS List Jeter Will Never Make

1. #15
      November 5th, 2010 | 1:20 pm

And #4 was a southpaw!

2. MJ Recanati
      November 5th, 2010 | 1:25 pm

Wow, that’s some list. Most of those guys were great athletes. It’s weird to see Mark McGwire on there…

November 5th, 2010 | 2:24 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

He briefly played on the other side of the infield (3b/ss) before moving to 1b. I remember he was called “Son of Kong” at one time :)

True that it’s hard to believe that he, Sheffield (3b/ss), Tartabull (2b), Raines (2b), among others actually played the infield for more than a handful of games.

Do you remember Mattingly playing 3b for a game or two? I think it was in Seattle.

4. MJ Recanati
      November 5th, 2010 | 3:42 pm

Raf wrote:

I very vaguely remember that.

I knew about Sheffield because I remember him playing the infield for the Brewers and a bit for the Padres. I had no idea that Raines or Tartabull ever played at 2B. Tartabull, especially, I just can’t picture over there.

Then again, it’s hard to picture Posada at 2B in the minors… :-D

5. OldYanksFan
      November 5th, 2010 | 9:36 pm

And Mantle came up as a SS. I think, so did Murcer.

November 5th, 2010 | 9:41 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Tartabull, especially, I just can’t picture over there.

If you ever catch Clemens’ 20K game against the Mariners, you’ll see a skinny Jheri-curled Danny Tartabull playing 2b :D

7. 77yankees
      November 6th, 2010 | 10:00 pm

A lot of those guys were probably the best athletes at their high schools and were naturally placed at SS. Once they advanced into pro ball, the athletic skill sets were more on par with their peers.

In addition, some probably outgrew the position, at least in the pre-Ripken era before we started to see short stops who were over six feet tall or more than 170-180 pounds.