• Will December 6th Be Big Day For Big Stein?

Posted by on November 9th, 2010 · Comments (8)

Can the day before Pearl Harbor Day be special for the man born on the Fouth of July?

All depends on the ballot results.

Comments on Will December 6th Be Big Day For Big Stein?

1. MJ Recanati
      November 9th, 2010 | 6:30 pm

I imagine that his passing has only helped his candidacy.

2. redbug
      November 9th, 2010 | 7:11 pm

I hope not. Anyone suspended from the game not once but twice doesn’t deserve to be honored by being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

3. MJ Recanati
      November 9th, 2010 | 8:57 pm

@ redbug:
      I agree 100% with you.

4. November 9th, 2010 | 9:14 pm

@ redbug:
      Of course he should be in the Hall of Fame. He rebuilt the Yankees turning them into the most important sports brand in the United States. The Yankees were fudging attendance figures when he arrived just to be able to claim they reached the one million mark. When George arrived the Yankee TV package was for 69 games. The team couldn’t even sell out all the ad spots. On the radio side the weeknight West Coast Games were not broadcast on the Yankees flagship station (WMCA). 7 World Championships, 11 pennants, 18 postseason appearances, to argue he doesn’t belong is ridiculous. He’s not running for sainthood. Baseball reinstated him, maybe they shouldn’t have, but they did, so that ends that. I’m not a Pete Rose guy. I hope baseball does not put him on the eligible list, but if he is reinstated, he has to go in to the Hall of Fame.

5. Evan3457
      November 9th, 2010 | 10:50 pm

I am of two minds on this.

I can definitely see the argument against Steinbrenner…double suspension, high payroll negatively affects competitive balance, childish public rants against players, belitting and attempting to destroy certain great players (Jackson and Winfield, to name two).

And yet, if the Hall of Fame has room for Charles Comiskey and Tom Yawkey, then it oughta hold it’s nose and make room for Steinbrenner, too. He was a more significant owner than either of them, and both of them has major negative marks against them. For Comiskey, it was being such a tightwad he practically pushed the 1919 White Sox into throwing the World Series. For Yawkey, it was being the last team to integrate.

If those two go in, then Steinbrenner can go in, too. Not saying he should, but if he did, it wouldn’t outrage me.

November 10th, 2010 | 12:22 am

redbug wrote:

Regardless, he has impacted the game in a way few owners have.

7. #15
      November 10th, 2010 | 6:43 am

@ redbug:
      By that logic, Wilpon has a chance to get in? Try it this way, what owner deserves to get in if George doesn’t?

Slam dunk.

8. redbug
      November 10th, 2010 | 8:30 am

@ #15:

I’m not advocating on any owner’s behalf. I’m simply saying anyone who was suspended (and in his cae twice) doesn’t belong in the HOF.