• Yankees Have No Interest In Leo Mazzone

Posted by on November 16th, 2010 · Comments (12)

Via Mark Feinsand -

The pitching coach search is on hold while the meetings go on, because they have to be conducted at the Stadium. Cashman said the candidates are getting “homework” and they have to use the video equipment and other facilities for the interviews. Mike Harkey and Gil Patterson have interviewed and Triple-A pitching coach Scott Aldred will be interviewed this week. Cashman would not say if Rick Peterson, the former Met pitching coach who was recently let go by the Brewers, would be a candidate, though he did praise Peterson’s pitching acumen. Ex-Braves coach Leo Mazzone is NOT a candidate, Cashman said. “No, we’re not going to interview Leo,” Cashman said. “Leo turned down the Yankee job once. He was offered the job before Gator (Ron Guidry) in 2006 and he went to Baltimore.”

Hmmm…I suppose that Hell has no fury like a Cashman scorned…when it comes to the job of Yankees pitching coach.

Comments on Yankees Have No Interest In Leo Mazzone

1. Jim TreshFan
      November 16th, 2010 | 11:36 am

Mazzone is probably waiting for buddy Sam Perlozzo to get another shot at managing. That was the issue in ’06 IIRC.

2. MJ Recanati
      November 16th, 2010 | 11:57 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Meh. Leo had some good years in Atlanta but I don’t think the Yanks are missing out by passing on Mazzone. Baltimore’s pitchers didn’t enjoy working with him, and said so, after he was let go. The Yankees have to do what’s best for them and if they don’t think Mazzone’s a good fit, I don’t see anything wrong with that.

@ Jim TreshFan:
      Leo will be waiting a long time if he’s waiting on Perlozzo to get another job.

3. November 16th, 2010 | 12:04 pm

This all sounds like petty stuff to me.
      If Leo was good enough to hire in 2006, how can he not be good enough to at least interview in 2011? Did he get really dumb over the last 5 years?

4. Jim TreshFan
      November 16th, 2010 | 12:25 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Steve Lombardi wrote:

This all sounds like petty stuff to me.

Not quite. But I think his tenure with the O’s showed he might not have been the pitching genius he was assumed to be.

5. MJ Recanati
      November 16th, 2010 | 12:44 pm

Jim TreshFan wrote:

I agree with this. Also, it could be an age thing (Mazzone is 62, Rick Petersen is 56, Gil Patterson is 55, Mike Harkey is 44 and Scott Aldred is 42) or simply that Girardi thinks he’d work better with someone else.

Just because Joe Torre might’ve wanted Mazzone on staff, doesn’t mean Girardi wants him five years later.

Again, Steve, don’t be so quick to use your Cashman-hating blinders without considering other possibilities.

6. #15
      November 16th, 2010 | 12:57 pm

None of the guys they are talking to are very exciting, either by track record or personal success pitching or coaching. I always thought Coney would be a good pitching coach. Gil Patterson? Really? Harkey looked over his head when he filled in last year. Of course, if you sign Lee and Andy comes back and stays healthy, I could probably get us into the playoffs.

7. Jim TreshFan
      November 16th, 2010 | 1:26 pm

I don’t know if Mazzone’s age has anything to do with it. Years ago (some of you older fans will remember) the Yankees had a pitching coach named Jim Turner who was well into his 60′s. I think he might have even turned 70 wearing the pinstripes. What interests me more is what Mazzone’s been up to for the last 3 years. Certainly there’s been openings and opportunities for MLB pitching coaches over that span. What gives? Or is he really waiting on Perlozzo?

8. MJ Recanati
      November 16th, 2010 | 2:34 pm

#15 wrote:

While I agree that none of the names have had much success in the big leagues as pitchers, I don’t see why that really matters much. Ron Guidry and Mel Stottlemyre were both successful MLB pitchers and neither particularly impressed during their tenure as NYY pitching coach. By contrast, Dave Duncan of the Cardinals was a failed catcher and he’s considered one of the game’s best pitching coaches.

In terms of “excitement”, I’m not sure I understand what else one would expect. There are the celebrity pitching coaches (Duncan, Mazzone and Don Cooper of the White Sox) and there’s everyone else.

#15 wrote:

I always thought Coney would be a good pitching coach.

And he might be. But there’s something to be said about being a coach at some level before you get thrust into a major league coaching position. Simply being a former All-Star isn’t a guarantee that you have the temperament or skill to impart your knowledge onto your pupils.

If Cone ever decides to get into coaching, the Yankees should definitely give him a chance to earn his stripes. But it’s probably not the best idea in the world to just hire a guy off the street before you know what his teaching methods are.

9. MJ Recanati
      November 16th, 2010 | 2:37 pm

@ Jim TreshFan:
      I’m not saying Mazzone’s age has anything to do with it, I’m just tossing it out there as one idea of why the Yanks may not be interested. In any case, 62 isn’t old so if Mazzone wanted to coach again, I’m sure someone would be willing to bring him in.

I personally believe it’s a combination of what you said earlier — he underwhelmed as pitching coach of the Orioles — and what I suggested, namely that Girardi may not think he and Mazzone would work well together. Whereas Bobby Cox and Joe Torre were more relaxed in temperament in terms how they dealt with players, Girardi seems more intense. Perhaps having two intense guys on one staff isn’t what Girardi wants?

10. Evan3457
      November 16th, 2010 | 3:23 pm

Maybe Cashman felt that Mazzone gave him the run-around the last time.

I dunno; Mazzone seems like a passable choice to me, but as MJ says, there could be any number of reasons to think he’d be a bad choice for the job at this point.

11. ken
      November 16th, 2010 | 5:46 pm

I would like to see Peterson work with the Yanks young pitchers. (I know he got a bad rap with the Mets but look what we now know about that organization. The Wilpons make a living by finding scapegoats for their mismanagement.)

12. 77yankees
      November 16th, 2010 | 10:06 pm

Well, it doesn’t seem like the rest of MLB has been knocking Mazzone’s door down since the Orioles let him go.