• ESPN New York: Jeter, Yanks “At Odds”

Posted by on November 18th, 2010 · Comments (15)

As the headline to this post states, apparently one source* claims that the Yankees and free agent shortstop Derek Jeter are at odds over the length of any future contract between the two sides.

ORLANDO, Fla. — The New York Yankees would be happy to get Derek Jeter to agree to a three-year contract for $21 million a year, according to a source who has ties to both the team and the player.

But Jeter, the source said, wants at least a four-year deal, preferably five or six. According to the source, there is at least one voice inside the Yankees’ hierarchy urging the front office to play hard ball with Jeter.

“Tell him the deal is three years at $15 million a year, take it or leave it,” the person taking the hard-line approach said. “Wait him out and he’ll wind up taking it. Where’s he gonna go, Cincinnati?”

But according to the source, the Yankees are fearful of fan backlash and a public relations nightmare if they let Jeter go.

If this report is to be believed — that the Yankees are offering Derek Jeter 3Y/$63M contract — no one could accuse the Yankees of not honoring Jeter’s legacy.  $21M per season would represent the same salary that Jeter played for in 2010 and the length of the contract would mean that he would be 39 years old at the deal’s expiration date in 2013.

Although $63M is a lot of scratch to commit to a player that may be in steep decline, it is certainly a good faith offer.  If I’m the Yankees, I have a clear conscience.  Should Jeter want to try for more years in another market, that’ll be his prerogative.  The Yankees shouldn’t have any reason to fear fan backlash, provided that sensible people think objectively about what this contract offer truly represents.

In any case, good luck to Jeter if he thinks he can get more than three years from a team outside of the 10451 zip code.

*For the record, I hate any story that relies on “a source” but doesn’t provide more insight on the credibility of that source.  In an era where reporters seem to churn out fabricated stories in order to sell papers, the likelihood that this story is legit is somewhere in the “maybe” range in my book.

Comments on ESPN New York: Jeter, Yanks “At Odds”

1. K-V-C
      November 18th, 2010 | 10:13 am

I love this!! No fan backlash from me. (I wish Cashman had put his name on it!) Jeter has been rewarded for everything he has done in the past and now must earn what he is actually worth. The Yankees would survive Jeter playing elsewhere.

2. MJ Recanati
      November 18th, 2010 | 10:16 am

@ K-V-C:
      I agree completely. $15M per year is a very fair offer although I would understand why the Yanks might be inclined to preserve Jeter’s most recent salary level and still give him the $21M per season just so they don’t tick him off too much.

It’s in the Yanks’ best interests to make Jeter the most fair offer possible and then force him to reject it. It’s always better if the team is perceived as even-handed and the player is perceived as ungrateful or greedy.

For the record, I agree that the Yankees could easily survive without Jeter next year. The money not spent on Jeter could be used in other places to offset his loss.

3. G.I. Joey
      November 18th, 2010 | 10:40 am

I am 100% okay with him taking his “talents” to another city. The fans with the blinders on will eventually get over it.

4. MJ Recanati
      November 18th, 2010 | 10:49 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

The fans with the blinders on will eventually get over it.

I think that’s true. It would be a very toxic climate in NYC until the games started up again but, eventually, people would definitely get over it.

Bostonians got over Pedro, Damon and other leaving. Mets fans coped with moving on without Seaver, Hernandez, etc. Everyone has to go through it sometime.

5. November 18th, 2010 | 11:06 am

Have to disagree here some. When Bobby Murcer was traded, thousands of Yankees fans between the ages of 10 and 15 were crushed. And, I would have to think, if the Yankees let Jeter walk, that “the next generation” of Yankees fans – those currently between the ages of 10 and 15, will be very pissed as well.

And, the Yankees should note that. “We” – meaning the crowd over age 20 – are already hooked on the Yankees no matter what they do, etc. But, if you cut the legs out from the kids, then you’re taking a hit on the next wave. But, maybe the Yankees don’t care about that?

6. G.I. Joey
      November 18th, 2010 | 11:23 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Those kids will get over it when they see that Jay-Z is still rocking his Yankees fitted.

7. MJ Recanati
      November 18th, 2010 | 12:31 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Murcer was traded in 1974 so those fans between the ages of 10-15 were born between 1959-1964. Judging from video I’ve seen of the 1976-1978 and 1981 postseasons, I’d say those kids got over it and showed up as teenagers/young adults just a few seasons later.

And, clearly, based on attendance figures from 1996-present, all those disappointed youngsters have been bringing in their own families in droves.

8. MJ Recanati
      November 18th, 2010 | 1:13 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Also, something else I just thought of. Those kids that were crushed when Murcer left in ’74 didn’t know about free agency. The 10-15 year olds, or even those older or younger than them, have had 30+ years to get used to free agency.

I’m not sure anyone gets as upset about players moving around these days as they might’ve back in Murcer’s time.

That’s not to say that people may not be upset if Jeter leaves. And that’s not to say that some might be turned off by the Yankees. But I think by and large most people realize that these things happen nowadays.

9. Corey Italiano
      November 18th, 2010 | 1:41 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

Sad, but true.

10. November 18th, 2010 | 4:19 pm

Fans are fickle. Remember how there was supposedly going to be all the outrage when Torre walked out the door, and Mattingly didn’t get to replace him?

I was upset when The Boss let Reggie Jackson go after ’81. I got over it.

11. MJ Recanati
      November 18th, 2010 | 4:23 pm

@ lisaswan:
      Exactly.

Sure, if Jeter walks, we’ll spend a whole year reading stories about what Jeter might’ve been able to do in a particular game (as we spent all year hearing about Matsui and Damon) but, eventually, people will just move on.

I’d like for Jeter to return beacuse the Yanks don’t have a natural replacement for him. I think 3Y/$21M is an extremely generous offer. If he wants to take it, I’d be happy for him. If he wants to play hardball, I’ll thank him for his services on Derek Jeter Day at Yankee Stadium, to be held on June 26th of the year he finally retires.

12. #15
      November 18th, 2010 | 4:35 pm

3 and 63? If it’s true….

1) Jeter would be a fool to not take it and 2) Jeter is no fool. That’s roughly a 1/4 billion in salary in 13 years, and an extra, what 40-50 million in endorsements (minimum) over that time in large part because he succeded while in NY. Ford, Gatorade, Nike, Gilette, the holy grail of extra income. Unless he has a burning desire to go Hollywood at this point (and the Dodgers and Angels would never bring that kind of dough), this deal will get done. And, the Yankee fans should be satisfied that the team respected their hero…

13. redbug
      November 18th, 2010 | 5:37 pm

Joel Sherman says an offer hasn’t even been made yet. Notice no one’s name is attached to anything said

14. Scout
      November 18th, 2010 | 8:39 pm

Three years at $21 million/year is lunacy, not good faith. It necessarily impinges on roster flexibility and the team’s ability to meet other needs within the salary constraints management has established. For all the cheap talk about how the organization has turned over a new leaf and expects now to pay for performance and not the past, the report (if true) suggests that the people above Cashman lack the guts to follow through. Jeter should be offered a salary slightly above his value and a two-year deal, period. As I’ve said before, if he walks and the Yankees win, the fans will get over him in a New York minute.

15. November 18th, 2010 | 11:36 pm

At first glance I thought the story read 21 million for three years, I had originally pegged the Jeter settlement price at between 30 and 35 million for three so this seemed very reasonable. When I examined the story more closely and realized it said 21 million a year for three years I did a double take. The value of Jeter the icon is open to speculation, I might suggest that if the team were to open 15-5 and looked like they were on a mission like in 98, and Jeter had decided to sign somewhere else, I frankly don’t think he’d be missed at all. Fans like their team to win. And fans, are not going to miss a player past his prime who turns down 30 to 35 million for three years. That is a fair offer, anything above 35 million is ridiculous. I can’t believe the Yankee braintrust would be crazy enough to offer anything more.

What do you do with Jeter on a three year deal if he drops to 8 homers, 60 runs batted in and a .330 OBP and his range declines. You couldn’t keep him at short, you can’t DH him, 3rd and first are out and he’s not productive enough for the outfield. If this thing gets out of hand, I’m sorry, the Yankees have to walk away from the table.