• This Year’s PSA

Posted by on November 19th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Yes, it’s that time of the year again – where I put myself out there for everyone to see.

Since my birthday is coming up, I decided to go for my annual body composition test.  Below are the results compared to the tests from the last two years.

Age Weight Delta Yr Prior Body Fat % Dry Lean
    Mass %
    Intracellular Water % Extracellular Water %
    46 NA 12.9% 22.9% 39.3% 24.8%
    47 4.8 13.3% 23.0% 39.5% 24.1%
    48 1.5 15.3% 22.5% 38.7% 23.6%

Why am I sharing this? Well, four and a half years ago, I decided it was time to take a hard look at, and address, my physical condition. And, this has been a focus for me ever since.

Looking at the numbers above, I’m not concerned about my weight gain between 2008 and 2009. I was underweight back in 2008 and the level for 2009/2010 is a more reasonable mark. And, yes, I’ve put on a few pounds of fat in the past year. But, I can work on that – and, it’s not terrible to be 48-years old and have 15% body fat. So, I’m not overly concerned about it.

Bottom line, if I can go from where I was in June 2006 to a much healthier state – and then maintain that condition for four years, anyone can do it. The trick? Make good food choices, use portion control, and exercise – in that order. And, if you can’t move around that much, just eat healthy and wisely. It works.

The holiday feasting season starts next week. And, by some reports, the average weight gain during this time is two to six pounds – although I’ve also heard some claim it to be as high as ten pounds.

Enjoy your holidays – but, the best gift you can give during this time is the one you give yourself…by aiming to maintain and/or improve your health during this time (as we head into the new year).

Again, if this old man can do it, so can you.

Comments on This Year’s PSA

1. November 19th, 2010 | 12:36 pm

Congrats. I think I’ve said it before, but I wish you would write a book on this, Steve. I think there’s an untapped market there, especially since most weight loss guides are aimed at women.

November 19th, 2010 | 1:12 pm

Keep up the good work, Steve! I had my own scare last month, and I’ve changed my eating habits a bit.

3. Scout
      November 19th, 2010 | 1:47 pm

Looking at these numbers, Steve, there’s no way we are giving you a six-year deal at your current salary. Two years, maximum. Iconic status doesn’t register in our world.

4. November 19th, 2010 | 4:59 pm

@ lisaswan:
      Thanks. It would be a joke to write a book on this. Eat lots of veggies and fruit. Basically eat lots of food with a lot of fiber and water in them. And, use portion control on everything else you eat. It’s what every weight control professional tells you to do, etc. I got no extra secrets that I can add to that.

@ Raf:
      Sorry to hear about the scare. Take care of youself.

@ Scout:
      LOL. Great, I’ll be a free agent at the end of the year and already the blog readers are leaving comments on what not to pay me! ;-)

5. June 10th, 2011 | 9:23 am

Had another test this AM and my Body Fat % is down to 13.6%. That’s closer to where I was in 2008 and 2009.

Why share this?

Again, if I can do this at age 46, 47, 48 and counting…
      anyone can do it.

If you want to improve your fitness, you just need to get moving and eat better. And, if you’re trying to do it, best of luck and keep at it!

June 10th, 2011 | 12:55 pm

Good work, Steve!

My scare was high cholesterol, with a threat of diabetes. No diabetes, just a porker :D.

I’ve dropped around 15 pounds since October. I’m wondering what to do, now that I’m not playing baseball or softball anymore.

7. June 10th, 2011 | 1:08 pm

When it comes to maintaining a healthy weight and body fat %, exercise is the queen…but, diet is the king.

It’s all about making good food choices and using portion control.

I’m reading an exercise book now by a respected trainer and he says that he never asks his clients what they are eating – because he doesn’t have to…he can tell by looking at them if they’re eating correctly or not.

This is so true…

June 10th, 2011 | 1:18 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I would think he’d take an interest just so that he can show alternatives to their diet.

At any rate, I doubt that people would be forthcoming that they have a cheeseburger and milkshake diet :D

9. June 10th, 2011 | 1:53 pm

Why not ask? People lie.

Nearly 90 percent of 1,234 U.S. adults surveyed said they were eating a “somewhat,” “very,” or “extremely” healthy diet. Only 11 percent described their diet as “not very” or “not at all” healthy.

Regardless of healthy efforts, about 57 percent of the respondents were overweight or obese according to their body mass indexes, calculated from their self-reported height and weight.