• Report: Jeter Wants 6 Years & $150 Million

Posted by on November 26th, 2010 · Comments (18)

Via Bill Madden

Throughout this process, Close and Jeter have never revealed what they’re actually looking for – which is why so many Yankee fans, opposing club officials and nationwide media types are asking: Why are the Yankees treating Jeter this way? But sources close to the Jeter/Close camp have said their starting point was six years, $150 million and that they aren’t budging on $25 million per year – which would effectively get the captain about even in annual average salary to Alex Rodriguez, the real benchmark from their standpoint in this negotiation.

I suspect this is why Yankee GM Brian Cashman lashed out the way he did the other day after Close told the Daily News’ Mike Lupica he was “baffled” by the Yankees’ hard-line stance with Jeter.

Cashman is clearly frustrated. The Yankees made no secret of where they were coming from in this negotiation – that it was a baseball negotiation, a business negotiation, and not a public relations and marketing negotiation. Just the same, they structured their offer to be significantly higher in both years and dollars than any 36-year-old shortstop, coming off a season in which he hit a career-low .270 and his OPS dropped 161 points to .710, also a career low, could expect in the open market. They did that because, as everyone knows, Jeter is not just any shortstop. He is an iconic Yankee shortstop, and, as such, the Yankees are prepared to pay him upwards of $2 million more than any middle infielder in baseball today for the next three years. Add the $45 million to the $200 million they’ve already paid him and, at nearly $250 million, Jeter will have been paid more than any other player in the history of baseball except A-Rod and (when he gets his next deal) Albert Pujols.

Geez, while he’s at it, could Jeter at least ask for world peace too?

Comments on Report: Jeter Wants 6 Years & $150 Million

1. redbug
      November 26th, 2010 | 9:14 am

According to reports – whether true or not – let’s assume it’s true the Yankees offered 3 yrs at $15 mill per yr. Also, assume Jeter asked for 6 yrs at $25 mill per yr.

Let’s see if they can reach a compromise of 3 yrs at $20 mill, w/ 3 option yrs at $21, $22, and $23 mill based on performance.

This negotiation has become so nasty because it’s being done via the press. In my opinion, the Yankees are thin-skinned. Putting aside who’s fault it’s been so public, if they’d just shut up and negotiate privately, I think a deal could be reached both sides will be happy w/ and will save face on both sides. At least I hope so.

2. OldYanksFan
      November 26th, 2010 | 9:21 am

You can not have options based performance, only ABs.
      Now let me get this straight. You would consider paying a FORTY YEAR OLD SHORTSTOP $21m a year??????????????????????

If I’m Cashman, and Jeter asks for anything near 6/$150m, I offer him 3/$50m and give him 3 days to decide.

Frankly, if Jeter asks for anything NEAR that, he has a servere emotional problem. I’m ready to see him walk.

Obviously, the Yankees, Team and Winning are not that important to Jeter. Comparing himself to ARod, when he is not near ARod’s class, is.

3. Jim TreshFan
      November 26th, 2010 | 9:23 am

Yesterday, after the turkey and trimmings were packed away, we all drew names out of a hat to see who we would buy Chistmas presents for. It’s sort of a family tradition. I drew my 9 year old niece’s name. She wants a stuffed kitten, video games, a new Wii (and what’s wrong with the old one?), fuzzy slippers, a DSI (???), $50 in cash, a good telescope, a tape measure, and something called a “Zip Lin.” I was bowled over. Not asking for too much, was she?

But all I can say now is…Thank God I didn’t get Derek Jeter!!!!

4. OldYanksFan
      November 26th, 2010 | 9:27 am

@ Jim TreshFan:
      WOW! Imagine what she will want when she is 13!

5. Jim TreshFan
      November 26th, 2010 | 11:08 am

OldYanksFan wrote:

@ Jim TreshFan:
      WOW! Imagine what she will want when she is 13!

Well, hopefully it won’t be a 6 year deal.

6. Corey Italiano
      November 26th, 2010 | 12:00 pm

@ Jim TreshFan:
      Just as a heads up, don’t get the DSI. (it’s a handheld video game system by Nintendo…think of it like the current generations game boy). The reason being is that there will be a 3D version of the same system coming out in March, and that’ll be the next thing to get(and rendering the DSI as a paper weight).

7. EHawk
      November 26th, 2010 | 12:12 pm

This report can’t be accurate. Those numbers are so far out there it would make Jeter seem so crazy that no one will side with him. I mean $25 million annually are you kidding me? No team in baseball will even come close to offering him that…his agent has to know that. If I was Jeter I might be looking for a new agent!

8. Jim TreshFan
      November 26th, 2010 | 12:56 pm

@ EHawk:
      mmmm….Might the story be a plant—by Brian Cashman?

9. Scout
      November 26th, 2010 | 1:21 pm

Remember that the Jeter camp was proposing its own initial offer, not one it expceted the Yankees to accept. No need to get bent out of shape over a negotiating stance.

Both sides are trying to court puplic opinion. With this latest revelation, the Yankees have clearly taken the lead in framing the discussion — they are far closer to Jeter’s actual value as a player (though still over it)than Jeter’s people are.

If the two sides reach an agreement in the end, it will be much closer to the Yankee offer. That’s what happens when Hank Steinbrenner is not allowed to negotiate with anyone other than the horses on the family farm.

10. November 26th, 2010 | 3:07 pm

@ Scout:

11. K-V-C
      November 26th, 2010 | 3:11 pm

If this offer is anywhere close to what Jeter is asking for…I’d laugh in his face and pull the 3yrs $45 million off the table and tell Jeter to go play somewhere else. I understand Jeter has an ego, but this is living in your own dream world.

12. Evan3457
      November 26th, 2010 | 4:30 pm

I’m gonna assume that the alleged demand from Jeter’s side is 99 44/100th% bullspit.

Because, if it’s not…

vaya con Dios, Derek; it was nice having you as shortstop for 15 seasons and 5 rings.

13. November 26th, 2010 | 4:44 pm

@ Evan3457:
      I think they are for real, or very close to. He thinks he’s A-Rod’s equal. Actually, strike that. He thinks he’s A-Rod’s superior, in all ways. Why wouldn’t he think he was worth A-Rod money?

14. Scout
      November 26th, 2010 | 5:20 pm

lisaswan wrote:

@ Scout:
      “Remember that the Jeter camp was proposing its own initial offer, not one it expected the Yankees to accept. No need to get bent out of shape over a negotiating stance.”I’m sorry, but those numbers are flat-out crazy. That’s more per-year than CC. Or Tex. Or Pujols. Or anybody in history not named Alex Rodriguez. tAnd even A-Rod’s deal is front-loaded, where he’ll “only” be making $20M a year in the last few seasons.Making a proposal that’s $105M apart from the Yankees’ opening move isn’t smart negotiating. It’s delusional for a 36-year-old shortstop with a 1.3 WAR in 2010 to make. It makes Jeter look like an out of touch diva.

Please note where I ended up in my comment — Jeter will settle for something very close to the Yankees’ original offer. When I said don’t read too much into his request, my point was simply that I put little stock in what someone asks for as an opening bid.

Jeter’s side began with a gambit that the Yankees would be forced by the media and the public to treat Jeter, the “true Yankee”, as well as A-Rod was in his ridiculous deal. No harm in trying that; if it had worked, Jeter would be in the driver’s seat. But apart from a few anti-Yankee types in the media and the Jeter shills, no one has bought into it. The Yankees have gotten in front of the PR curve and done a much better job of winning the framing battle.

Today, the Jeter camp has been busy denying the truth of the story. But Close et al. are plainly on the defensive, because they have not revealed what their actual opening request was. So the story was probably close to the mark, although possibly there were easy-to-reach performance incentives or player-friendly options built in.

If I were the Yankees, I would sit still for a while on Jeter. I would conduct my other business. The offer would stand until, say, the end of the year. If Jeter has not moved to accept something close to the offer (I would NEVER budge from three years), I would begin to seek another shortstop on the trade market. Word would quickly circulate, adding to the pressure on Jeter’s side.

15. Zach
      November 26th, 2010 | 5:48 pm

This story is inaccurate; Jeter never asked for 6yrs, $150 million.

“The recently rumored terms of our contract proposal are simply inaccurate,” agent Casey Close said in an e-mail to ESPN.com.”

16. November 26th, 2010 | 5:57 pm

@ Scout: I hear what you’re saying, but in most cases, when people ask for 3-4 times what they’re worth, they get blown off as a clown. If you try to sell a 250K house for a million, you won’t get a nibble, no matter how many intangibles you can say the house has. If you go for a job at McDonald’s and demand $30 an hour, same thing.

The Yankees aren’t going to wish Jeter good luck in his future endeavors just yet, but I think his image will take a big hit over this. It’s clear he believes his own hype, and then some. For all the talk over A-Rod being jealous of him, it’s pretty clear it’s also the other way around, too.

17. November 26th, 2010 | 6:33 pm

@ Zach:
      So, if asked for 6 years, 24.9 million, his agent could still say it’s inaccurate? Heck, it could have been more they asked for!

18. buyfbfans
      October 28th, 2011 | 5:09 am

Wanting is not getting, from the Yankees or the Giants or whomever. The only way what Jeter wants is relevant is if he pulls a Hakeem Olajuwon. If he’s willing to take a significantly-lower offer and destroy his brand over ego, let him go. The Yankees will survive. Jeter will fade into the history books much quicker than he would have otherwise.