• Mariano Rivera To Sign With Yankees Today

Posted by on December 3rd, 2010 · Comments (17)

Two years at $30 million.

Not a bad piece of change for a guy who only throws 60 innings a season.

Comments on Mariano Rivera To Sign With Yankees Today

1. jrk
      December 3rd, 2010 | 9:23 am

I hold these truths to be self evident, that not all innings are not created equal.

2. jrk
      December 3rd, 2010 | 9:24 am

*that all innings are not created equal.

3. MJ Recanati
      December 3rd, 2010 | 10:05 am

Worth every penny.

4. Jim TreshFan
      December 3rd, 2010 | 10:17 am

The deal ensures that Rivera will end his career as a Yankee.9 (was there ever any doubt?). Two years will give him ample opportunity—barring serious injury—to break Trevor Hoffman’s all-time Saves record. It will also mean that Rivera will have pitched more seasons in pinstripes (18) than anyone. Quite an accomplishment.

5. G.I. Joey
      December 3rd, 2010 | 10:21 am

If that other offer was indeed legit, Mo will take less years and less money to remain in pinstripes. I guess he doesn’t feel “disrespected” by the Yankees and it’s more important to him to be a part of this franchise.

6. MJ Recanati
      December 3rd, 2010 | 10:29 am

Jim TreshFan wrote:

Hoffman = 601
      Rivera = 559

Difference of 42. Coincidence? :-D

In any case, based on 2010, it seemed like Hoffman was just about cooked. I’m sure if he still wants to pitch he’ll get an offer to show up in someone’s camp but I do agree that as long as Rivera is healthy he’s in good position to really chew into Hoffman’s lead.

7. #15
      December 3rd, 2010 | 10:56 am

The all-time save leader stat has stature and I hope Mo gets there, but real fans know that the important stat as far as relievers go reads like this…… Saves in important high pressure games (call it -SIIHPG Share- if it makes you feel better): Hoffman = ~ 0. Riveria = ~ 100. It is not even close. Now, Hoffman has been very good for a long time, manned up for his team over the years, and his performance warrants recognition and appreciation by all baseball fans. All good. But he couldn’t carry Mo’s shoes. No one that’s played the position so far can. T-Hoff pitched in… wait for it… 12 post season games with an ERA of 3.46 and very few regular season games that really mattered in a playoff drive.

8. Jim TreshFan
      December 3rd, 2010 | 11:44 am

The last I heard—and this was nearly a month ago—was that Hoffman was waiting on an offer from the Arizona Diamondbacks to be their closer and that he would sign if the price was right. Now Hoffman does have a relationship with GM Kevin Towers from their days in San Diego, but I don’t know if the D’Backs really will take a chance here. I mean Hoffman would only be interested if the offer was to be a closer, and only then if he was offered big bucks. In any event I haven’t heard much more on the situation since early November. Has anyone else?

9. MJ Recanati
      December 3rd, 2010 | 12:21 pm

@ Jim TreshFan:
      I hadn’t even heard about that so, nope, haven’t heard anything about Hoffman or any contract offers.

I imagine he’ll hook up with someone but I can’t see it being for big bucks or with a guarantee that he’ll get the closer’s job. I have to figure that eventually Hoffman will get slightly more realistic about the market out there and that he’ll eventually either take a low-money one-year offer or will accept a non-roster camp invite and try to pitch his way onto a team.

He was pretty terrible in 2010 so I can’t see why he’d think teams would be guaranteeing him big bucks or the 9th inning job just because he has 600 saves…

10. GDH
      December 3rd, 2010 | 12:57 pm

General consensus is that Hoffman might have something left, and a team or two might be willing to take a flyer on him, but not as their closer and not for big bucks. More of a mentoring role. The D-bags were mentioned IIRC.

11. Corey Italiano
      December 3rd, 2010 | 1:04 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

In any case, based on 2010, it seemed like Hoffman was just about cooked.

His 2010 second half numbers aren’t that bad.

12. Corey Italiano
      December 3rd, 2010 | 1:05 pm

#15 wrote:

The all-time save leader stat has stature and I hope Mo gets there

To some…heard Mitch Williams talking about how Hoffman is the best closer of all time because of this mark the other day. Made me want to vomit.

13. redbug
      December 3rd, 2010 | 4:46 pm

@ G.I. Joey:

Mo’s made $15 mill the last 3 yrs. If this report is correct, he’ll make the same per yr.

14. MJ Recanati
      December 3rd, 2010 | 5:24 pm

redbug wrote:

Yep, exactly. In a weird sort of way, that’s a sort of hometown discount.

15. redbug
      December 3rd, 2010 | 5:38 pm

@ MJ Recanati:

I agree.

Funny thing is…I figured his last contract would be his last. He squeezed a 3rd yr out of the Yanks when they refused to negotiate w/ him before or during the season before he became a free agent. I bet he figured it’d be his last too.

Every year, I assume Mo can’t possibly be as good as he’s been given his age. When they won the WS last yr, he said he wanted to play 5 more yrs. I laughed.

Now, I figure, who knows? Maybe this won’t be his last contract!

However the rest of his remarkable career goes, I count myself fortunate to have been a Yankee fan all these yrs and had the incredible honor, luxury to have watched most of the games this man has closed.

16. 77yankees
      December 3rd, 2010 | 8:34 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

#15 wrote:
      The all-time save leader stat has stature and I hope Mo gets there

The next big save Hoffman converts will be his first. When you think of Trevor Hoffman, you think of Brosius taking him deep in Game 3 in 1998, Michael Young owning him in the All Star Game in Pittsburgh, and the one game playoff disaster in Colorado in 2007.

Hoffman could rack up 1,000 regular season saves, and Mo will still be recognized as the greatest closer of all-time when it’s said & done.

17. Corey Italiano
      December 4th, 2010 | 9:12 am

@ 77yankees:
      Obviously I’m with you on this. But for every one of us, there’s a Mitch Williams out there.