• George Steinbrenner Not Elected To Baseball Hall Of Fame

Posted by on December 6th, 2010 · Comments (11)

While waiting to hear the news announced live on the MLB Network, I saw this on the HOF site, posted already.

Amazing, it was announced on the MLB Network at least 9 minutes after the news was on the HOF site.

Gotta say, I am bummed that Big Stein didn’t get the call this year.  Perhaps they’ll let the Boss in 2013?

Comments on George Steinbrenner Not Elected To Baseball Hall Of Fame

1. Jim TreshFan
      December 6th, 2010 | 10:17 am

And just prior to announcing the selection they mentioned that the results were already posted on the website. Oh well.

Gillick was the easy pick here. No controversy involved. The committee wasn’t sticking their necks out as they would have been with picking The Boss or Marvin Miller or Billy Martin. They played it safe.

December 6th, 2010 | 10:33 am

@ Jim TreshFan:
      Still, I’m a bit surprised that Steinbrenner did as poorly as he did. Marvin Miller came pretty close, with 11 votes.

3. Jim TreshFan
      December 6th, 2010 | 10:48 am

@ Raf:
      You could probably divide the voters into three groups concerning Steinbrenner:

Those who believe he belongs in the Hall.

Those who believe he doesn’t belong.

Those who believe he does belong but are reluctant to say so in a public forum.

4. MJ Recanati
      December 6th, 2010 | 11:21 am

I won’t lie, I’m happy about this result. If he is to make it in — and I do agree that there’s a good arguent in favor of his enshrinement — then at least let his candidacy rest a bit before election. He just died a few months ago. Let’s not make sentimental decisions.

It’s a complete sham that Marvin Miller isn’t in.

5. December 6th, 2010 | 11:28 am

Via the HOF:

~~~The Results of the Expansion Era Ballot (12 votes needed for election): Pat Gillick (13 votes, 81.25%); Marvin Miller (11 votes, 68.75%); Dave Concepcion (8 votes, 50%); Ted Simmons, Vida Blue, Steve Garvey, Ron Guidry, Tommy John, Billy Martin, Al Oliver, Rusty Staub and George Steinbrenner each received less than eight votes.~~~

I would like to know what less than 8 means. Does it mean Stein got 7 votes, or, zero votes?

December 6th, 2010 | 11:36 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Let’s not make sentimental decisions.

I think that factored into the vote count, but I’m still surprised that he did as poorly as he did.

7. December 6th, 2010 | 12:11 pm

First you have to admit there is a problem. There is something fundamentally wrong with a process that produces results like this. This is not good work.

Forget George for a minute, how can someone knowledgeable of baseball history not vote Marvin Miller into the BAseball Hall Of Fame. Miller’s impact on the game for the years he led the players union can not be overstated. Bowie Kuhn is in the Hall Of Fame, but not Marvin Miller!

The Baseball Hall Of Fame should have a panel of historians that meets maybe once every 5 years and can recommend a simple up or down vote on individuals who obviously should be in the Hall of Fame. Steinbrenner is one, Carlie Finley, and Marvin Miller. Their participation could be limited to nonplaying personnel.

8. MJ Recanati
      December 6th, 2010 | 12:18 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

That would make too much sense and I think if there’s one thing we’ve learned, the BBWAA, the Veterans Committee and the Hall of Fame itself don’t know as much about the sport as they think they do.

9. Evan3457
      December 6th, 2010 | 5:39 pm

I still don’t care one way or the other on Miller.

I don’t care if he makes the National Baseball Hall of Fame or not.

If the players want to vote him in to the MLBPA Hall of Fame, I’m good with that.

I do agree that Bowie Kuhn’s contributions to MLB are so immeasurable that no one will ever bother to measure it. Rather than vote Miller in, can we kick Kuhn out?

10. redbug
      December 6th, 2010 | 6:11 pm

@ MJ Recanati:

I agree..It is a sham that Miller wasn’t voted in. It’s a shame too. He’s in his 90′s, so he probably won’t live to see it, if it ever happens. I assume it’s the owners blocking his entry.

George doesn’t belong in the HOF. He was suspended twice from the game. Both times for good reason.

11. Evan3457
      December 7th, 2010 | 1:40 am

redbug wrote:

@ MJ Recanati:

I don’t strongly support Steinbrenner’s candidacy, but if Tom Yawkey’s in there, they can hold their nose and let Steinbrenner in. Or not. I don’t have any strong feeling either way.