• Pedro Feliciano Signs With Yankees

Posted by on December 17th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Via Joel Sherman -

Pedro Feliciano is moving across town, agreeing in principle to a deal with the Yankees, according to a source.

The two-year, $8 million contract is pending a physical, which is not a formality in the Yankees’ view because of the heavy workload the 34-year-old has carried with the Mets since 2006. The contract also has a club option for a third year.

Feliciano was not scheduled to undergo a physical Friday, which could push the announcement of the deal into next week.

I don’t know much about Feliciano – since I try to avoid watching Mets games. But, if he’s who I think he is, then I seem to recall him being a bit cocky/showboaty. Then again, you can say the same thing about Joba.

But, Matt Cerrone should know Feliciano – so, I was interested in what he posted on this deal. Here it is:

Well, good for Perpetual Pedro, since this is the deal he had been seeking all along, and is more or less why the Mets only offered arbitration and did not re-sign him.

I wrote this in late November, and still feel the same way today:

He’s letting more runners on base, he’s pitched a ton of innings over the last few seasons, he’s walking more and striking out less, and he showed he’s not very effective against right-handed batters last season, at least to the extent that he should be used as anything more than a situational lefty. So, is it wise to sign a 35-year-old situational lefty, with a lot of mileage on his arm, to a two-year, $8 million deal? I don’t know that it is… the Mets might be better suited going out to the open market to find a replacement.

Because he is a Type-B free agent, the Mets will receive a compensatory draft pick between the first and second round on next year’s draft, once he signs a new deal.

Seeing this made me go check the numbers. And, I noticed that in three of the last four years his BB/9 rate is pretty high. David Robertson-like. Next I looked at his splits and saw that RH-batters have been very successful against him the last two years.

So, bascially, what we have here is a LOOGY with so-so command. It’s sorta/kinda like when the Yankees had Mike Myers in 2006. It’s not terrible – as long as the Yankees use him correctly and he does what he’s supposed to do.

Comments on Pedro Feliciano Signs With Yankees

1. MJ Recanati
      December 17th, 2010 | 5:45 pm

Agreed. Feliciano is a so-so reliever that should only be used vs. LHB. On the good side, he’s proven to be durable. On the bad side, relievers on the whole are totally unpredictable so it’s completely possible that Cashman bought a whole lot of nothing.

As to the point about Girardi deploying him properly and never letting him face a RHB…yeah, not going to happen. If there’s one thing Girardi isn’t good at, it’s figuring out the platoon advantage stuff when it comes to his bullpen.

2. MJ Recanati
      December 17th, 2010 | 5:48 pm

As a follow-up point, despite the fact that I’d much rather have spent the dough on Bobby Jenks, I am definitely not happy that Cashman hasn’t internalized his bullpen mistakes. Farnsworth, Marte and now Feliciano. Spending $4M/season on these guys doesn’t really work out too often so it’s better to not do it and to just build the bullpen from within.

3. Evan3457
      December 17th, 2010 | 7:46 pm

That’s a very good analysis of the signing, Steve.

I don’t his his command issues are that bad against lefties, but I could be wrong about that.

4. December 17th, 2010 | 10:53 pm

@ Evan3457:
      LH-batters have a career .282 OBA against him, so, I believe you are correct.

5. Corey Italiano
      December 17th, 2010 | 11:59 pm

Look at this we all agree on something…Christmas miracles CAN happen! :P

6. December 18th, 2010 | 8:43 am

So here’s a follow-up question (well, two) for Steve, MJ, Evan and the rest of you:

What does the bullpen look like now? Do you think the Yankees sign another reliever?

7. MJ Recanati
      December 18th, 2010 | 9:15 am

Brent wrote:

What does the bullpen look like now?

Well, right now, it’s Rivera, Robertson, Chamberlain, Logan, Feliciano and Mitre. I assume they want at least seven in the pen so there’s room for one more (to take either the Kerry Wood role or the Al Aceves role).

When I look at this bullpen, I don’t like it too much. As much as Kerry Wood’s performance was unsustainable, I still don’t trust Robertson or Chamberlain as both greatly underwhelmed last year.

Brent wrote:

Do you think the Yankees sign another reliever?

Yes. Although I’m hoping it’s not an ex-closer like Brian Fuentes or Rafael Soriano. The money it would take to sign one of them would be a poor allocation of resources and I’m sure neither would sign for less than a two year deal.

Now, if not them, who? I don’t know, to be honest. But I’d rather see the Yanks turn Ivan Nova into a reliever and have them sign a veteran innings-eater for the rotation. Ivan Nova can’t go 200 IP this year anyway and I think he’d be better suited in shorter stints.

December 18th, 2010 | 12:53 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

If Nova’s bringing up the back end of the rotation, he won’t see 200 innings.

9. Evan3457
      December 18th, 2010 | 1:02 pm

I would pay good money to sign Jon Rauch.

He’s durable, and while he’s better against righties, he’s not horrendous vs. lefties, has done the set-up job well for a contender, can throw more than one inning if you need it sometimes, and can close in a pinch.