• A-Rod’s Remarkable 2009 Post-Season

    Posted by on December 18th, 2010 · Comments (24)

    I’ve written in the past about the singular greatness of Alex Rodriguez’ 2009 post-season.

    And, if my narrative on that was not enough. How about some stats that support just how great it was? Click here to see how A-Rod was a machine during that run. And, click here to see how clutch he was during that post-season.

    Bottom line, there is an extremely strong case to be made that A-Rod’s 2009 post-season was one of the best overall offensive performances by a single player on a team who won a World Championship in the last 30 years of baseball history – if not the best “such season” ever.

    Sure, we all know about Barry Bonds’ 2002 post-season - but, the Giants didn’t win it all that year.  And, David Ortiz was super for the Red Sox post-season of 2004.  But, he didn’t do it day-in and day-out, consistently, for Boston in that run like Rodriquez did for the Yankees in ’09.  Another player to consider would be Troy Glaus in 2002.   He was a monster who carried the Angels that post-season to their ring - but,  he was not quite at the level of A-Rod in ’09.  (It is interesting that Bonds, Ortiz, Glaus and A-Rod are in the team picture here – since they all have been linked to PED-usage in the past.)

    Seeing all this, what would you say?  Was Alex Rodriguez’ 2009 the best overall post-season by a player on a World Series winner ever?  If not, how about over the last 30 years?  And, if not, why?

    Comments on A-Rod’s Remarkable 2009 Post-Season

    1. Corey Italiano
      December 18th, 2010 | 11:45 am

      I see what’s happening here.

    2. Evan3457
      December 18th, 2010 | 12:56 pm

      It was not the greatest statistical performance of the post-season in the last 30 years. He did have as many clutch hits as anyone did in a single post-season, maybe more. He had as many RBI’s. He affected more games.

      If hitting in the clutch, having more RBI’s, and affecting more games due to clutch hitting, has been linked to PED use, I’ve never seen it.

      ————————————————————
      There’s nothing “singular” about it. He knocked in the most runs because he was red hot, and because he was batting 4th for a team with excellent table setters at #1 and #2, and, dig this, because his #3 hitter in front of him had a terrible post-season, failing with numerous chances with RISP, thereby leaving more runners on base to drive in.

      Oh, and the fact he didn’t face a crusher of a pitching staff, like this year’s Giants or Phillies, also helped.

    3. Evan3457
      December 18th, 2010 | 12:57 pm

      Well, OK, knocking in 19 runs is singular, I guess.

    4. JeremyM
      December 18th, 2010 | 3:12 pm

      A-Rod went on a streak, which he has shown that he is more then capable of doing over the course of his career. He missed very few fat pitches and the results speak for themselves. And it seems to me that he would have to beyond idiotic to “enhance” himself after what he went through that very same spring, but people have done worse…..

    5. Raf
      December 18th, 2010 | 3:57 pm

      @ JeremyM:
      Besides, who’s to say that he wasn’t “enhanced” during the postseasons of 2004-08?

    6. Evan3457
      December 18th, 2010 | 9:49 pm

      Raf wrote:

      @ JeremyM:
      Besides, who’s to say that he wasn’t “enhanced” during the postseasons of 2004-08?

      Too true.

    7. December 19th, 2010 | 5:57 am

      A-Rod hit .250 in the World Series, but he drove in six runs. Did the PEDs only work to make him get clutch hits?

    8. December 19th, 2010 | 9:36 am

      lisaswan wrote:

      A-Rod hit .250 in the World Series, but he drove in six runs. Did the PEDs only work to make him get clutch hits?

      Check the stats. A-Rod’s OBA in the ’09 WS was .423
      Basicaly, the Phillies saw him destroy the Twins and Angels and elected not to pitch to him – that’s why he had so many BB and HBP. And, in the few times he got to swing the bat, he drove in runs – 6 RBI in just 20 WS AB.

    9. December 19th, 2010 | 9:37 am

      Raf wrote:

      Besides, who’s to say that he wasn’t “enhanced” during the postseasons of 2004-08?

      He didn’t have his HGH connection (Dr. G from Canada) prior to his hip surgery before the ’09 season.

    10. December 19th, 2010 | 9:42 am

      Evan3457 wrote:

      If hitting in the clutch, having more RBI’s, and affecting more games due to clutch hitting, has been linked to PED use, I’ve never seen it.

      Hitting in the clutch is just a subset of hitting, period. And, if you’re hitting like a MF, in general, you’ll most likely do well in clutch situations as well – as a trickle down thing, or, because pitchers give you more pitches to hit, at times, with men on base because they cannot afford to walk you.

      And, anyone who has played the game can tell you that more strength, quicker reflexes and improved eye-sight will make you a better hitter – assuming you can hit in the first place. And, PEDs give you these things – that’s why they are called “PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drugs.”

    11. MJ Recanati
      December 19th, 2010 | 9:50 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      He didn’t have his HGH connection (Dr. G from Canada) prior to his hip surgery before the ’09 season.

      But if he was on PED’s before 2009, it wouldn’t matter if he got them from Galea in Canada or his cousin in the DR. You’re making the implied argument that only Galea’s HGH could help A-Rod.

      As I’ve argued countless times, if the incentives to use PED’s exist, a player wouldn’t only use some of the time, he’d use all of the time. So, if we think A-Rod was on PED’s during the 2009 playoffs then there’s no reason to think that he wasn’t on them during the 2009 season, or the 2004-2008 seasons, or the 2004-2008 playoffs. It’s flatly illogical to assume that a player will not use PED’s during previous playoff seasons.

    12. MJ Recanati
      December 19th, 2010 | 9:53 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      And, PEDs give you these things – that’s why they are called “PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drugs.”

      There is absolutely no evidence that an HGH regimen alone can provide any performance-enhancing effects for baseball players. Thus, you’re arguing that A-Rod, to be enhanced for the 2009 playoffs, was actually taking HGH in conjunction with other substances. That may be. But considering A-Rod had admitted he had taken PED’s in the past, I’ll believe that he was tested during the playoffs.

      In any case, this entire thread was one giant put-on for you to argue your hearsay nonsense. It’s your opinion and you have a right to it. But, in absence of fact or evidence, and given your admitted lack of objectivity with this particular individual, I’m going to throw a giant asterisk on your bullshit as much as you’ve thrown on A-Rod’s great 2009 playoff.

    13. Evan3457
      December 19th, 2010 | 10:45 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      If hitting in the clutch, having more RBI’s, and affecting more games due to clutch hitting, has been linked to PED use, I’ve never seen it.
      Hitting in the clutch is just a subset of hitting, period. And, if you’re hitting like a MF, in general, you’ll most likely do well in clutch situations as well – as a trickle down thing, or, because pitchers give you more pitches to hit, at times, with men on base because they cannot afford to walk you.
      And, anyone who has played the game can tell you that more strength, quicker reflexes and improved eye-sight will make you a better hitter – assuming you can hit in the first place. And, PEDs give you these things – that’s why they are called “PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drugs.”

      None of which answers my objection.

    14. December 19th, 2010 | 12:49 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      There is absolutely no evidence that an HGH regimen alone can provide any performance-enhancing effects for baseball players.

      See: Bonds, Barry.

      And, sure, it could be a combo of HGH and something else. Forget the tests. The guys who make these things are always ten steps ahead of the testers.

    15. December 19th, 2010 | 12:54 pm

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      A-Rod was one RBI away from tying for the league in RBIs this year, despite missing 25 games. Does that mean he was on a little something-something this season, too?

    16. December 19th, 2010 | 2:15 pm

      @ lisaswan:
      No, because his other stats sucked.

    17. December 19th, 2010 | 2:17 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      So, if we think A-Rod was on PED’s during the 2009 playoffs then there’s no reason to think that he wasn’t on them during the 2009 season, or the 2004-2008 seasons, or the 2004-2008 playoffs. It’s flatly illogical to assume that a player will not use PED’s during previous playoff seasons.

      He didn’t know Dr. G before 2009. And, perhaps all the sucking that he did in the post-seasons of 2004-2007 lead him to make this move – thinking that another sucky post-season would be the final nail in the coffin.

    18. December 19th, 2010 | 2:20 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      I’ve argued countless times, if the incentives to use PED’s exist, a player wouldn’t only use some of the time, he’d use all of the time.

      That’s not the way PEDs work. You cannot be on the all the time. You cycle on and off them, timed to when you want to peak/hit your goal. Think of all the pro bodybuilders who time their cycle so that they peak at the time of Mr. Olympia. It’s the same thing. A-Rod could have timed it to peak in the post-season and not even had any peak cycles during the season.

    19. December 19th, 2010 | 2:24 pm

      Last thing I’ll say on this now.

      Bottom line, what A-Rod did in the 2009 post-season was inhuman/not natural. It was like man against boys. He was Roy Hobbs. Whatever he wanted/needed to do with the bat, he did it.

      No one had a post-season like that – sans Barry Bonds in 2002, and we know that Bonds was doped.

      Now, maybe this was just all luck – getting the Twins and Angels, two teams that A-Rod has success against in the past? Maybe? Heck, maybe it was the magic of Kate Hudson!

      Me? It just seems to unnatural. And, when you throw in the connection to Dr. G, and the fact that A-Rod used in the past, there’s just too many dots out there not to connect them.

      Maybe I’m wrong? It would not be the first time. Heck, it would not be the 100th time. But, let’s just say, if the truth comes out someday that A-Rod was laced with HGH during the 2009 post-season, I would not be shocked – not in the least bit, at all.

    20. December 19th, 2010 | 4:05 pm

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      “Maybe I’m wrong? It would not be the first time. Heck, it would not be the 100th time. But, let’s just say, if the truth comes out someday that A-Rod was laced with HGH during the 2009 post-season, I would not be shocked – not in the least bit, at all.”

      I think, more to the point, you’re hoping and praying this comes out. And you’d be thrilled to have him revealed as such. It was A-Rod’s greatest moment as a Yankee, and you seem to want it all to be A-Fraud.

    21. Raf
      December 19th, 2010 | 4:16 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      No one had a post-season like that – sans Barry Bonds in 2002, and we know that Bonds was doped.

      Bonds and Rodriguez had the most games, but other players have exceeded their production.

    22. December 19th, 2010 | 4:36 pm

      Why isn’t Beltran in this discussion? It’s not his fault the Astros didn’t make it to the World Series. His 2004 postseason OPS was 2.072!

      In fact, if you judge by OPS, A-Rod’s otherworldly 2009 season barely makes the top 10. Same with slugging percentage.

      As for batting average, A-Rod is No. 28 on this list. Hideki Matsui is close to the top, since he hit .579 in 2009. Was he on something? How about Pujols in 2004?

      If you judge by RBIs, Sandy Alomar drove in more runs in 1997 than A-Rod did in 2009. And the Indians didn’t win the World Series.

      http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/9503

    23. MJ Recanati
      December 19th, 2010 | 6:52 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      That’s not the way PEDs work. You cannot be on the all the time. You cycle on and off them, timed to when you want to peak/hit your goal. Think of all the pro bodybuilders who time their cycle so that they peak at the time of Mr. Olympia. It’s the same thing. A-Rod could have timed it to peak in the post-season and not even had any peak cycles during the season.

      You’re being too literal with my words. I didn’t mean A-Rod would’ve been on PED’s 24/7/365, I meant he’d have been on them from 2004-2009 regular season in addition to the 2009 playoffs.

      There’s no reason or incentive for him to just start PED’s for the 2009 playoffs and then not using them before or after. Heck, if your argument had any shred of logic, he’d have been using for all of the 2010 regular season, after seeing what they could do for him in 2009.

    24. MJ Recanati
      December 19th, 2010 | 6:54 pm

      lisaswan wrote:

      I think, more to the point, you’re hoping and praying this comes out. And you’d be thrilled to have him revealed as such. It was A-Rod’s greatest moment as a Yankee, and you seem to want it all to be A-Fraud.

      Yep, but that’s how it works around here. It’s ultimately very sad.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.