• Giant Pain

Posted by on December 19th, 2010 · Comments (9)

I’ve mentioned this several times in the past. From 1978 to 1992, I was really into the NFL thing – and a pretty huge Giants fan. I watched the games every week and sweated out the big ones. But, after that time, I basically stopped watching pro-football. Since then, I’ve gone to a couple of Jets’ games, with a friend who has season tickets. And, I still watch the Superbowl each year – but, that’s just about the one and only football game that I watch on TV each season. I’ve just become disenchanted with the NFL.

Yet, I couldn’t help but notice what the Giants did today. Right up there with “The Fumble” and Flipper Anderson.

Wow.

I can’t even think of how to put this in a Yankees perspective. Obviously, it’s not as bad as the 2004 ALCS. But, it’s pretty bad. My condolences to the Big Blue fans out there. Man, the last two Decembers have not been kind in Giantsville.

Comments on Giant Pain

1. Jim TreshFan
      December 20th, 2010 | 8:50 am

Geez…first the Phillies pull off an eleventh hour deal to hook Cliff Lee right off the Yankees reel…and now THIS!

I hate Philadelphia.

2. MJ Recanati
      December 20th, 2010 | 9:10 am

Jim TreshFan wrote:

I hate Philadelphia.

I don’t hate the Phillies. But I absolutely hate the Eagles. Just once I wish Antrell Rolle would talk less and clean DeSean Jackson’s clock more.

3. G.I. Joey
      December 20th, 2010 | 9:51 am

I’m still really pissed off about this game. I was hoping it woudln’t carry over into Monday.

December 20th, 2010 | 11:48 am

I saw the meltown, it wasn’t pretty. Not a Giants fan, but I would imagine that it had to hurt. I haven’t seen a comeback like that since Bills-Oilers.

5. Evan3457
      December 20th, 2010 | 7:22 pm

Brutal across the board meltdown.

The kind that gets coaches fired.

6. MJ Recanati
      December 20th, 2010 | 7:55 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

The kind that gets coaches fired.

I wouldn’t fire coaches over this. I don’t think the Giants gain anything by cutting ties with Coughlin. Coughlin has been, by and large, the best Giants coach since Parcells and perhaps even better since he’s had much less to work with.

7. 77yankees
      December 20th, 2010 | 8:54 pm

As a Giants fan it stung for a day like any Yankee post season loss would, but as I say, if you win like a champion you have to accept your losses like a champion too.

And you realize the season is not over – if they win Sunday in Green Bay they’re in the playoffs, and as we saw 3 years ago, sometimes the magic just happens.

8. MJ Recanati
      December 20th, 2010 | 8:58 pm

77yankees wrote:

Yep. The Patriots beating Green Bay last night put the Giants right back in the drivers seat.

Now, winning at Lambeau Field against the recovered Aaron Rodgers may not be easy. But all a football team can ask for is control of their own destiny. Go to Green Bay, take care of business, then fly to Washington and put the nail in the Redskins coffin in 2011. Get it done and that loss to Philly will be a footnote…

9. Evan3457
      December 21st, 2010 | 12:31 am

That kind of horrific collapse loss at home isn’t easy to recover from.

I think that if Rogers is healthy, the Giants are probably not going to beat the Packers in Green Bay, and if they don’t, they’re not making the playoffs, and if that happens, Coughlin is gone.

Of the Giants nine wins, only two are against teams that are over .500, neither one on the road.
      ===========================================================
      I have long supported Coughlin, but he’ll need to beat Green Bay, make the playoffs, and probably beat the Bears in Chicago in the 1st round to survive this time.

As I said, that kind of collapse, especially at home, in a game that meant the divisional title, a first round bye, and with several obvious coaching errors along the way, gets coaches fired.