• Is Repeat Wildcard Winner Cashman’s Goal For 2011?

Posted by on December 20th, 2010 · Comments (10)

I’m starting to get that feeling.

What feeling?

That Brian Cashman and the Yankees front office are now thinking “We screwed up this off-season, but, we still have a good team – and, Tampa Bay lost Crawford and their bullpen. So, since we can’t catch the Red Sox, as they’ve loaded up this off-season, let our goal be to stay with the Rays this season – and hope that the O’s and Jays don’t get into the mix – and then maybe, hopefully, get a pitcher in July that will allow us to separate from Tampa and take the A.L. Wildcard for the second year in a row.”

Anyone else feeling this? Think it can work?

Comments on Is Repeat Wildcard Winner Cashman’s Goal For 2011?

1. MJ Recanati
      December 20th, 2010 | 9:14 am

Seems like a reasonable plan to me. Especially if the alternative is panicking into a stupid trade for a starter just to try to keep pace with the Red Sox on paper.

The Red Sox made no secret of the fact that their annual goal is to simply make the playoffs, Wild Card or otherwise. Assuming this is the Yankees goal in 2011 — an assumption on your part but by no means a fact — then I hardly see why that’s a bad strategy.

2. December 20th, 2010 | 9:20 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

It worked in the past for the Red Sox because they knew that, if they won 95+ games, they could lock up the ‘card and not give a crap if the Yankees won near 100 games.

But, can the 2011 Yankees win 95+ games and lock up the card? If they “only” win 90, that might not be enough – with the White Sox, Tigers, Twins, Angels, Rangers and maybe Rays all able to win 90 games too.

3. MJ Recanati
      December 20th, 2010 | 9:43 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Yes, the Yankees can win 95 games.

No, the Rays won’t win 90 games, not with that lineup and the losses to their bullpen.

The Rangers won 90 games with a half-season of Cliff Lee and a career year from Josh Hamilton. I’ll take the under on 90 wins for them.

The Angels won 80 games with one of the worst everyday lineups in the AL. They haven’t added anyone to the lineup and have no one coming up from the minor leagues this year to help in that department. I don’t see them winning more than 90 games this year.

The only competition from the Wild Card might come from the AL Central and, honestly, I’ll take my chances there.

December 20th, 2010 | 11:45 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Yes, the Yankees can win 95 games.

You figure that they did it with little contribution from Burnett and Vazquez and Pettitte missing a few months. And down years from Rodriguez, Jeter and Teix.

This team will live and die with their offense.

5. Evan3457
      December 20th, 2010 | 7:20 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Kennedy will be back, and I think it’s better than even money they wind up with Beltre; they’re the team that needs him most. They also signed downs.

I think they win at least 85 and possibly 90 or more. But that’s just me; your mileage may vary.

6. Evan3457
      December 20th, 2010 | 7:20 pm

As for Steve’s “plan”, that might just be the best thing the Yanks could do right now.

7. MJ Recanati
      December 20th, 2010 | 7:53 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Kennedy will be back

You mean Kendry (Morales)? Yes, but if he goes back to 1B, he displaces Mike Napoli, who found a home there last year. Scioscia is a stubborn mule and hates Napoli behind the plate so Morales in means less of Napoli who is also a good hitter.

Evan3457 wrote:

They need him most but I’ve also noticed that the Angels are quite indecisive with free agents. Beltre should go there but who knows if he does or not…

Evan3457 wrote:

They also signed downs.

Yes. But the Angels have been spending on their bullpen for years now. Meh. Bullpen bucks don’t often pay off.

8. MJ Recanati
      December 20th, 2010 | 7:54 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

I think they win at least 85 and possibly 90 or more.

I could see 85. Can’t see much more than that with the holes in their lineup.

9. BOHAN
      December 21st, 2010 | 2:19 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

What about putting Napoli at DH? Allowes Kendry to play 1b and have Napoli in the lineup… or vice versa

10. MJ Recanati
      December 21st, 2010 | 6:38 am

BOHAN wrote:

Abreu has to start playing DH at this point. They have Juan Rivera in LF, Torii Hunter in CF and the rookie Peter Bourjos to now play RF.

I am sure they’ll find a way to fit all the pieces but I was just making the point that the Angels roster construction is a bit problematic now…