• Come Home Again Johnny?

Posted by on December 22nd, 2010 · Comments (8)

Via Ken Davidoff

While the Yankees’ primary focus remains pitching, they have been communicating with free agent Johnny Damon about a possible return to the Yankees for 2011, Newsday has learned.

Four sources said that Damon and the Yankees were talking about a role in which Damon, 37, would get occasional at-bats as a designated hitter and fill in at leftfield, allowing starting leftfielder Brett Gardner to either rest or shift to fill in for centerfielder Curtis Granderson or rightfielder Nick Swisher.

Damon would prefer a job with more guaranteed playing time, two of the sources said, so a deal is not close and far from guaranteed. But there have been multiple conversations between the two sides.

Who knew Brian Cashman could sing?

Fine Young Cannibals – Johnny Come Home
    Uploaded by jpdc11. – See the latest featured music videos.

Comments on Come Home Again Johnny?

1. Evan3457
      December 22nd, 2010 | 10:19 pm

Assuming Damon is willing to due the 4th OF/backup DH job when he’s so close to 3000 hits and for a reasonable contract, I’d be in favor of it. Yanks have no good 4th outfielder at this point.

2. MJ Recanati
      December 22nd, 2010 | 10:38 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

As long as he knows his role and signs for a low-cost deal, I suppose it’s OK. But, really, I’d rather they just moved on. There’s got to be someone else that can hit a little and play a little defense out there. Shoot, I’d rather spend half a season with Brad Hawpe and then dump him for Colin Curtis from AAA than a full season of Damon at this point.

3. Corey Italiano
      December 23rd, 2010 | 12:51 am

God no.

4. MJ Recanati
      December 23rd, 2010 | 5:27 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

God no.

HAHAHAHA! I forgot how much you hate the guy.

Yeah, I really am leaning towards no here too.

5. Evan3457
      December 23rd, 2010 | 8:04 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Corey Italiano wrote:
      God no.
      HAHAHAHA! I forgot how much you hate the guy.
      Yeah, I really am leaning towards no here too.

From the quotes in the article in the papers, it would appear he wants a regular job. In that case, sorry, Johnny, you can’t go home again.

6. redbug
      December 23rd, 2010 | 6:26 pm

I’d love to have Johnny back. That guy won us the WS in ’09. He’d be great off the bench and as an occassional fill-in.

7. Corey Italiano
      December 23rd, 2010 | 6:55 pm

There is no need for him on this team. We need a right handed hitting 4th outfielder who can spell Grandy and Gardy against lefties.

The Yanks tried to get this accomplished via Austin Kearns. But obviously he didn’t perform well, and there’s a hole there now.

8. Scout
      December 23rd, 2010 | 9:36 pm

Cashman has done so well bringing back guys for a second tour of duty, I can’t see why this wouldn’t work out well. I mean, think about them all: Javier Vazquez, Nick Johnson, Jim Leyritz, Jeff Nelson, David Wells,…the list goes on and on.

(And, yes, I’ll give him Andy Pettitte as the exception that proves the rule.)