• Jeff Francis

Posted by on December 22nd, 2010 · Comments (13)

Via Craig Calcaterra

Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mets, Nationals, Pirates, Rangers and Yankees have shown interest in Jeff Francis, who most recently pitched for the Rockies. Some of those other teams have been mentioned before, but this is the first time anyone has reported the Yankees’ interest.

As Drew noted over the weekend, Francis was rusty at times last year, but he improved in the second half and his velocity was up. He could be a good candidate for sharp improvement in 2011. There aren’t a lot of teams who he couldn’t help in some capacity, even if it’s just as a fourth or fifth starter.

Jeff Francis? Didn’t he star in Forbidden Planet? Oh, well, I guess this means that Sidney Ponson is not available…

Comments on Jeff Francis

1. MJ Recanati
      December 22nd, 2010 | 12:20 pm

He’s relatively young and he’s a lefty. It’s true that he improved in the 2nd half of last year and that, overall, his peripherals look decent.

He’s a free agent without Type A or Type B status. If I were the Yanks, I’d go grab him.

December 22nd, 2010 | 12:37 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Yeah, but imagine all the “Stripes” references we’d be able to get away with! :D

3. BOHAN
      December 22nd, 2010 | 12:52 pm

How much would he cost? I have a feeling they would have to overpay for him.

4. MJ Recanati
      December 22nd, 2010 | 12:57 pm

BOHAN wrote:

How much would he cost? I have a feeling they would have to overpay for him.

On the one hand, there isn’t a whole lot out there that is worth very much money. On the other hand, even table scraps have a cost, relative to other table scraps.

The Yankees need options for their rotation and Francis might be one of them. Thus, he won’t come for free.

If I had to guess, 1Y/$7M or 2Y/$14M gets it done.

5. jrk
      December 22nd, 2010 | 2:01 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Agree 100%.

6. KPOcala
      December 22nd, 2010 | 4:30 pm

“Forbidden Planet”, that’s a classic, and the movie too…Maybe this is the “bridge year” like Boston did last year. Maybe, maybe this is the year that Prince Hal is looking to make their P/L statements look good for buyers…. Something smells fishy about this whole off-season.

7. MJ Recanati
      December 22nd, 2010 | 4:48 pm

KPOcala wrote:

Something smells fishy about this whole off-season.

You’re then theorizing that the Yankees didn’t try to sign Cliff Lee? Because the only fishy thing going on this off-season is that the Yankees didn’t spend the $150M they were poised to spend on the biggest free agent pitcher since CC Sabathia.

Unless your theory is that Hank and Hal decided to sell the Yankees afterthey found out Cliff Lee was signing in Philadelphia.

8. BOHAN
      December 22nd, 2010 | 6:13 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

If I had to guess, 1Y/$7M or 2Y/$14M gets it done.

thought it would be more… thats not horrible

9. MJ Recanati
      December 22nd, 2010 | 7:02 pm

BOHAN wrote:

thought it would be more… thats not horrible

It could be more. I’m honestly just making a guess here. Javy Vazquez got 1Y/$7M from Florida coming off a horrible year so I figure a guy that’s coming off a season that looks bad and with some injury risk goes for the same deal.

10. KPOcala
      December 22nd, 2010 | 7:16 pm

@ MJ Recanati:

For starters I thought that Cashman’s explanation of taking care of Jeter & Mo before turning to the rest of the off-season was strange. Because, in that time a whole lot of players came off the market. I know, that proves nothing, but a few other things have been odd. Suddenly getting frugal with the bullpen is especially dangerous when your club has only one starter that is a 200+ inning eater. I’m not crazy about paying big money for bringing in bullpen help, but Boston hasn’t been too shy. There seems to be no plan for the day that A-Rod or Jeter goes down. Ditto for the outfield. I think that it boils down to 2011 being written off so that the talent in the minors is ready. But again, there has been a lot of noise coming out of the Yankees about the payroll tax coming down, as though they had won something. With Levine’s power coming increasingly to the fore, I have to wonder if the Brothers want out…. And finally, MJ, yes, it’s possible that the Cliff Lee non-deal was the tipping point. I know, proves nothing, but I smell a fish…

11. Evan3457
      December 22nd, 2010 | 8:33 pm

Heard somewhere, might have been WFAN or EPSN radio that Francis was asking for or turned down a deal for 1 Year/$4 million.

Can’t remember where I saw/heard that.

He might be cheaper than MJ suspects because he’s coming off multiple injured years.

12. Evan3457
      December 22nd, 2010 | 8:33 pm

Which is not the same as saying I want the Yanks to sign him.

13. MJ Recanati
      December 22nd, 2010 | 10:28 pm

KPOcala wrote:

Who came off the market during the time Cashman was working to re-sign Jeter and Rivera? Jeter and Rivera both came to terms before Carl Crawford did and the Yanks had no interest in Crawford (or Werth).

KPOcala wrote:

The Yankees just spent $30M for Rivera and $8M for Feliciano. They could potentially use one more righty to fill in Kerry Wood’s role (Jon Rauch?) but, overall, I’d hardly argue that the Yankees have been frugal with the bullpen or even have any particularly glaring need there.

KPOcala wrote:

There seems to be no plan for the day that A-Rod or Jeter goes down.

Eduardo Nunez is the current backup to both. He’s sufficient in limited doses. Unless you were talking more long-term, in which case there’s absolutely no reason for the Yankees to worry about a regular replacement for either at this stage. You don’t keep backups on your 25-man roster for the day they’ll become starters. That’s what the minor leagues are for.

KPOcala wrote:

Ditto for the outfield.

I’m not too worried about that. Between Golson and what’s out there in free agency for non-roster invites, the Yankees can find a 5th OF.

KPOcala wrote:

yes, it’s possible that the Cliff Lee non-deal was the tipping point.

I don’t buy it. You don’t go out there and make a competitive offer for the premiere free agent in baseball one day and then decide to sell the next day. That’s dysfunctional leadership and the one thing I don’t think the Yankees suffer from is a lack of direction or clear purpose. If the Steinbrenners wanted to sell, they wouldn’t have bid for Cliff Lee in the first place. I mean, think about it, what if they’d have gotten him? Then what?