• Yanks Prez Levine Parrots Patience Line

Posted by on December 22nd, 2010 · Comments (9)

Via Andrew Marchand:

[Randy] Levine said even though the Yankees haven’t won the Hot Stove League, having failed to sign top target Cliff Lee, it doesn’t mean that October won’t work out for them.

“Cliff Lee is one of the best pitchers there is in Major League Baseball,” Levine said. “He made a decision for himself and his family that he wanted to be in Philadelphia, and that is what free agency is all about and we respect it.

“That is a lot of money we saved by not signing Cliff Lee. We have one of the best minor league systems in all of baseball. At this point in time, we are getting a lot of calls from a lot of people, agents and other teams and we are going to be patient about it. We have until spring training, until the end of March when the season opens to do the right thing, be careful and weigh our options. I’ve been around a long time, we have sometimes won the Hot Stove League in December and November and we haven’t done too well in October. So hopefully, October is the main time that you have to perform and I’m confident we will have a championship team.”

You know what you get when you mix Hank Steinbrenner with Brian Cashman? You get Randy Levine.

Comments on Yanks Prez Levine Parrots Patience Line

1. MJ Recanati
      December 22nd, 2010 | 3:41 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. Even still, nothing Levine said struck me as wrong-headed or bombastic.

I’ll give you this much though: you’ve dusted off your riding crop amd are beating the “ZOMG! Cashman sucks!” horse deader than dead this week.

2. December 22nd, 2010 | 3:56 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Just think of when he’s gone. And, then, A-Rod is gone. It will be all puppy dogs, flowers, and ice cream pops from me, 24/7!

3. MJ Recanati
      December 22nd, 2010 | 4:07 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

LOL, but I doubt it. You detest Phil Hughes and I’m sure you’ll come up with others over time to take their places, too.

4. Ryan81
      December 22nd, 2010 | 5:11 pm

Still think Randy Levine doesn’t meddle in the baseball operations?

5. MJ Recanati
      December 22nd, 2010 | 7:01 pm

Ryan81 wrote:

Still think Randy Levine doesn’t meddle in the baseball operations?

I don’t. And this quote certainly doesn’t indicate anything to the contrary.

6. December 22nd, 2010 | 9:22 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I would gladly learn to live with Hughes if it meant A-Rod and Cashman were gone.

7. Evan3457
      December 22nd, 2010 | 10:20 pm

Ryan81 wrote:

Still think Randy Levine doesn’t meddle in the baseball operations?

He may meddle some, but as far as baseball decisions go, he’s a “Fredo”.

8. MJ Recanati
      December 22nd, 2010 | 10:32 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I’m calling BS on that. You’re making an empty promise because you know it’ll never come to pass. You spent far too many years and far too much energy stubbornly killing Hughes for everything to suddenly change your mind now.

9. Ryan81
      December 22nd, 2010 | 11:07 pm

@ Evan3457:
      I completely agree he’s a Fredo. But that still doesn’t stop the guy.