• Sabathia To Food: I’ll Pass

Posted by on December 23rd, 2010 · Comments (8)

Buried in this story about CC Sabathia’s charity work in his hometown is a little tidbit that should please all Yankee fans:

Sabathia has lost 15 pounds from his 6-foot-7 frame through a tough offseason training program of cardiovascular workouts and weight training. His knee recovered in just less than a month after the procedure, so he is well into his full exercise program and playing light catch.

He hopes to lose an additional 15 pounds before the season starts.”I’m turning 30 this year, getting a little older,” he said, chuckling.

“Hopefully it will take some pressure off my knee and extend my career.”

As much as Sabathia’s hefty waistline hasn’t impacted his ability to be an absolutely dominating pitcher, it’s still not a bad thing to see him taking his fitness level a little more seriously.  And, certainly, the idea that as he ages, less weight on his body will tax his knees and back less is a sound one.  Considering the Yankees are committed to Sabathia for another five seasons (assuming he doesn’t opt out after this season), I’m happy to hear that Sabathia is doing whatever he can to make sure he’s in peak shape for the future.

Now, if only someone could convince Sucky McWhale Joba Chamberlain of the same thing…

Comments on Sabathia To Food: I’ll Pass

1. Corey Italiano
      December 23rd, 2010 | 1:23 pm

lol @ sucky mcwhale

2. MJ Recanati
      December 23rd, 2010 | 1:27 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      I might retire “#62″ and just stick with that. Even a number is more than that piece of crap deserves in my eyes.

3. jrk
      December 23rd, 2010 | 1:32 pm

What are the chances he bounces back and becomes a valuable 8th inning setup man this season? I give it 25:1.

I’m just not confident with him in ANY inning.

4. MJ Recanati
      December 23rd, 2010 | 1:50 pm

@ jrk:
      In fairness, I do think there’s a chance he can provide value as a late-innings, high-leverage situational reliever. I just don’t think he can do it as currently constituted with such a limited arsenal and inconsistency from pitch to pitch.

5. December 23rd, 2010 | 2:17 pm

On CC, and, heaven help me for saying this because I like to consider myself a healthy eating, exercise more, convert, but, to be 100% candid and truthful, when I saw the report that he dropped 15 pounds, my first thought was “deck chair off the titanic.” He’s gotta do more than that for me to think he’s making an effort here.

6. MJ Recanati
      December 23rd, 2010 | 2:40 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      He’s obviously making an effort. If he weren’t making an effort he wouldn’t have lost the 15 pounds (with a goal for 15 more) and, if anything, he’d have gained 15 pounds since he had knee surgery and thus had a built-in excuse to sit on his butt eating Thanksgiving leftovers.

7. December 23rd, 2010 | 2:42 pm

No question. And, I’m the first person to tell someone, when they want to lose “x” pounds, “You know how you start, first you lose ONE pound. Because, you can’t lose more than one before you lose that first one.” So, I do think it’s great that he’s trying. I just want to see more. He’s way overweight.

8. MJ Recanati