• Yankees Have An Interest In Bartolo Colon

Posted by on December 30th, 2010 · Comments (10)

Hey, looks like Brian Cashman has found his new Sidney Ponson! Via mlb.com

Former American League Cy Young Award winner Bartolo Colon has not pitched in the Major Leagues since July 24, 2009, but he is still planning a comeback and said there are three teams interested in him.

Colon told El Dia, a newspaper in the Dominican Republic, that the Rangers, Yankees and Indians have all expressed some degree of interest in him.

“I’ll go with the one that signs me,” said Colon, who would most likely have to settle for a non-roster contract with an invitation to Spring Training.

Comments on Yankees Have An Interest In Bartolo Colon

December 30th, 2010 | 10:23 pm

Due diligence, but I doubt he’ll sign with the Yanks. Given his conditioning issues (TBH I haven’t seen him pitch winter ball), I doubt we’ll see him in the majors.

2. December 30th, 2010 | 10:29 pm

Isn’t that just dandy. Maybe the Yanks can give Jeff Weaver another shot. Boy It’s really coming together now.

December 30th, 2010 | 11:50 pm

@ Joseph Maloney:
      It really isn’t a big deal…

Sid Fernandez

Len Barker, Steve Howe

Dwight Gooden

If they have something, they stick around, they don’t, they get cut. No big deal.

4. Jim TreshFan
      December 31st, 2010 | 12:14 am

“I’ll go with the one that signs me,” said Colon.
      ___________

Well, duh!

5. Scout
      December 31st, 2010 | 7:47 am

I think we need to avoid overreacting to every free agent and trade rumor that appears in print or on the web. I’ll believe this one when Colon appears in a Yankee uniform.

6. MJ Recanati
      December 31st, 2010 | 9:24 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

It’s really nothing to get so upset about. As Raf and Scout said, it’s just due diligence and throwing some crap at a wall. If it sticks, so much the better. If it doesn’t, it’ll be like you never even heard this rumor.

7. Ryan81
      December 31st, 2010 | 11:32 am

I wanted the Yankees to trade for him…8 years ago

8. MJ Recanati
      December 31st, 2010 | 11:47 am

Ryan81 wrote:

I wanted the Yankees to trade for him…8 years ago

Yeah, from 1998-2005 Colon was a major workhorse and as solid a #2 starter as you could find.

9. JeremyM
      December 31st, 2010 | 12:21 pm

As long as one of the conditions is that he gives his Cy Young to Mo, then I’m OK with this. :)

10. MJ Recanati
      December 31st, 2010 | 12:31 pm

JeremyM wrote:

LOL! Although in fairness I still would’ve given the 2005 CYA to Johan Santana over Mo.

Santana led the AL in K’s, ERA+ and WHIP, his 2.87 ERA was only .01 point higher than league-leader Kevin Millwood that year and he finished second in innings pitched. Santana was the real deal that year and only lost the CYA because he had 16 wins instead of Colon’s 21.