• Cashman On Yanks Plan: “You’re Seeing It”

Posted by on January 4th, 2011 · Comments (17)

Via Bryan Hoch

I caught up with Brian Cashman for a few minutes on the phone this afternoon, hoping for some sort of update on the Yankees’ search for helpful additions. As you might have guessed from the headline, it sounds like the scene is pretty quiet.

“Obviously, I’m looking at what’s out there,” Cashman said. “There’s not much. I’m monitoring what the necessary requests are, financially or player wise. If some drop, then maybe we’ll get a little more serious.”

Cashman wouldn’t speak to any of the specific names that have bounced around, but he did say that his preference would be to add a starter over a reliever, and that pitching is their greatest area of need.

If the season started today, Ivan Nova and Sergio Mitre would probably be at the back end of the rotation, but Cashman wouldn’t say if that scenario seems any more likely now.

“We’ve got a lot of time left on the clock. Who knows?” Cashman said. “The bottom line is, there’s a reason we haven’t done anything up to this point.”

There’s no need to re-hash the Cliff Lee situation again, but this is the price they’re paying for waiting so long for his decision.

“I’m working at it, but in terms of getting results, that’s why Plan B is patience,” Cashman said. “You’re seeing it.”

Obviously, the Internet and talk radio haven’t had the same sort of cool attitude lately when it comes to Yankees fans. I asked Cashman if he hears that impatience from the fan base and if it could influence anything.

“I could care less if the sabers are rattling out there,” Cashman said. “It’s about doing what’s right. I’ve dealt with saber-rattling before. I’ll stick with what I believe in. I’m not going to jump into something stupid.”

Lots of time? Don’t pitchers and catchers report in like six weeks?

Comments on Cashman On Yanks Plan: “You’re Seeing It”

1. MJ Recanati
      January 4th, 2011 | 11:26 pm

How many times have we been over this in the past few weeks?

The Yankees have until the trade deadline to get their team in order. Until then, the Yankees are wise to wait on greater opportunities on the horizon, whatever those opportunities might be. It sure beats wasting money on the bad players currently available.

What about this concept requires constant refreshers? Do you care to suggest which players Brian Cashman should trade for or acquire via free agency right now?

2. LMJ229
      January 4th, 2011 | 11:41 pm

Brian Cashman is well aware that the Yanks obviously need to upgrade their starting rotation and their bullpen. I would have taken a shot at Brandon Webb for the starting rotation. Rafael Soriano would be a big upgrade to the bullpen but I guess he’s asking for too much.

This is the thing that kills me about Cashman. One day he is throwing money away – just look at the salaries he has doled out compared to other teams – and the next day he is penny pinching. I just don’t get it.

3. Evan3457
      January 4th, 2011 | 11:48 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Which salaries, in particular? Just a couple of examples…

4. Evan3457
      January 4th, 2011 | 11:50 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

How many times have we been over this in the past few weeks?

It’s not so much the players, it’s the cost. Cashman says that specifically, in this interview.

He could acquire several players that would help the Yanks right now, but the purchase price in money, talent, or both, is simply too high.

Other teams are waiting for the Yanks to get desperate, and overpay. Let’s see if they can stick to Plan B. I’m dubious, but hopeful.

5. LMJ229
      January 4th, 2011 | 11:54 pm

I know this isn’t going to thrill alot of people but I would try to sign Freddie Garcia. He was 12-6 with a 4.64 ERA for Chicago last year, which was better than two of our regular starters – Burnett and Vazquez. I know he has back issues but overall he is 133-87 with a 4.13 ERA – virtually all in the American League. He wouldn’t normally be my top choice but we are pretty desperate for starting pitching right now, there is not much out there and I would think he could be had for a relatively cheap price tag. It would be worth the risk I think.

6. Evan3457
      January 4th, 2011 | 11:57 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

I’d be willing to go with Garcia at #4. Him or Francis. Francis would be NL coming to the AL East, but leaving Coors field counterbalances. In addition, I’d prefer the weak starters to be left-handed, if possible, so they don’t have to pitch in fear of the right-field porch as much.

7. LMJ229
      January 5th, 2011 | 12:04 am

The highest-paid players in baseball history, by average annual value:
      1. Roger Clemens, $28,000,022 (2007)
      2. Alex Rodriguez, $27,500,000 (2008-17)
      3. Alex Rodriguez, $25,200,000 (2001-10)
      4. Ryan Howard, $25,000,000 (2012-16)
      5. Cliff Lee, $24,000,000 (2011-15)
      6. Joe Mauer, $23,000,000 (2011-18)
      . . . CC Sabathia, $23,000,000 (2009-15)
      8. Johan Santana, $22,916,667 (2008-13)
      9. Manny Ramirez, $22,500,000 (2009-10)
      . . . Mark Teixeira, $22,500,000 (2009-16)

4 of the top 10 were negotiated by Cashman. I’m not saying I didn’t want these players but I think he was basically bidding against himself with Clemens, when he signed A-Rod to that huge contract (no other club was close)and when he increased his offer to Sabathia (more money plus an extra year) to outbid the Brewers who weren’t anywhere close to that. Plus I think he overpaid on Jeter’s new contract – 3 years at $17 million per – when virtually all of the experts agreed that Jeter would have gotten no more than 2 years at $8-10 million on the open market.

8. LMJ229
      January 5th, 2011 | 12:05 am

Good point. Francis would be a good option too I think.

9. Evan3457
      January 5th, 2011 | 12:39 am

LMJ229 wrote:

The highest-paid players in baseball history, by average annual value:
      1. Roger Clemens, $28,000,022 (2007)
      2. Alex Rodriguez, $27,500,000 (2008-17)
      3. Alex Rodriguez, $25,200,000 (2001-10)
      4. Ryan Howard, $25,000,000 (2012-16)
      5. Cliff Lee, $24,000,000 (2011-15)
      6. Joe Mauer, $23,000,000 (2011-18)
      . . . CC Sabathia, $23,000,000 (2009-15)
      8. Johan Santana, $22,916,667 (2008-13)
      9. Manny Ramirez, $22,500,000 (2009-10)
      . . . Mark Teixeira, $22,500,000 (2009-16)

The #2 A-Rod deal was instigated by Hank, though I’m sure Cashman had a major hand in the eventual details.

Re: Clemens, Sabathia, he was bidding into the players’ advantage. Yanks needed Clemens desperately (or thought they did). Same for Sabathia. He also had Sabathia’s preconceptions against living and working in the NYC metro area to overcome.

He certainly overpaid for Jeter, but the objective market value of Jeter was submerged by the political battle over Jeter’s iconic status for the organization. There was very little chance they’d let Jeter go. A poor business decision perhaps, but Jeter will be Joe DiMaggio for decades to come, and the corporate image considerations overrode the green eye shade folks.
      =================================
      Tangentially, the pay a lot one day, go cheap the next isn’t really that hard to figure out.

You are paying top dollar for 6-10 top players. You also have an ownership-imposed payroll cap. Therefore, you (seemingly incongruously) have to go cheap in other areas, such as the bench and bullpen.

10. redbug
      January 5th, 2011 | 6:21 pm

_________________________________________________________________________

The Yanks charge fans plenty. Saying he doesn’t care what fans think is classless.

11. Ryan81
      January 5th, 2011 | 8:42 pm

redbug wrote:

How dare you question the integrity and intelligence of far and away the best GM in baseball. What do Yankee fans want to see on the field when they pay $80 bucks a ticket: Pujols in left? Ubaldo Jimenez out of the bullpen?

January 5th, 2011 | 10:54 pm

redbug wrote:

But he’s right. How many GM’s make moves based on what the fans think? Any GM that would run a team based on what he hears on talk radio is an idiot.

13. Evan3457
      January 5th, 2011 | 11:16 pm

redbug wrote:

_________________________________________________________________________

First of all, not all the fans who “rattle sabres” are paying fans. Some are just cranks who calls sports talk shows.

Second of all, not all of the sabres that are rattling are fans. Some are internet media savants who clearly cannot be aware of everything the Yanks know, and what the organization, from Hank and Hal on down, have discussed and decided.

Finally Raf is 100% right. No GM who changes his strategies based on what he hears on talk radio should be permitted to keep his job.

14. LMJ229
      January 5th, 2011 | 11:38 pm

Cashman should go to Texas and urge Petitte to return for one final season. Give him the same amount that Burnett is making ($16.5 M) and offer him the Clemens-type family clause. Petitte was distraught over his injury last year and his inability to help the team. Tell him if he gets injured again, he can retire mid-season. There’s no shame in that. Then make a big move at the trade deadline. Just getting Petitte in the mix will give the Yankees a better bargaining position with other teams.

January 5th, 2011 | 11:57 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Cashman should go to Texas and urge Petitte to return for one final season.

No need to. If things are as urgent as people seem to think, and Pettitte hasn’t jumped on the opportunity to return, then why waste everyone’s time?

It’s not like Pettitte doesn’t know the Yankees “need” pitching.

January 5th, 2011 | 11:57 pm

The way it’s set now is that the door is open if he wants to come back.

17. Evan3457
      January 6th, 2011 | 5:29 am

LMJ229 wrote:

I don’t think it would matter much, either way. Couldn’t hurt, I suppose, unless Andy has asked him not to personally solicit him.