• Clemens Trial Reason Why Pettitte To Retire?

Posted by on January 7th, 2011 · Comments (8)

Via Bob Klapisch yesterday -

One theory circulating at Yankee Stadium is that Pettitte is spooked by none other than Roger Clemens. Knowing he’s going to be the government’s star witness this summer might be enough to force Pettitte into hiding – especially if Clemens decides he’s going to take his former buddy down with him.

The trial, which is set to begin in July, figures to be a doozy. Unless The Rocket has a change of heart (or tactics), he’s going to swear he never used HGH or steroids. Those who’ve testified otherwise, including Brian McNamee and Pettitte, will be cast as witnesses with bad memories or are just flat-out lying.

Pettitte, however, gave Congress a sworn deposition, during which he said Clemens talked to him about using HGH in 1999, at The Rocket’s home in Houston.

Clemens says Pettitte “mis-remembered” that conversation. Therein lies his defense strategy: for Clemens to prevail, he’ll have to destroy Pettitte’s credibility. One person who’s known the left-hander for many years said: “You think that’s not weighing on Andy’s mind? Who knows what Clemens is going to dig up?”

Indeed, the dual burden of facing Clemens in court and then taking the mound in the Bronx might be too much for Pettitte. After 16 years, he might be thinking there’s no reason to fight two wars, not this late in his career, not at this point in his life.

Since I wrote about this over two weeks ago, I obviously buy into this theory.  How about you?

Comments on Clemens Trial Reason Why Pettitte To Retire?

January 7th, 2011 | 8:47 am

I still don’t buy into the theory. Everyone else played through their little “scandals,” I see no reason why Pettitte couldn’t.

At any rate, given the circumstantial link, we’re going to see more of these stories.

2. MJ Recanati
      January 7th, 2011 | 9:23 am

Raf wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Plus, as the saying goes, “you can run, but you can’t hide.” Whether Pettitte is living in New York as a member of the Yankees or hiding in a bunker in Houston, TX, there won’t be any hiding from this.

Finally, if anyone actually thinks this is going to trial in July obviously hasn’t seen how slowly these types of trials move.

3. jrk
      January 7th, 2011 | 9:24 am

I do not buy into this at all. Some key words are “SET to begin in July”. Which means there is no chance that the trial would start during this upcoming baseball season. This theory really seems like a stretch to me.

4. Scout
      January 7th, 2011 | 9:27 am

Pettitte will return if he feels his heart is still in the game. All the rest is noise.

5. January 7th, 2011 | 10:02 am

I don’t. Barry Bonds was indicted over three years ago, and still hasn’t gone on trial. There is no guarantee Clemens will be on trial next summer — in fact, I will be very surprised if it actually happens.

6. MJ Recanati
      January 7th, 2011 | 10:18 am

lisaswan wrote:

Agreed.

7. redbug
      January 7th, 2011 | 11:23 am

I just hope he comes back.

8. MJ Recanati
      January 7th, 2011 | 1:14 pm

redbug wrote:

Maybe Andy’s waiting around for the money to go up. There’s a story today that the Yanks may be offering $13 mill. After they screwed around w/ him a couple of yrs ago ($5 mill + incencentives), he may be thinking it’s his turn.I’m sure he’s also is sincerely considering retirement. It’s a tough decision for him. He had a great 1st 1/2. He’s a competitor.

Both good points.

I assume he is genuinely contemplating retirement but that, should the itch to play in 2011 outweigh the benefits of retirement, we can rest assured that he will demand fair market value plus “desperation tax” in his 2011 salary. I can’t see Pettitte signing for less than $14M.