• Justin Duchscherer

Posted by on January 11th, 2011 · Comments (15)

Via Jerry Crasnick -

The New York Yankees, still in the market for pitching help, are stepping up their pursuit of free agent Justin Duchscherer, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

Duchscherer, 33, has a career record of 33-25 with a 3.13 ERA in eight seasons with the Oakland Athletics and Texas Rangers. He made the American League All-Star team as a reliever with Oakland in 2005 and again as a starter in 2008.

Duchscerer overcame clinical depression issues during his time in Oakland, but he’s thrown only 28 innings over the past two seasons because of a variety of injuries.

It’s uncertain whether the Yankees are looking at Duchscherer as a starter or a reliever. With Andy Pettitte reportedly leaning toward retirement, New York’s projected starting rotation currently consists of CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Phil Hughes and Ivan Nova in the first four spots, with a multitude of candidates for the fifth spot.

The Yankees have recently been linked to Jeremy Bonderman and Jeff Francis, two other free agents, who, like Duchscherer, are coming back from injuries that disrupted promising careers.

So, I guess this is “Plan B“?  Not the first time he’s been on Cashman’s radar. I still think the dude looks like Patrick Bauchau or maybe a skinny Phil Hughes.

Don’t get me wrong – he has some pitching skills.  But, he’s not a kid any more and it’s been a while since he’s proven that he can be counted on for a full season.

Comments on Justin Duchscherer

1. January 11th, 2011 | 10:26 am

I don’t see it as Plan B to Cliff Lee, I see it as a possible upgrade over Mitre.

2. Corey Italiano
      January 11th, 2011 | 10:27 am

and worst case scenario we’re back to where we are now. I can dig it.

3. January 11th, 2011 | 10:34 am

@ Bill Style:
      (if healthy)

4. clintfsu813
      January 11th, 2011 | 11:13 am

I’m cool with it. Seems like he can be had for 2 mill or less. Throw some incentives in there and call it a day.

5. GDH
      January 11th, 2011 | 11:20 am

They seem to have identified him, Bonderman and Francis as the best of a pretty sorry lot that’s left. I’m totally fine with Justin over the other two in terms of a reclamation project. HIgher upside and (when healthy) good stats in the division, especially Boston, IIRC. I hope we hold it to one more of these guys (already have Prior). But as long as we don’t do what Boston did 2-3 yrs ago with Penny and Smoltz, it’s a good enough strategy.

January 11th, 2011 | 11:53 am

GDH wrote:

It was a sound strategy. And when Penny and Smoltz didn’t show much of anything, they were let go. And after they were let go, they still found work with other clubs.

Nothing wrong with the process at all.

7. jrk
      January 11th, 2011 | 2:53 pm

I’ve been saying for some time, that I’d roll the dice with two or three of these types, and hope that one pans out as a servicable upgrade. I really see no downside to it – as Raf and Corey point out, if it doesn’t work out, you let the guy go, and you are back to where you would be without the signing.

8. GDH
      January 11th, 2011 | 3:52 pm

@ Raf:

What I meant was, the Sox spent $5M on Penny and another $5.5M on Smoltz. Since we’re only talking $3M for both Prior and JD (or similar), this is no biggie and well worth the throw of the dice.

9. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      January 11th, 2011 | 4:04 pm

It’s difficult to ignore the talent Duchscherer has demonstrated when healthy………but I would rather target the lefty Francis!

10. Evan3457
      January 11th, 2011 | 4:07 pm

Well, it’s part of plan B, certainly.

Not all of it, I’d wager.

More like plan “buh”.

11. MJ Recanati
      January 11th, 2011 | 5:02 pm

RobertGKramer@AOL.Com wrote:

I would rather target the lefty Francis!

I would too. I don’t see what’s taking so long with Francis.

12. Scout
      January 11th, 2011 | 5:29 pm

Francis has had better recent health, so he can command greater interest, more competition among teams, and more money.

13. LMJ229
      January 12th, 2011 | 2:15 am

I think I’d go with Duchscherer over Francis. I like the fact that Francis is a lefty but National League pitchers scare me.

Here are two questions, just for the sake of discussion:

I know we have Posada slated for DH this year but what do you think about signing Jim Thome? He can spell Texiera at 1B and last year he hit 25 HR in just 276 ABs. He’s be a terror with our short porch in right.

What do you think we can expect from Mark Prior this year? Will he be given a shot at the starting rotation or is he strictly a bullpen arm?

14. MJ Recanati
      January 12th, 2011 | 9:38 am

LMJ229 wrote:

With Posada at DH and, presumably with Montero backing up Martin, the team’s bench is already loaded with DH-types that have no other place on the diamond. As good as Thome could be as a lefty bat off the bench, there’s just no room for him on this team. Also, Thome hasn’t played 1B since 2005 when he was on the Phillies. In other words, he couldn’t back up Teixeira at this point.

LMJ229 wrote:

We can and should expect nothing from him. While I applaud the signing as a low-risk move with high-reward potential, the odds simply don’t favor Prior making the team, either due to health or performance. He hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since 2006 for a reason, after all.

15. Evan3457
      January 12th, 2011 | 11:32 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Minor bullpen role, if he even makes it up to the majors. If his arm survives AAA.