• Reminds Me Of The Old Joke That Starts “Kei Igawa Walks Into A Bar…”

    Posted by on January 13th, 2011 · Comments (29)

    Saw this in a press release from Foley’s NY Pub & Restaurant…

    Brian Cashman has a new job this off-season: bartender – for one day at least.

    The Yankees GM will practice his mixology skills at Foley’s NY Pub & Restaurant (18 W. 33rd St.) from 6-9 pm on Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2011. The money raised at the event will go to Ed Randall’s Bat for the Cure, which supports prostate cancer awareness, prevention and research. Foley’s will donate 50% of its sales from the drinks that Cashman pours during his shift. This “party with a purpose” marks the 7th anniversary of New York City’s most popular baseball bar.

    “Every year we try to do something fun while giving to a worthy cause to celebrate our anniversary,” said Shaun Clancy, owner of Foley’s NY Pub & Restaurant, which features one of the country’s most extensive public displays of baseball memorabilia. “When we inducted Brian into the Irish American Baseball Hall of Fame last year, I joked that we should have a job swap. That’s when he came up with the idea of being a guest bartender for charity. We mutually agreed that prostate cancer research should be the cause.”

    Seriously, it’s for a good cause. And, it might be the closest that Cashman comes to touching a pitcher this off-season….beer pitcher, that is.

    Comments on Reminds Me Of The Old Joke That Starts “Kei Igawa Walks Into A Bar…”

    1. Evan3457
      January 13th, 2011 | 1:56 pm

      OK, that one’s not bad.

    2. Corey Italiano
      January 13th, 2011 | 5:17 pm

      Agreed, good 1.

      I’d consider attending this if I knew I had a shot at actually getting a couple of drinks there. I know better, though. It’s gonna be packed.

    3. MJ Recanati
      January 13th, 2011 | 5:19 pm

      Corey Italiano wrote:

      I’d consider attending this if I knew I had a shot at actually getting a couple of drinks there. I know better, though. It’s gonna be packed.

      Ditto. I was all excited for a minute and then I realized that it’ll be 10 deep at the bar just to get a drink (kind of like Stan’s Sports Bar on River Ave., across from the old ballpark).

    4. Evan3457
      January 13th, 2011 | 9:16 pm

      Yanks have apparently signed Rafael Soriano to a 3 year $35 million deal.

      It’s a waste of resources, but it’s apparently done.

      I think it’s an error, but I sure hope it works out.

      Please hold together, Soriano’s right elbow.

    5. Evan3457
      January 13th, 2011 | 9:20 pm

      Heyman made the above report. Included is a provision for an opt-out clause for Soriano after both the 1st and 2nd years. I wonder why. You’d think Soriano would be happy with the terms.

      Maybe if Mo goes down, and he closes for the Yanks, Boras will make him opt out for an even bigger contract.

      Is it possible this moves Joba back into the rotation?

    6. Evan3457
      January 13th, 2011 | 9:37 pm

      A small dose of good news.

      If he opts out and signs with someone else after another good year, or two years, the Yanks get two draft picks for it.

    7. MJ Recanati
      January 13th, 2011 | 9:44 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      If he opts out and signs with someone else after another good year, or two years, the Yanks get two draft picks for it.

      Only if they offer him arbitration which, recent history shows, they won’t do.

      This move was indefensible. It was a panic move and, honestly, represents a clear lack of understanding of previous mistakes. Damaso Marte and Kyle Farnsworth (of recent vintage) clearly haven’t taught Cashman a single thing. Moron.

    8. Raf
      January 13th, 2011 | 10:03 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      It was a panic move

      I dunno about that, unless you think this is a response to the Rays signing Farns.

      I’m a bit amazed that Soriano got that deal in a depressed market. If he came down on his price, yeah, I can see signing him.

    9. Evan3457
      January 13th, 2011 | 10:08 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      If he opts out and signs with someone else after another good year, or two years, the Yanks get two draft picks for it.
      Only if they offer him arbitration which, recent history shows, they won’t do.

      If he opts out, it’ll be because he thinks he can do better on the open market. Well, maybe.

      So I think it’s possible they will offer arbitration. I could be wrong.

    10. Kamieniecki
      January 24th, 2014 | 2:14 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Maybe if Mo goes down, and he closes for the Yanks…

      What finally happened?

      Did Mo go down? Did Soriano close for the Yanks? How did Soriano do as the closer? Was he instrumental in the Yanks making it to crapshoots? How much is a crapshoot appearance worth to a franchise? More than one or two million? How did Team Cashman do in the crapshoots? Better than 2004-07?

      Has Soriano’s arm held together through 2014? How many saves did he compile from 2012-13?

      What great prospect did Cashman pick up in the first round of the 2011 draft, with the 51st overall pick? Dante Bichette, Jr.? How has Bichette, Jr. worked out?

      Did the Yankees get a draft pick as compensation for Soriano? Is it possible Clarkin might work out better than Bichette, Jr.?

    11. Evan3457
      January 24th, 2014 | 10:47 pm

      Kamieniecki wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      Maybe if Mo goes down, and he closes for the Yanks…
      What finally happened?
      Did Mo go down? Did Soriano close for the Yanks? How did Soriano do as the closer? Was he instrumental in the Yanks making it to crapshoots? How much is a crapshoot appearance worth to a franchise? More than one or two million?

      The signing is waste of money. Had they not had Soriano, they’d have found another closer, or traded for one. Or called one up from the farm system.

      How did Team Cashman do in the crapshoots? Better than 2004-07?

      Actually, no. They lost the ALDS in 2012.

      Has Soriano’s arm held together through 2014? How many saves did he compile from 2012-13?

      Through 2013. 2014 hasn’t happened yet.

      What great prospect did Cashman pick up in the first round of the 2011 draft, with the 51st overall pick? Dante Bichette, Jr.? How has Bichette, Jr. worked out?
      Did the Yankees get a draft pick as compensation for Soriano? Is it possible Clarkin might work out better than Bichette, Jr.?

      So, you’re saying the reason that Clarkin might be a better prospect than Bichette is because Soriano pitched better for the Yankees than Vazquez?
      THAT is post hoc ergo propter hoc. If that’s what you’re trying say. If it’s not what you’re trying to say, then what ARE you trying to say?

    12. Mr. October
      January 25th, 2014 | 8:02 pm

      Kamieniecki wrote:

      Did Mo go down?

      Rivera did go down at age 43, in a way he probably wouldn’t have gone down at age 33 – shagging fly balls in the outfield – as he’d always done. Randy Levine’s decision to overrule Brian Cashman and sign to Soriano was one of the best personnel moves this franchise has made in the last 4 yrs.

      If you have only $185MM of a $215MM budget spent, a thin rotation, and a 41 year old closer or a Mariano Rivera who comes to you saying the bullpen will need help and that he might retire in 2 years, with no help on the farm, the prudent thing to do is overrule your GM, even if he’s the highest paid GM in MLB, and bring in a Soriano, if he’s available.

      That Rivera had injured himself in the manner he did is a red herring. Levine never said the reasoning behind the signing was to have a “backup closer.”

      “… what the Yankees got for their money is a 31-year-old pitcher who was a standout closer for Tampa Bay in 2010 – 45 saves in 48 opportunities – and now provides a formidable eighth-inning bridge to Rivera. Soriano also gives the Yankees insurance as a backup closer if the 41-year-old Rivera starts to decline… ‘Not to say it won’t happen again, not to say it will,’ Cashman said of being reversed. ‘It’s hard to say.’”

    13. Kamieniecki
      January 25th, 2014 | 8:25 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      So, you’re saying the reason that Clarkin might be a better prospect than Bichette is because Soriano pitched better for the Yankees than Vazquez?
      THAT is post hoc ergo propter hoc…

      That’s not what I said at all – that doesn’t even make sense.

      And that’s not post hoc ergo propter hoc, either, but at least you spelled it correctly; stick with math… And stick with the spell-checking software you’re obviously using – you haven’t misspelled a simple word in weeks…

      Mr. October wrote:

      ‘Not to say it won’t happen again, not to say it will,’ Cashman said of being reversed. ‘It’s hard to say.’”

      It’s hard to say that an idiot like Brian Cashman might be reversed in the future? Off-topic: what do you think we’ll see from Alfonso Soriano in left field this year?

    14. Kamieniecki
      January 25th, 2014 | 8:38 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Actually, no. They lost the ALDS in 2012.

      Actually, yes: Team Cashman got to the A.L.C.C. (American League Championship Crapshoot) once in two years from 2011-12; Team Cashman got to the A.L.C.C. once in four years from 2004-2007…

      And Team Cashman won an A.L.D.C. in 2012, when the $230 million Team Cashman beat the $90 million Birds of Baltimore, in one of the few M.L.B. crapshoots to go to an elimination game since 1995.

    15. Evan3457
      January 26th, 2014 | 5:32 am

      Mr. October wrote:

      Kamieniecki wrote:
      Did Mo go down?
      Rivera did go down at age 43, in a way he probably wouldn’t have gone down at age 33 – shagging fly balls in the outfield – as he’d always done. Randy Levine’s decision to overrule Brian Cashman and sign to Soriano was one of the best personnel moves this franchise has made in the last 4 yrs.

      Idiotic move; idiotic defense of the idiotic move.

      If you have only $185MM of a $215MM budget spent, a thin rotation, and a 41 year old closer or a Mariano Rivera who comes to you saying the bullpen will need help and that he might retire in 2 years,

      The bullpen could’ve been helped without spending $30 million plus for a set-up man.

      with no help on the farm

      100% pure hindsight. The farm was a lot more highly regarded at the time the Soriano signing occurred than it is right now. And one thing it has been good at is producing relievers who can help.

      the prudent thing to do is overrule your GM, even if he’s the highest paid GM in MLB, and bring in a Soriano, if he’s available.

      The needless, panicky thing to do is to spend a potential $30 million plus on a set-up man.

      That Rivera had injured himself in the manner he did is a red herring. Levine never said the reasoning behind the signing was to have a “backup closer.”
      “… what the Yankees got for their money is a 31-year-old pitcher who was a standout closer for Tampa Bay in 2010 – 45 saves in 48 opportunities – and now provides a formidable eighth-inning bridge to Rivera.

      Except he was sub-par as a set-up man, and only pitched well as a closer.

      Soriano also gives the Yankees insurance as a backup closer if the 41-year-old Rivera starts to decline…

      Are you using the “backup closer” angle as justification or not?
      Just another example or your trying to have both sides of an argument again.

    16. Evan3457
      January 26th, 2014 | 5:38 am

      Kamieniecki wrote:

      That’s not what I said at all – that doesn’t even make sense.

      I know it doesn’t make sense; that’s why I asked you what you were trying to say.

      And that’s not post hoc ergo propter hoc,

      Yes, actually, it is.

      stick with math…

      Stick with infantile hindsight. Don’t play the logic game. You’re not good at it.

      And stick with the spell-checking software you’re obviously using – you haven’t misspelled a simple word in weeks…

      And you keep trying to “dominate” the discussion with grammar and spelling corrections on internet replies on a site with no preview and no editing. Aside from hindsight, it’s all you have, and all it proves is that I post my replies faster than you do.

    17. Evan3457
      January 26th, 2014 | 5:52 am

      Kamieniecki wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      Actually, no. They lost the ALDS in 2012.
      Actually, yes: Team Cashman got to the A.L.C.C. (American League Championship Crapshoot) once in two years from 2011-12; Team Cashman got to the A.L.C.C. once in four years from 2004-2007…

      Actually, no.

      Yes, they did make the ALCS during Soriano’s time with the team, but that was in 2011, when Mariano was the closer, and not Soriano. When Soriano was the closer, they lost the ALDS. He had no impact on the ALDS, good or bad.

      In 2011, not only was Soriano not terribly effective, but he was also injured for nearly half the season missing 69 games with elbow inflammation. Even when he came back, he pitched 26 games, 1-2, 14 Holds, 1 save, 2 blown saves. Not terrible, but nothing special, either, as set-up relievers go.

      And Team Cashman won an A.L.D.C. in 2012, when the $230 million Team Cashman beat the $90 million Birds of Baltimore, in one of the few M.L.B. crapshoots to go to an elimination game since 1995.

      Actually, 36 post-season series have gone the distance since 1995, or nearly 2 per post-season. In the 2012 post-season, all four Division Series, and one of the two Championship Series went the distance. But, oh, you were so close.

    18. PHMDen
      January 26th, 2014 | 1:47 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Idiotic move; idiotic defense of the idiotic move.

      Whine all you want because something’s not agreement with some crap you posted, but it was a good move, and a move which a lot of people including team management, players, journalists covering the team, etc., and other commenters on this blog concurred with at the time it was made for the rationale provided at the time the move was made.

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Yes, they did make the ALCS during Soriano’s time with the team, but that was in 2011…

      No it wasn’t; the team lost a 2011 ALDS to Detroit, won a 2012 ALDS against Baltimore, and lost the 2012 ALCS to Detroit.

      Evan3457 wrote:

      When Soriano was the closer, they lost the ALDS.

      Soriano wasn’t the closer in 2011, and Rivera was injured in 2012, when the team lost the ALCS, not an ALDS, to Detroit.

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Actually, 36 post-season series have gone the distance since 1995…

      Which is only about 20% of all playoff series played in that time – not a high percentage of series that are supposedly “mostly luck,” which, of course, they’re not.

    19. Kamieniecki
      January 26th, 2014 | 2:42 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      And you keep trying to “dominate” the discussion with grammar and spelling corrections on internet replies on a site with no preview and no editing…

      @ Evan3457:
      Keep flailing, chump.

      PHMDen wrote:

      Whine all you want because something’s not agreement with some crap you posted…

      @ PHMDen:
      Evan will take this, or any, thread to 200 comments or more if someone refutes some nonsense he’s posted, or the thread is not closed for comments by an administrator before then.

      That’s why Evan is called The Black Knight, after the fictional character who appears in a scene of the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Evan guards certain topics, the topic of the Rafael Soriano signing, for example. Or the topic of the Carl Pavano signing.

      Not supremely skilled in swordplay, unlike the G.M. of the New York Yankees, Evan suffers from unchecked overconfidence and a staunch refusal ever to give up.

      Evan The Black Knight declares, “[N]o argument which refutes nonsense that I have posted on certain topics related to baseball shall pass…”

      In any such argument or discussion, reduced to a mere stump of a man, Evan will not concede or “admit defeat,” his limbless torso screaming, “… Idiotic defense of the idiotic move… this is a classic example of post hoc ergo propter hoc, either that, or your (sic) stating a tautology… Stick with infantile hindsight… You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what’s coming to ya! I’ll bite your legs off!… I’m invincible!”

      @ Evan3457:
      “You’re a loony!”

    20. McMillan
      January 26th, 2014 | 3:53 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Yes, actually, it is post hoc ergo propter hoc.

      Incorrect.

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Yes, they did make the ALCS during Soriano’s time with the team, but that was in 2011, when Mariano was the closer, and not Soriano. When Soriano was the closer, they lost the ALDS.

      Incorrect.
      The 2011 ALCS was between Texas and Detroit. Rivera tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on May 3, 2012. When Soriano was the closer in 2012, they won an ALDS against Baltimore. Soriano and an E.R.A. of 0.00 in the 2012 postseason.

      Evan3457 wrote:

      The farm was a lot more highly regarded at the time the Soriano signing occurred than it is right now.

      It doesn’t matter how “highly regarded” the farm was by Fangraphs “at the time.”

      Kamieniecki wrote:

      Or the topic of the Carl Pavano signing.
      Evan3457 wrote:

      Pavano passed his ‘injury nexus’ by 2005, and another team was reported to be interested in Pavano in my local newspaper, so at least one other GM’s judgement (sic) was as bad as Cashman’s!

      @ Kamieniecki:
      You can’t argue with The Black Knight…

    21. McMillan
      January 26th, 2014 | 4:04 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      And you keep trying to “dominate” the discussion with grammar and spelling corrections on internet (sic) replies…

      @ Evan3457:
      F.Y.I.: “Internet” should be capitalized: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/internet; or: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/internet?q=Internet

    22. McMillan
      January 26th, 2014 | 4:22 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      and all it proves is that I post my replies faster than you do.

      @ Evan3457:
      The fact you you spell “judgment” with two ‘e’s “proves” that you post replies faster than someone else? How? If you spelled it with three ‘e’s, would that prove that you post replies even faster?

    23. Kamieniecki
      February 1st, 2014 | 3:55 pm

      @ McMillan:
      Evan3457 wrote:

      I spell better with an Edit button.

    24. Evan3457
      February 1st, 2014 | 6:17 pm

      PHMDen wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      Idiotic move; idiotic defense of the idiotic move.
      Whine all you want because something’s not agreement with some crap you posted, but it was a good move, and a move which a lot of people including team management, players, journalists covering the team, etc., and other commenters on this blog concurred with at the time it was made for the rationale provided at the time the move was made.

      I’m not the whiner here, Sybil, you are. It’s an indefensible move. That’s all.

      Evan3457 wrote:
      Actually, 36 post-season series have gone the distance since 1995…
      Which is only about 20% of all playoff series played in that time – not a high percentage of series that are supposedly “mostly luck,” which, of course, they’re not.

      Actually, Sybil, it’s closer to 30% of all playoff series in that time, not 20%. 27.1% to be more precise.

      It’s 30.3 in the Division Series round (you know, the round you’ve stated created more mismatches, so that winning it is not a significant accomplishment, but in fact, more of these series go the distance than the ones you think should be more competitive…). The percentage of series that goes the distance goes down in the Championship Series and World Series to 22.%, which you think competition should be getting tougher, not easier.

    25. Evan3457
      February 1st, 2014 | 6:21 pm

      McMillan wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      Yes, actually, it is post hoc ergo propter hoc.
      Incorrect.

      No, correct.

      Evan3457 wrote:
      The farm was a lot more highly regarded at the time the Soriano signing occurred than it is right now.
      It doesn’t matter how “highly regarded” the farm was by Fangraphs “at the time.”

      So, the “fact” that the Yankees were “forced” to sign Tanaka because the farm system has no ready starters is relevant; the fact that farm system was considered to be in a lot better shape in the 2010-2011 is irrelevant to the decision to waste $10 million plus a year on a set-up guy.

      I…see.
      Kamieniecki wrote:
      Or the topic of the Carl Pavano signing.
      Evan3457 wrote:
      “Pavano passed his ‘injury nexus’ by 2005, and another team was reported to be interested in Pavano in my local newspaper, so at least one other GM’s judgement (sic) was as bad as Cashman’s!”
      @ Kamieniecki:
      You can’t argue with The Black Knight…

      Kamieniecki wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      And you keep trying to “dominate” the discussion with grammar and spelling corrections on internet replies on a site with no preview and no editing…
      @ Evan3457:
      Keep flailing, chump.
      PHMDen wrote:
      Whine all you want because something’s not agreement with some crap you posted…
      @ PHMDen:
      Evan will take this, or any, thread to 200 comments or more if someone refutes some nonsense he’s posted, or the thread is not closed for comments by an administrator before then.
      That’s why Evan is called The Black Knight, after the fictional character who appears in a scene of the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Evan guards certain topics, the topic of the Rafael Soriano signing, for example. Or the topic of the Carl Pavano signing.
      Not supremely skilled in swordplay, unlike the G.M. of the New York Yankees, Evan suffers from unchecked overconfidence and a staunch refusal ever to give up.
      Evan The Black Knight declares, “[N]o argument which refutes nonsense that I have posted on certain topics related to baseball shall pass…”
      In any such argument or discussion, reduced to a mere stump of a man, Evan will not concede or “admit defeat,” his limbless torso screaming, “… Idiotic defense of the idiotic move… this is a classic example of post hoc ergo propter hoc, either that, or your (sic) stating a tautology… Stick with infantile hindsight… You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what’s coming to ya! I’ll bite your legs off!… I’m invincible!”
      @ Evan3457:
      “You’re a loony!”

    26. Evan3457
      February 1st, 2014 | 6:29 pm

      Evan will take this, or any, thread to 200 comments or more if someone refutes some nonsense he’s posted, or the thread is not closed for comments by an administrator before then.

      And you’ll respond to most of them, mostly using strawman argument or changing the argument, and continue to blame me for keeping the argument going. Nifty lack of self-awareness and projection to go along with your other mental health issues, Sybil.

      That’s why Evan is called The Black Knight, after the fictional character who appears in a scene of the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

      Most people know what the Black Knight is in reference to, Sybil. Now, why are you called Sybil, again?

      Evan guards certain topics, the topic of the Rafael Soriano signing, for example. Or the topic of the Carl Pavano signing.

      No, I argue for what I believe in. Most of the time, I’m right, and you get awarded:
      http://tinyurl.com/lzg7jxr

      Not supremely skilled in swordplay, unlike the G.M. of the New York Yankees, Evan suffers from unchecked overconfidence and a staunch refusal ever to give up.

      Not supremely skilled at anything, you invoke insult and invective to try to prove your idiocies. When that doesn’t work, you move the goalposts, or change the argument.

      Evan The Black Knight declares, “[N]o argument which refutes nonsense that I have posted on certain topics related to baseball shall pass…”

      Like this.

      In any such argument or discussion, reduced to a mere stump of a man, Evan will not concede or “admit defeat,” his limbless torso screaming, “… Idiotic defense of the idiotic move…

      Or this.

      “You’re a loony!”

      Keep engaging in congratulating yourself in your various disguises, Sybil. It’s OK, we know why.

    27. Evan3457
      February 1st, 2014 | 6:30 pm

      McMillan wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      And you keep trying to “dominate” the discussion with grammar and spelling corrections on internet (sic) replies…
      @ Evan3457:
      F.Y.I.: “Internet” should be capitalized: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/internet; or: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/internet?q=Internet

      FYI, FYI need not have periods in between the F, Y and I.
      As I’ve told you before. But keep trying, Sybil.

    28. Evan3457
      February 1st, 2014 | 6:32 pm

      Kamieniecki wrote:

      @ McMillan:
      Evan3457 wrote:
      I spell better with an Edit button.

      Would like to have one here. Sometimes, I post my replies before I completely proofread them. If that annoys you…good.

      Other websites do; this one doesn’t. You don’t want one? Makes no difference to me whether you think you need one or you don’t.

    29. Kamieniecki
      February 1st, 2014 | 9:37 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Oh, I frequently have to repeat my explanations to the slow-track students, too.

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Sometimes, I post my replies before I completely proofread them.

      @ Evan3457:
      Yeah, right; it’s an issue of not having the time to proofread your time-sensitive nonsense from 12:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. every morning, or in the summer when you don’t work. Why don’t you email your slow-track students, and have one of them correct your posts for you? Have you had the time to ask one of them to explain to you the difference between a tautology and post hoc ergo propter hoc yet, or have you been too busy?