• Bill White Book Coming: “Uppity: My Untold Story About The Games People Play”

Posted by on January 17th, 2011 · Comments (10)

Click here for more information on this book.

Personally, I can’t wait for this one to come out. I can’t remember the last time I was so excited about getting the news on a new autobiography. Major, major, thanks to “77yankees” for the heads-up on this one.

Comments on Bill White Book Coming: “Uppity: My Untold Story About The Games People Play”

1. 77yankees
      January 17th, 2011 | 12:15 pm

Thanks for the props, Steve.

I was perusing Amazon to see if there were any new interesting baseball releases coming out, and nothing caught my eye until this.

For all of us who grew up with White, Scooter & Frank Messer this is a must read. And given White disappeared from the baseball scene completely (with the exception of the ceremony after Scooter passed away), I’m also interested in hearing the story of his NL presidency which I presume left him with a sour taste given the book’s title.

2. January 17th, 2011 | 12:55 pm

Ditto.

Thanks “77yankees”.

One of my favorite Bill White moments came in 1972, Bill was asked by the Yankees to work with Ron Blomberg during spring training in 1972 on his 1st base skills. Bill and Frank were on mike during a televised game during an early 1972 regular season contest. Frank was doing play by play when a ball was hit between first and second. This was a slow bounceer that required the first baseman (Blomberg) to move two steps to his right to glove and make the unassisted play at first. Well, as the play unfolded rather than attempting to field the ball Ron broke to the bag leaving the ball to Horace Clarke who had no chance to make the play. Frank was aghast as he called the play prompting Bill for comment on the fiasco that had just transpired. Bill mentioned his work with Ron during spring training indicating that Blomberg would never be able 1st with his attitude. Bill at that moment summarized the entire Blomberg career with the Yankees. In 1972, an announcer ripping into a home team player was unheard of in these parts.

Forgive me, I have to tell one more Blomberg story. This story as told by Gene Michael appeared an edition of Baseball Digest. It’s the bottom of the 9th, two outs the Yanks have the lead, there are runners on first and second. A grounder is hit to Gene, he looks to third and realizes his throw would be late, he looks to first and sees Blomberg waiting for the throw, so he did the only thing he could do, he threw to second.

January 17th, 2011 | 1:02 pm

77yankees wrote:

It wouldn’t surprise me if that were the case; White didn’t want another term as NL president, and perhaps this book could answer why. Perhaps Coleman was more willing to “play ball?” I don’t remember much behind White & Brown wanting to step down, but I remember that Coleman and`Budig were the last League Presidents before the position was disbanded.

The only thing I can really think of is that White saw the writing on the wall WRT the pending labor agreement, and the machinations behind Vincent’s ouster?

4. 77yankees
      January 17th, 2011 | 3:41 pm

@ Raf:

I specifically remember this incident, which Fay Vincent refused to support him on regarding an incident involving everyone’s favorite cowboy umpire:

I would guess that White became disillusioned with all the politics that came with the job, and being undermined by your own boss in attempting to fulfill your duties as an administrator wouldn’t help that.

5. KPOcala
      January 17th, 2011 | 4:08 pm

@ 77yankees:

Another big thanks to 77yankees, I’m looking forward to what should be a great read.

6. March 28th, 2011 | 6:15 am
    7. April 2nd, 2011 | 2:48 pm
    8. 77yankees
      April 2nd, 2011 | 8:43 pm

Thanks, Steve – expecting my copy via Amazon next week.

Poignant story about his final visit w/Scooter – should be a great read.

9. April 10th, 2011 | 7:27 pm

Gotta serve jury duty tomorrow. Andy Pettitte court. So, I picked up Uppity tonight at B&N…looking forward to reading it tomorrow.

10. 77yankees
      April 10th, 2011 | 8:10 pm

It’s very good, Steve. As as Yankee fan from back then there will be some stories you’ve heard before but also some you haven’t. I found it to be frank and honest book but not a bridge burner type of memoir.