• Yankees/YES Trying To Hide Cashman At Soriano Presser?

Posted by on January 19th, 2011 · Comments (10)

Reportedly, Rafael Soriano’s new contract with the Yankees represents the fifth highest average salary ever paid to a relief pitcher.  Only Mo Rivera, Brad Lidge, K-Rod and Joe Nathan made more on an annual basis than what New York will pay Soriano.

And, the press conference to officially announce his deal is today at 10 am ET. And, what’s on the YES Network right now at ten AM?   Not the press conference.  Instead, it’s a Yankees Classics game from 2009. Why? Is this not big enough news for YES to carry live? Or, are they trying to hide something here?

At least the Baseball Channel at MLB.com is broadcasting this one.

Update: 10:20 am ET. The press conference finally starts. Levine, Cashman, Girardi, Trost, and Afterman are there from the Yankees front office. Cashman talks first. Basically says nothing for ten seconds and then hands the podium to Girardi.

Girardi gives Soriano uniform #29 and Cashman places a Yankees cap on Soriano’s head. It’s photo-op time.

Update: 10:25 am ET. Soriano speaks. It’s all in Spanish. Yankees have a translator there to help him with the media Q&A. Soriano says he’s happy to set up Mo now but he hopes to be the Yankees closer in the future.

Update: 10:34 am ET. Soriano still doing Q&A. And, I think I figured out why YES is not carrying this one. The presser is about as exciting as being stuck in traffic on Geroge Washington Bridge. Soriano is 31-years old and has been playing baseball in America since 1999. But, evidently, he’s got no ability to speak any English.

Update: 10:35 am ET. Soriano is done. That’s it – Jason Zillo says they will break into groups now in the back of the room for media members to ask questions informally. MLB.com drops the feed. Wow. A whopping 15 minutes. I guess we’ll have to read the papers to get the Cashman reaction to any questions.

Update: 11:13 am. Via Peter Botte – Cashman: “Its not my team. I don’t own it. They do…In any job you better be prepared for every decision to not go your way. I think 29 other GMs would love to have their owner shove Rafael Soriano down their throat.”

Down their throat, or, up their poop chute, Cash?

Comments on Yankees/YES Trying To Hide Cashman At Soriano Presser?

January 19th, 2011 | 11:20 am

Not sure what you were expecting, Steve. I would guess the equivalent to this signing would be Tom Gordon?

As for Cashman, I wouldn’t expect anything other than corporate-speak from him. Though it would be cool for him to chairshot Levene, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your take), things don’t work that way.

FWIW, given the way things have developed with Soriano the last couple of years, I will be very surprised if he opts out of his contract.

January 19th, 2011 | 11:49 am

One other thing, I thought the Yankees would have a lot more games in their Yankees Classics rotation. I guess MLB owns the rights to them? That would explain why there haven’t been that many games featured other than what was broadcast over the YES network.

January 19th, 2011 | 11:50 am

The same sentiment could be extended to the MLB Network. I can watch a home run derby from ____ only so many times.

4. January 19th, 2011 | 12:13 pm

Amen Raf. I love the MLB Network. Love, love, love it. But, the HR Derby replays have to go. They’re a waste.

5. January 19th, 2011 | 2:01 pm

I agree, Steve. Why even hold a press conference if you’re not going to air it live on your own network?

6. 77yankees
      January 19th, 2011 | 10:03 pm

Raf wrote:

Indeed – more classic games, and I’m not talking about from the last 2 years…..cough, YES.

And every edition of MLB Hot Stove does not deserve 14 re-airings a day – no matter how much Hazel Mae it would give us.

January 19th, 2011 | 10:19 pm

77yankees wrote:

It would be neat if MLBN would rebroadcast the greatest games they’re counting down, even if they were to do it in a capsule format.

8. LMJ229
      January 19th, 2011 | 10:41 pm

I’m really surprised that Cashman didn’t tow the party line on this one. He certainly let everyone know that he did not want to sign Soriano. I think he is overly sensitive to the criticisms he’s endured about overpaying for relievers and wanted everyone to know that this one isn’t on him. And I disagree with his stance. He is not being a team player. How would he feel if one of our players said “Hey, that play wasn’t my fault, the manager’s the one who called for it”?

9. Evan3457
      January 20th, 2011 | 1:20 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Well, it’s either back his own previous positions, or look like a lying dumbass given what he said to the media in the weeks before Soriano was signed. The benefit of what he did today is to maintain his reputation for honesty with the media, a reputation that is of minor help to the organization as a whole.

10. MJ Recanati
      January 20th, 2011 | 10:54 am

@ Evan3457:
      I mostly agree with this although I can’t completely discount LMJ229′s position either. Soriano won’t sink or swim based on what his new GM’s comments are but it certainly does the team no favors that Cashman is talking about having Soriano “shoved down his throat.”

This wasn’t a Cashman move which pleases me in that he understands why the signing is idiotic. What I don’t like, however, is his attitude about it. You got overruled. It sucks and it hurts. As a fan of his and of the team’s, I’m not happy that there are bunglers and meddlers in the organization calling such silly shots. But you just have to move on and be quiet about it. We know it wasn’t your move so leave it there.